PDA

View Full Version : Goat Island Skiff Pics - Jack of Mudjimba - Queensland OZ

Boatmik
18th August 2008, 06:13 PM
Gerry and Nicola Luhrman ,,, a seafaring couple got rid of their big boat and looked for something smaller and portable for their new shorebound life.

Not ready to "swallow the anchor" yet.

About a year ago they went to see and sail the PDRacers and the GIS at the Biting Midge's. Gerry capsized a PDRacer and fell in love with the Goat.

His Goat "Jack of Mudjimba" was launched a week or so ago and he has just fired me a couple of emails and a CD of pics ... so here goes...

Photoset in full is here - Goat Island Skiff. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/boatmik/sets/72157606722020075/)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2762516248_c0fa3882d3.jpg

Michael and Peter, A quick note from us to say thanks to you guys for all your help over the past year or so. Very deeply appreciated.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3102/2762514476_cf887639eb.jpg

A great design Michael and she was born today on the Twin Waters lakes/canals. It was a good morning for learning as the gentle winds were about 3 - 5 kts!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/2762515548_534ea62029.jpg

The black hull and varnished interior with tan sail look a treat and was a definite eye-turner from all those fancy types having their cuppa on the front porch.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2762514708_8a20a447ce.jpg
More photos will be sent when I download from camera.

Got the surveyor's report today too and so we can now insure her to his recommended value. I think he likes the design and wishes he had the time to build a GIS!

Haven't started the bamboo oars yet Michael but for sure, plotting is underway! Stay tuned.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3044/2762517674_483394e10e.jpg

At this time I made comments about more downhaul and to move the weight into the middle of the boat more (that is what the big seat is there for). But I also offered my congratulations on a very gorgeous looking vessel.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3021/2761670733_bc29b52064.jpg

Also the surveyor assessing the boat for insurance went above and beyond the call of duty (I think he belongs to this forum too!!! :U

Thanks Michael. Yes the surveyor made three trips up here. First trip was just in time as I was about to close off the flotation tanks and at that time he did a very serious inspection for a couple of hours. The others were to check work in progress, then seeing the final result the other day.

I'll have a look at the boom and check out Peter's pics. Thanks.

Best,
Gerryhttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3294/2762516774_12505a9860.jpg

And more ...

M.
Thanks for boom lift advice and have done so. Today a really big guy mate of mine (John of Auckland ) and me (slightly smaller I might add!) took her out.

As per attachments, you will note some superficial changes made to construction and I comment below. If you are interested, the best thing really is for me to burn a cd and send to you. If interested then please advise me of your mailing address.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2761671805_ddfe9d7737.jpg
Photos attached and comments are:
N: my partner Nicola at the helm after a sojourn last week. Not seen is a black round hatch added to the foredeck and off to one side, positioned so I can reach the U bolt nuts on the stem plus to check out internals with help of torch shining into lower hatch as per your design instructions.

Winged view: change of midships seat arrangement structure so as to reenforce centreboard case and provide room for fishing pole socket at each side and cover for anchor/rode fitted to port side underneath.

Subframe aft: I've fitted a hatch to the topside of the tank for checking out internals, etc. and to provide for minor lightweight storage. You could see a bit of plastic tubing that connects two draining mouldings running from cockpit through transom.

Jack of Mudjimba: transom showing hardwood blocks for o/b motor mounting. You've done a brilliant job getting the rudder hardware spacings perfect for missing the long shaft Tohatsu 3.5 hp. Ta!

Incidentally, I've found a guy in Victoria who does very reasonably priced vinyl cutout lettering and his delivery is quite astonishing! I can send details if you guys in Adelaide think you could use him. Best prices here on Sunshine Coast ranged from $80 to $35 for what you see in photo. Victoria guy charged me $15 inclusive of postage into my Pacific Paradise PO box. Took three days after design finalised for delivery to reach me! Huh?!!

Many thanks again for a super neat design!

Best,

Gerry

PS. My mate John of Auckland (built his own Herreshoff 38' ten years ago and can't remember name of design) and who helmed Jack this avo, loves your work and is keen to build a GIS. Wow!

m2c1Iw
18th August 2008, 09:28 PM
Congratulations to Jerry and Nicola what a great job you have done.

Jack certainly looks a treat and I like the unnecessary mods :D. May I ask though the purpose of the circle of wood supporting the top of the forrard tank?

A question re trailer what make etc looks just the go.

Mike

Joost
19th August 2008, 04:07 AM
That GIS looks really nice! Black seems to be a very nice alternative for white (I have settled on the latter). I also really like the curved beam on the transom, it suits the boat very well.

Joost

Boatmik
19th August 2008, 10:43 AM
Howdy,

Thanks for the gentle stir on the mods!!! They are often the thing that drives designers nuts.

There are only two real criticisms I have of what Gerry had done - I like they way he has approached the boat hugely. It still is 100% a GIS, it is still light and it is still beautiful.

1/ He has made the width of the centre seat where it contacts the side of the boat quite narrow. Where this is a really good place for the crew. They are inside the boat, their weight is helping to hold it up and they are up high enough to see what is happening. So it is nice if that bit of the seat near the side of the boat is quite wide.

I still like the square seat better, but Gerry has executed the curved one with nice light framing and has integrated the appearance of the centrecase.

2/ The only other criticism is ... that I know people like to do it ... but it is not really traditional ... and there are at least two good reasons not do do it ... but, extending the gunwales past the stem into a point is not a really good idea.
It will do significant damage to whatever it sticks into
A pointy end is quite vulnerable to minor damage itself (I made this mistake with Beth's Stem years ago and promptly tapped a catamaran rudder when launching ... two big dents in the feather edge of the stem.
It is not Traditional and looks a bit strange from the side.

But as you can see ... I am not screaming blue murder!

You see, the way I draw the boat is pretty well how I would build it. I like the simple and unadorned. So for someone who to tell me to do otherwise would be very annoying after a while.

BUT at hte same time there are a number of things that really define the GIS and it would be a shame to lose them.

The main one is that everything needs to be light and simple ... and Gerry's centre seat is definitely that - It is quite complex until it gets covered and then it simply integrates the centrecase. My general rule in designing is that the curve I want to be most obvious is the sheerline. So I get rid of any extra curve that does not complement it.

(the main reason is that I am lazy ... but that is the technical reason for keeping all the bits of boat square)

The other thing is that the centre of the boat is the best place for weight - so the anchor is under there - thankyou!!!! Gerry has storage under the rear seat, but he is saying he will only use it for light stuff.

Steel tiller ... I think that is a hoot!

Look at the photos in the full series to see how he has organised the cockpit drains through the transom. I'd probably make the mounting blocks a bit more compact or move them to the inside of the buoyancy tank so the holes are the only things that can be seen. But this is all well executed and a bonus for the boat.

If anyone wants to box in the mid seat for more buoyancy, this is the way to organise the boat drainage as well.

And the Black ... doesn't that look GOOD. Black does have a couple of longer term problems (as do dark reds) as the hull gets quite hot. Some panic merchants remember that epoxy has a relatively low softening temperature ... but I have never seen one instance of any whiff of a real problem.

But at the same time, I have seen glue seams move just a tiny amount so that you can see the outline of joins. Considering that there is only one join in the outside of the hull then that won't be much of a problem for the Goat.

A could moulded or strip boat ... I would avoid those two colours carefully. Also for a boat with sleeping accommodation.

Anyway ... thanks hugely ONCE AGAIN Gerry and Nicola!

Michael

CCBB
19th August 2008, 03:35 PM
I think the curved top frame for the transom is the nicest touch.

RE: dealing with how to end the rails at the stem...how Mik draws it looks/acts best b/c the hardwood comes to the very forward tip of the gunwales and rounds over to the other side of the stem.

I taper my rails quite a bit such that the thickness of the rail diminishes from full thickness (starting perhaps 25% aft of stem) to maybe 1/2 the thickness roughly at the outer stem...I'd then laminate on the hardwood piece...otherwise the taper would go through most/all of the hardwood if the tapering was done after the hardwood lamination. I can take some pics if there is interest. I also taper the width of my rails towards the ends of the boat b/c the visual effect of not doing so is that the rails actually appear to the eye to grow in width as the eye approaches the stem. Tapering the width as well as thickness is fun and should be subtle...I will take a shot of my current boat to illustrate my point better....

cheers,
clint

Boatmik
19th August 2008, 08:35 PM
The GIS plans and the Eureka plans cover the tapering and its method. It looks much better that way!

MIK

coogzilla
22nd August 2008, 12:57 PM
It's a very beutiful boat. Congrat's on a good build. Wow.
Mick I thougt "blue murder" was a yank term. Well Canuck maybee.

Regards, Coogs

colinml
23rd August 2008, 02:46 AM
Lovely. Thanks so much to Gerry and Nicola for taking the time to document the build. Very helpful to me as I plan my own.

Regards,
Colin

Gerry38
27th August 2008, 09:49 PM
Hi guys and thanks a million for your comments. Nicola and I had a terrific time building our 'baby' and we know she'll look after us nicely. I'm here to help and encourage those of you who are like I was. Never built a boat before! Feel free to ask me whatever. I'll do my best!

Boatmik
28th August 2008, 10:42 AM
Most of my collected Goat pics are in these sets. Anyone who wants to contribute more is welcome. It is a great record of different boats.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boatmik/collections/72157600859659666/

Michael