PDA

View Full Version : New member from Adelaide

Village_inc
18th August 2008, 10:58 PM
G'day Everyone,

Just found this forum while trying to gather ideas for my latest project. (Single bed with trundle for my 2.5 year old son).

About me:-
I'm a maintenance fitter by trade and currently work for a large car maker in Adelaide (not sure if I’m allowed to mention there name). I have done a few projects with wood over the years but nothing on the scale I am about to undertake, so thought it couldn't hurt to get some tips and hints from all you woodworking experts. I will try and post some pics as the bed takes shape.

Cheers,
Andrew :2tsup:

artme
18th August 2008, 11:05 PM
G'day Andrew and welcome to the rathouse.:):):2tsup:

Brother is a maintenance fitter for Amcor. He is extremely good with his hands ( and his head) and is a marvelous woodworker but would sooner deal with metal.

Studley 2436
18th August 2008, 11:06 PM
Beauty Village need some more Crow Eaters for sure! Major car maker in Adelaide? Damn that is a hard one to work out!

Beds can be as plain or as fancy as you want what tips do you want?

Studley

watson
18th August 2008, 11:07 PM
Welcome aboard Andrew,
I hope you have as much fun here as the rest of us.
Looking forward to seeing pics of the bed project, and if you get stuck ...just ask.

Village_inc
18th August 2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome

I have drawn up some plans for the new bed on CAD but am not sure about the joints at this stage Studley. Not sure how to post the plans on this site yet but I will endeavour to work it out.

Andrew.

Studley 2436
18th August 2008, 11:23 PM
I do have an idea for a bed join based on Japanese Joinery which can be complicated at times as they had no glue that was up to much. However for the join of the beam to the head it seems really smart to just use their teqnique of running a tenon through and driving in a wedge to keep it together. Should you want to take it apart you can just bump the wedge out.

Studley

Village_inc
18th August 2008, 11:31 PM
I was jut going to dowel the beam to the head and foot boards and put those "nut inserts" in so I could tie it all together with some bolts. Was thinking about doing that for the head and foot boards as well, but then I stumbled on to this site and saw the neat mortice and tennon joins someone had done on a babys cot.

Not sure of what those "nut insert" things are really called not sure you know what I am talking about.

joe greiner
18th August 2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome

I have drawn up some plans for the new bed on CAD but am not sure about the joints at this stage Studley. Not sure how to post the plans on this site yet but I will endeavour to work it out.

Andrew.

I'm not sure, but I think SketchUp is the only format presently available for uploading plans. Two other ways, though:

1. Within CAD programme, Press "Print Screen" on your keyboard to capture the image to the "Clipboard." Then open a graphics programme, and select "Edit," "Paste" and "Save As" to an acceptable file type. This can be cumbersome because of the need to establish picture dimensions and such.

2. Decidedly easier: Print the CAD image, and photograph it as jpg, using resolution appropriate to the upload limit. If the file size is too large, use this: http://sitereportcard.com/imagereducer.php to reduce to an acceptable size. Rename the file(s) to something more manageable if needed.

Village Inc: There are several types of "nut inserts." Simplest is probably T-nuts with prongs engaging the wood.

[Lost track of who I was quoting. :- ]

Joe

coffenup
18th August 2008, 11:39 PM
welcome village-inc another south aussie great can't wait to see your project
Regards Michael