PDA

View Full Version : Face Flattening Jig

Ed Reiss
19th August 2008, 01:12 PM
Hi All….

Even though I’ve been turning for a number of years now it was’nt until recently that I figured segmented construction and turning would be fairly easy. Well, just like my dearest SWMBO is want to say….WRONG!:anoyd:

The actual cutting of the segments goes fairly easy after having built the cutoff sled angled for 12 segments. Even the glue-ups were’nt too much of a problem. What was a problem was getting the glued up ring faces flat. Tried using bowl gauge, scraper, sandpaper mounted on block of wood, etc. None of these methods worked well….so I came up with a fixture that solved the problem and now I get flat straight rings.

I invested in a cross-slide vise which was mounted on laid up plywood fitted to sit on the ways of my Nova 1500. After some initial adjustments, it now tracks straight across to achive a flat surface…critical for getting the rings glued up correctly.

Using Cole jaws to hold the work up to a 8” diameter ring can be milled. I clamp HSS tool bits in the vise to do the cutting.

After getting this rig up and running it made facing rings childs play!!!

The set-up is also useful for getting a straight, flat face on a waste block face plate.

Cheers,
Ed :D

I_wanna_Shed
19th August 2008, 02:07 PM
Great idea Ed, and simple too!

thefixer
19th August 2008, 04:09 PM
:2tsup:Brilliant

steck
19th August 2008, 05:08 PM
Very ingenious!!
And thank you for posting such a clever yet simple solution!:2tsup:

BobL
19th August 2008, 07:48 PM
Cleva - Fella! I'll be stealing and modding that idea.

joe greiner
19th August 2008, 11:29 PM
Ordinary wood lathe: As cheap as you like.
Cross-slide vise: From US$40 - $200 (wild guess).
Converting a wood lathe almost into a metal or machinist's lathe: Priceless!

BTW, the cross-slide vise is very useful on the drill press, and can also be used for holding an auxiliary spindle for cutting threads in wood (Mine is currently a Work-In-(non)Progress); lemme see if I can find a link or two:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/manasan/english/diy/turning/turn-1.htm (Scroll down to Aug.01/2004).
http://www.atbq.qc.ca/jm2/thread.htm (Not quite the same as with a cross-slide vise, but you get the idea)
I didn't record the link - just downloaded some stuff: Google [woodturning veitch] for another example.

Joe

oldiephred
20th August 2008, 10:08 AM
You mentioned building a cutoff sled so I thought I would try to pic. mine which I built years ago and could not get along without. It can be used to cut any angle and the slide can be set so evrey piece is exactly the same length, which as you know is critical and difficult to achieve. The arm is pivoted and locked in place using the black knobs and the pin is inserted into holes for the most commonly required cuts. The numbers by the holes (if they come through on the pic.) represent the number of sides desired for the project at hand.
Maybe it can be of use to someone.

Ed Reiss
20th August 2008, 12:25 PM
You mentioned building a cutoff sled so I thought I would try to pic. mine which I built years ago and could not get along without. It can be used to cut any angle and the slide can be set so evrey piece is exactly the same length, which as you know is critical and difficult to achieve. The arm is pivoted and locked in place using the black knobs and the pin is inserted into holes for the most commonly required cuts. The numbers by the holes (if they come through on the pic.) represent the number of sides desired for the project at hand.
Maybe it can be of use to someone.

I have a couple of dedicated angle sleds made up, but your design looks versatile...might have to make one.

Thanks for posting the pic.

Sawdust Maker
20th August 2008, 12:47 PM
joe greiner

great links thanks :2tsup:

oldiephred

interesting design, thanks :2tsup:
That's not blood on it is it? :o

is that being pushed from the right side of the saw blade?
and how thick is the base?

Sawdust Maker
20th August 2008, 12:54 PM
Ed Reiss

So you don't feel left out :no:
tis a great design and I can see it being copied by yours truly :D

thanks

Ed Reiss
20th August 2008, 01:47 PM
Ed Reiss

So you don't feel left out :no:
tis a great design and I can see it being copied by yours truly :D

thanks

Sniff...was kind'a feelin' down....but, alls good again!!!! Copy away to your hearts content...no problem...feel free psssst, just drop me a fiver once in a while!!:U

oldiephred
21st August 2008, 09:38 AM
No that's not any type of bodily fluid but that might be more luck than skill. With some of the stupid things I have done, fortunately all escaping body fluids have ended up at a lower level.:doh:
It is pushed on the LEFT side of the blade but a couple of people who have used it think it would be better on the RIGHT. That would mean making the whole thing opposite hand. It is made from 11/16" MDF with oak swing arm and slide.
I don't mean to insult BUT, make it a bit wide then run it through the saw to insure minimum clearance when it is all made.
Regards

Sawdust Maker
21st August 2008, 10:12 AM
Doh :doh:

If I'd looked more closely I'd have seen the teeth of the blade and worked it out
thanks

I'm looking to make something similar for cross cutting or bias cutting for pen blanks
cheers

artme
21st August 2008, 10:30 AM
Very neat and clever solution Ed! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: