PDA

View Full Version : Ern & Co - where does it all end?

jefferson
19th August 2008, 04:43 PM
Ern visited me here in Kiewa last Friday.

It was another productive learning exercise, to say nothing of the great company.

But - and this is the great but - it has again proved a costly exercise!

I placed another order with Jim Carroll today. Apparently I need some square scrapers, some sanding attachments etc etc. Thanks Ern, I haven't got the bill yet. But I do have a half completed redgum platter which looks very, very nice. When complete, I'll post a pic. Any criticisms direct straight to Ern please.

Which leads to reason for this post - what is the "must have" list of tools etc? I just seem to be endlessly adding to the tool kit and have become a "favoured customer" in some Vic stores. I'm not talking about a "make do" or a basic kit. But forget the deep hollowing stuff - I want to turn spindles for table legs / split turnings, plus lidded boxes and the occasional platter / bowl!

Already I own 5 decent skew chisels, 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1 1/4 plus a rounded P & N 1 1/4. All seem to get a workout but I think you get my drift. I can't blame the tools here. Add in 4 scrapers, 5 spindle gouges, 2 bowl gouges, 3 parting tools....

So any thoughts on faceplates, chucks, jaws would give me some idea where it all ends. Either way, retail therapy sure seems to help!

Jeff

Gra
19th August 2008, 04:48 PM
give me some idea where it all ends.

It doesnt :U:U:U

Jim Carroll
19th August 2008, 06:18 PM
Only buy what you need when you need.

It is great to have all the tools but save money for the ones you really need.

So where are the photos of you and Ern.

jefferson
19th August 2008, 08:35 PM
I put this one is the wrong section, never mind.

Ern has gone AWOL, too much time in the snow. He'll pay next visit. I've got some timber set aside for his efforts too.

And thanks Jim for letting me know that I should buy when needed. That seems to be every second week at the moment!

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
19th August 2008, 08:41 PM
I put this one is the wrong section, never mind.

Not anymore :2tsup:

As Gra says, it is never ending :;

And what Jim said :U, buy as you need them, that's what I do :B

woodwork wally
19th August 2008, 09:25 PM
Hi Jeff as Jim says when you need it. BUT as you are finding out about once a fortnite is when you need it . I find though that you can get by without going overboard . it would be nice to have one of each but the hip pocket nerve is likely to start playing up after a while so just have a long hard look at DO I Really NEED IT REALLY BAD . if yes then hey IT AINT STOPPED YET . I go to the wood work show on a small scooter Thats my budget master When I cant put anymore on then it's home time . anyway Jeff it's a great pastime so enjoy it Reards WW. Wally

joe greiner
20th August 2008, 12:11 AM
What they all said. But one way of slowing down the cash flow is to make some of your tools and accessories: e.g. Longworth chuck for finishing the bottom of bowls, a steady rest or two or three, etc.

And you can slow down the rate of infection by concentrating on a particular product, such as boxes, bowls for a while, candlesticks, vases, weed pots, and such; and practise, practise, practise until you're halfway satisfied with your skill or become bored (Heaven forbid!). Works for me, except the last phase.

Joe

Ed Reiss
20th August 2008, 04:43 AM
Hi Jefferson...

You are well and truly s*****d!!! :oo:

It's a never ending battle, albeit a most pleasant one, in acquiring "tools for turning" (although my dearest SWMBO, better half doesn't think so).

Remember, the very first time a new tool's edge hits the grinding wheel it's shot, kaput, finished, gone!!!! (I'll be glad to send you my address where you can send those useless tools):U

Ed :D

jefferson
20th August 2008, 05:01 AM
Ed,

Your comment that a tool is shot after the first grind is interesting. When I visited , he said much the same thing - the first couple of mill of a new tool won't hold an edge for long. Is that true? I've noticed that the tools I've re-sharpened a few time seem to be getting better. They seem sharper and stay that way longer.

Or is it just me? Maybe my sharpening technique is improving.

Just been re-reading one of the Raffan books.... Seems I need a sheer scraper.

Jeff

Ed Reiss
20th August 2008, 12:48 PM
Jefferson...

Sounds like your friend has been mis-informed for sure....it's the very first 1/100th of a mil where all the damage takes place, you really don't have to wait for a couple of mils!!! It also sounds like gets his turning tools like I do! :wink:

Richard Raffan counts on people to re-read his book just for the express purpose to sell more sheer scrapers...I've banned his books & videos from my home!!!!!:banned2:

Ed :D

Sawdust Maker
20th August 2008, 01:04 PM
need = want = need = want = need = want = need = want = need :doh:

where's that P&N cattledog, Jim's website, vermec's website etc :D

... sorry dear I had to have it to make you this pretty thingy. :U

rsser
20th August 2008, 03:03 PM
's quite right I've found. The first 1/8 should be ground off. And at the other end you'll find the tempering gone. Typically with coil tempering only 4 - 5" of the tool is hardened.

All good advice above.

We can get addicted to buying tools - I tend to do it when I can't turn - but start with a basic kit and then as advised above work out what lights your fire and go from there.

Another point, already noted by Joe, is that there is always more than one way of skinning a cat. So you saw me use a heavy square end scraper. Here are some alternatives and apologies for not mentioning them at the time: regrind a scraper or skew that you already have but don't use; get an old electric planer blade and cut and grind it to a tear-drop or square shape then mount on a rod of mild steel; or buy a tear-drop scraper tip like the Munro and mount it. A little more exxy but more flexible: get a tool like the Sorby multi-tip, which gives you a scraper tip (tho not of esp. good steel) and a couple of hollowing toothpicks mounted on a rather good shaft/handle combo.

You can also scrape with a skew with a freshly raised burr, or with the wings of a fingernail ground gouge though that takes a steady hand to avoid corduroy.

Glad you enjoyed our session Jeff; I did too. Currently sussing out when I can drop in again to help with the hollowing.

dai sensei
20th August 2008, 05:42 PM
Buying when you need it only works if you have good foresight. Me, sure as eggs, as soon as I need it, it will be a Sunday or before a WWW show and I can't get it. So for me, it is when I have the money.

hughie
21st August 2008, 11:09 AM
Ad Infinitum..............:U

But on the other hand...below are some pics of a few tools you can easily make your self.

The scraper blade can made out of a few things ie cut the end of a softened file and drill it out to fit your tool stock. In this instance its a piece of HSS saw blade [ pics 1&3 ], burnt the hole in it with the arc welder............yeah! rough, I know..:U but I was in a hurry to get the scraper up and running.

The smaller tips are Tnungsten Carbide, sliver soldered and ground up later.

rsser
21st August 2008, 06:07 PM
I'll bring up a couple of home made tools for hollowing tomorrow Jeff. Oh, and also one that'll have the missus' eyebrow raised again :oo:

I won't raise other eyebrows by wearing the normal XC clobber: black tights, red boots, gold and brown thermal top, black vest. For turning: Blunnies, black jeans, flannel shirt and black fleece.

What are other turners wearing? :D

jefferson
21st August 2008, 06:28 PM
Sounds good Ern, I'll get a pie or something out for lunch.

Now if you are telling me that I need some hollowing tools..... Well, maybe some more business for Jim Carroll. I should have those scrapers etc that were on the "essential" list tomorrow. But I did order some tungsten tipped Forstner bits that should arrive soon. (Get cracking Jim!)

But there must be an end to it soon. I know the pros say practice, practice before venturing onto good wood, but I've gotta start producing something soon.

Only a couple of catches today. The skew is now relegated to vee and planing cuts, not beads, until I get some more confidence. The detail gouge seems to be doing the job anyway.

As for what other turners are wearing, dunno. Pretty casual affair here as you know. I haven't got an ear-warming cap like .

Jeff

rsser
21st August 2008, 09:01 PM
No, no-one short of pimply skate-boarders can match 's head gear :-}

RETIRED
22nd August 2008, 08:37 AM
Yep, one cool (warm) dude:D

Sawdust Maker
22nd August 2008, 10:24 AM
What
don't you turn in a tux?
what is the world coming to?

wands
22nd August 2008, 12:34 PM
I often get my what I need and what I want mixed up. There are always the well grounded formunites like Jim to steer us wonderers back on track.

However, I did spot these on ebay, just wish I had the money and the conviction that I really do need them (10 P&N turning tools, starting at $500).
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220269426680&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

I tend to turn in whatever I have on at the time, if it was not for the SWMBO, I'd turn in my suit, minus tie of course.

Cheers and Enjoy, Steve

Ross
22nd August 2008, 03:19 PM
Yep, one cool (warm) dude:D

on a skate board......................now there is a picture.:doh:

Calm
22nd August 2008, 03:42 PM
Here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=79582&d=1217768924) is the "cool dude" referred to. in his now infamous hat ( i think)