PDA

View Full Version : simple truck

sumu
21st August 2008, 03:21 AM
Hello,

I accidentally made this truck for my son about 7 years ago. I was playing with my smaller routah and preparing a jig for completely different purpose. This was at first a piece of scrap wood I used for jig adjustments, and suddenly it started to evolve into a shape. Could not stop there then :).

It is made of pearwood, axles are walnut and wheels are mahogany. BLO finish.

All six wheels were precisely aligned to a level after some drifting on a belt sander.

Kippis,

sumu

AUSSIE
21st August 2008, 07:52 AM
You will have Guys everywhere making these.
It will be like they are breeding.
Could you draw it up with measurements etc
so others can make them please.
Cheers Aussie

Ozkaban
21st August 2008, 09:05 AM
All six wheels were precisely aligned to a level after some drifting on a belt sander.

Who's the kid in this one???

Reminds me of a midly crass joke about the similarities between toy trucks/trains etc and certain bits of a womens anatomy - They're meant for kids but it's the Dad's who end up playing with them...:D:D

Nice work though. all I ever seem to be able to do by accident in the workshop is turn good timber into junk - not the other way around:D

Cheers,
Dave

munruben
21st August 2008, 10:00 AM
Looks solid Sumu, Kids love that kind of stuff.. Good work.:2tsup:

Yeldarb
21st August 2008, 10:12 AM
Yes...dimensions please :)

Lovely little truck :2tsup:

My mistakes usually only end up as the original design, but slightly smaller :D...either that or warming the lounge room :wink:

prasunsen
22nd August 2008, 04:32 AM
Lovely trucks :) What's their size?

Stuart
22nd August 2008, 05:46 AM
So unusual having the entire boy being a single block of wood, and that is where it is very appealing - a very strong / kid-durable design because of it.

Unusual only because people don't normally try it, because of the perceived difficulty.

Love the idea that the truck did some 'drifting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_%28motorsport%29)' on top of the belt sander, with the added bonus of finding the wheels all level!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjaxez9OIX8

sumu
22nd August 2008, 07:31 AM
Huh, I did not think it would draw this much of attention :? . Thanks, mates :) .

Honestly, it is completely a free-form piece of work with no particular preliminary planning whatsoever.

Who's the kid in this one???

Aww, what's wrong with a quick shed drifting? :p

So unusual having the entire boy being a single block of wood, and that is where it is very appealing - a very strong / kid-durable design because of it.

Unusual only because people don't normally try it, because of the perceived difficulty.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/%3Cobject%20width=%22425%22%20height=%22344%22%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22movie%22%20value=%22http://www.youtube.com/v/Kjaxez9OIX8&hl=en&fs=1%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22allowFullScreen%22%20value=%22true%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cembed%20src=%22http://www.youtube.com/v/Kjaxez9OIX8&hl=en&fs=1%22%20type=%22application/x-shockwave-flash%22%20allowfullscreen=%22true%22%20width=%22425%22%20height=%22344%22%3E%3C/embed%3E%3C/object%3E

I guess I would dare to call it actually a simpler task, with right tools. This is quite fast to make, too.

If I may suggest a way to make these?

If I were smarter back then, I would have made the wheels first. I would use the hole saw bit having a maximum diameter center drill for axle hole. Or I would choose the center drill diameter according to the axle wood rod I would have at hand.

Then I would take a squared block of wood. I would take it to the vertical drill, mark the axle holes and drill them first. I would make 0,5-1mm larger hole than axle diameter is. The wheels are here good to have prepared, you can dry-fit them by eye so that they will find a cool positions.

Then I would take a forstner bit of suitable diameter and drill the wheel cavities around the axle holes, deep enough to hide the wheels. The suitable diameter of the forstner bit would be determined by the wheel diameter. A bit larger, but not that much, maybe a couple of millimeter clearances. Tighter clearances will give away kinda real thing looks.

I think the ultimate "truckness" appearance comes from the cross-cut grooves separating the cabin and the cargo. Otherwise it would be more like a bus or a van. Grooves are real easy to make with a straight angle, marking knife, handsaw and chisel. I would make the grooves according the chisel width, anything from 2mm to 12mm or such.

I would wax the axle holes before putting axles through them.

For gluing the wheels, I used pieces of 1mm thick plastic film as spacers inbetween car and wheels. I cutted a slot of axle diameter in the plastic, and slipped it on. It prevented the glue to enter into axles and it was easy to take off. All the wheels
came equally spaced, too.

The rest is free form. Scraper is a good tool to use for finishing, both straight and curved.

This truck is 165mm of lenght, 55mm width and 45mm of body height. Total height with wheels is 50mm. Wheel diameter is 27mm, wheel width is 15mm. Axle diameter is 10mm and axle hole is 11mm. Cargo cavity takes one average matchbox die-cast toy car.

Kippis,

sumu