PDA

View Full Version : Before I order GIS plans...

colinml
21st August 2008, 07:08 AM
A few questions.

1. I'm a professional woodworker who hasn't built a boat before but I have done similar sorts of work in other applications (guitar making, sculpture, furniture making). I have a complete shop with enough heated indoor space. I plan to work full time until it's done. What's a realistic time frame?

2. Is there any advantage to ordering plans direct, rather than downloading the PDF?

3. I'm a novice sailor. I intend to use this boat to improve my skill, and I hope that it will be a boat that will provide me a lively challenge for some years to come. From what I have read, the liveliness won't be a problem, but I am a little concerned that this is going to be a little too lively for a novice who will do most of his sailing solo. Is my concern unfounded? I anticipate regularly finding myself on the lake in 5-15 knot, shifting, and gusty wind. But at other times, when things are not so gusty, I would like to be able to take my wife and two kids out for a sail and feel stable. Is this the right boat for that?

Thanks,
Colin

colinml
21st August 2008, 01:08 PM
Sorry...nevermind.

I just found the other posts that answered my questions.

Silly me.

Boatmik
22nd August 2008, 12:09 AM
Hi Colin,

The GIS was not originally designed as a single hander, but a number are being used that way. You can either reef the sail or put sandbags under the centre seat if it is too lively in the early stages.

David Graybeal did the same, but over time started discarding the sandbags depending on the strength of the wind and how confident he was feeling as he built more experience.

Best wishes
Michael

colinml
22nd August 2008, 04:55 AM
Thanks, Michael. I downloaded the plans last night, and it looks like I have made the right decision, especially since I'm a novice builder. My initial impression is that the drawings and instructions are very clear and thoughtfully put together. With these plans and this forum, I think my likelihood for sucess is high. My plan is to start building in approximately 2 months.

Boatmik
22nd August 2008, 09:32 AM
Howdy Colin,

They are a good crowd here ... so that's part of why I started hanging around too!!

MIK

colinml
22nd August 2008, 12:36 PM
As it turns out, I do have two questions I need to ask. I ordered the PDF through Duckworks, USA. I recieved 3 PDF files:

1. "Assembly final text rspek."
2. "Drawing ST-dkaele"
3. "Assembly revised dwgx2"

The revision contains the panel offset drawing and the bulkhead drawing. I can't identify any difference between the original panel offset drawing and the revision panel offset drawing. Also, the revision date of the bulkhead drawing is older than the original bulkhead drawing. The difference, as far as the bulkhead drawing is concerned, seems to be the sidearm. On the original it has a notation to mark "sheer" on the sidearm, whereas the revision has a notation to mark "bottom" on the sidearm.

Am I correct in thinking the following:

1. There was no change to the panel offset drawing.
2. The correct bulkhead drawing is the one that instructs me to mark the bottom of the sidearm.

Question #2:
I am to cut the transom oversize, in order to account for a bevel; however, the plans call for different numbers than the instructions (page 21). Please let me know which is correct.

Thanks so much.

Boatmik
23rd August 2008, 11:39 AM
Hi Colin, I did lose a whole lot of GIS stuff at one point ... so dates did get scrambled.

The plans are current with those revisions replacing the sheets.

The transom on the drawing has the correct bevels. I am sure I sent a revised text to Duckworks. Actually either set will work ...

The one on the drawing is right and the one in the text is wrong in the correct direction!!!!

I'll check

Thankyou
Michael

colinml
23rd August 2008, 12:12 PM
Thank you, Michael. This is truly first class service, and I appreciate it.