PDA

View Full Version : Bowel Cancer

m2c1Iw
21st August 2008, 07:20 PM
Right, well I am a little hesitant about posting this because I recon this place should be for enjoyment and learning and not about misery but as Sturdee/Peter was good enough to share his experience with prostate cancer I'm thinking a bit of education can't harm anyone.

Bout a week ago I was diagnosed with bowel cancer Hmmm.... not good but today good news the CT scan showed it has not spread and I'm booked in for a resection next Wednesday. So I'll be off the air for a couple of weeks Hmm.....bad again:wink: but I'm counting myself very lucky cause I was trying to ignore symptoms for a while, I'll spare you the gory details but I think you know what I mean.

Anyway message to everyone over 50 ask your doc about the easy simple tests available and don't ignore ANYTHING. As they say BC is one of the better ones if there is such a thing, it is treatable and if caught early enough surgery can be the answer.

Mike

watson
21st August 2008, 07:27 PM
Lots of luck for Wednesday Mike

Sturdee
21st August 2008, 07:42 PM
Good luck mate, I hope your procedure and recovery goes well.

Fully agree with you that we shouldn't think we are immortal (even though some of our body cells thinks so, hence the cancer) and get the tests done and then act on them if need be.

Peter.

Batpig
21st August 2008, 08:06 PM
Dear Mike,

Best of luck, and fingers crossed. Dad lost about 40cm of his bowel to diverticulitis years ago, and after things settled down for him, it was all systems go again - no worries. In a few months time you'll be firing again on all cylinders...:-

At least you don't have to blame the woodwork for it!

Best Wishes,
Batpig.

Rocker
21st August 2008, 08:14 PM
Mike,

It sounds as though you have caught your cancer just in time, before it has spread. Good luck with your operation. Many sufferers are not as fortunate.

Since the 5-year survival rate for bowel cancer (about 45%) is much lower than that for breast or prostate cancers (about 97% and 99% respectively), it is even more vital to try to detect bowel cancer at an early stage than it is for breast and prostate cancers.

Because my mother suffered from bowel cancer, although she actually died at the age of 95 from a fall, I have been alert to the possibility that I might develop this cancer. So about seven years ago I had a colonoscopy, although I was not having any symptoms. This revealed that my colon was still healthy. Eighteen months ago I still had no symptoms, but had another colonoscopy, which revealed that I had four polyps, which are the precursors of bowel cancer. The polyps were cut away and found to be benign, but I was told to return after a year for another colonoscopy, so this year I had another, which discovered one further polyp, which was likewise cut out and found to be benign. I am due for my next colonoscopy in two years' time.

The moral of my story is that, particularly if you have a close relative who has had bowel cancer, it is worth having a colonoscopy, even if you have not experienced any symptoms. If you catch any polyps whilst they are still benign, you can completely prevent bowel cancer. So it is well worth the minor unpleasantness of the preparation for a colonoscopy to ensure that you do not develop this potentially lethal disease.

Rocker

Groggy
21st August 2008, 08:24 PM
Mike, hope it all goes well for you and the results are clear. Very brave of you to mention it. Sturdee did a good thing I reckon, talking us through his experiences.

best wishes mate :2tsup:

Mollywood
21st August 2008, 08:28 PM
:)
Hope all goes well Mike.

Bluegum
21st August 2008, 08:39 PM
Yes mate hope that all is well for you.

Ironwood
21st August 2008, 08:52 PM
All the best of luck Mike, my thoughts are with you.

chrisb691
21st August 2008, 09:59 PM
All the best Mike.

Cliff Rogers
22nd August 2008, 12:06 AM
Fingers crossed Mike.

Geoff Sims
22nd August 2008, 12:58 AM
Best wishes Mike

prozac
22nd August 2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks for sharing Mike. All the best for the op and a speedy recovery.
Thanks also Rocker.

Bob38S
22nd August 2008, 11:42 AM
Heads up Mike - all fingers crossed

jmk89
22nd August 2008, 12:13 PM
Like Rocker, I have a family history of Bowel cancer - Dad and his brother....
So I have annual colonoscopies. So far so good.

All the best for the op, Mike.

m2c1Iw
23rd August 2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and Rocker for filling in some gaps.

I had the Colonoscopy yesterday for the lead up to the op and as Rocker says it provides only minimal discomfort and thats only the lead up fasting etc.

Must say I'm done with having things stuck where things are not normally stuck but as the surgeon said I'd better get used to it.

There was a bright side to my initial examination the doctor sat down looked me straight in the eye and said with a smile "well at least we know your prostate is OK", cheeky bugga.

Thanks again
Mike

prozac
23rd August 2008, 03:53 PM
You could have done as Allan from Whalan and ask that before he took of his gloves he probe around with the other hand. Allan reckons that when the Doc asks why you tell him you want a 2nd opinion.

That's good news Mike!

m2c1Iw
23rd August 2008, 04:03 PM
You could have done as Allan from Whalan and ask that before he took of his gloves he probe around with the other hand. Allan reckons that when the Doc asks why you tell him you want a 2nd opinion.

That's good news Mike!

:D:D yep and its always a worry when they say this hands a bit cold I'll use the other one:rolleyes::U

prozac
24th August 2008, 02:19 PM
:D:D yep and its always a worry when they say this hands a bit cold I'll use the other one:rolleyes::U

:doh: I did't get this the first read. At least I think I get it.....

m2c1Iw
24th August 2008, 02:32 PM
:doh: I did't get this the first read. At least I think I get it.....

Doctor humour.......:rolleyes: guess you need a bit doing their job.

prozac
24th August 2008, 02:39 PM
Strange elective though. "I want to be a doctor when I grow up dad." "What sort of doctor son, ENA?" "Other end Dad."

One thing being one, another working with 'em every day.

mic-d
24th August 2008, 02:51 PM
Good luck Mike, wishing you a good outcome. I expect all of you who have posted your challenges in this forum have reassessed what is important in life and I find it quite inspirational to read the posts here. It comes to mind that a few other members who have imploded over absolutely trivial garbage in recent times should pause and think about your stories.

Cheers
Michael

prozac
25th August 2008, 03:45 PM
All the best for a good outcome on Wednesday Mike. We'll be expecting some good stories, but please NO PICTURES!

m2c1Iw
25th August 2008, 07:02 PM
:U.....:2tsup:.......but what ever happened to......:worthless:

fenderbelly
26th August 2008, 12:25 AM
:U.....:2tsup:.......but what ever happened to......:worthless:

All the best for Wednesday Mike.

You sure you don't want me to bring the camera round.

Cheers Fred

m2c1Iw
26th August 2008, 09:07 AM
Fred your pics are way too clear for general consumption.:D

Cheers
Mike

Christopha
26th August 2008, 07:24 PM
Fred, maate, stick your piccies up your.... oh sorry....
I trust all went very well and prognosios is brilliant!

m2c1Iw
8th September 2008, 06:01 PM
:yippy:I escaped from hospital yesterday, Fathers Day too maybe a bit of an omen there I hope. It sure is good to be home amoungst the family not that the care was not terrific there is just nothing like your own bed.

So surgery went well and the pathology report was good so my doc recons no need for kemo, boy am I counting myself lucky especially as I received word that an old old mate of mine passed away with lung cancer last week. Poor bugga went in for an xray for chest pain, they didn't release him and three weeks later he's gone.
One things is for sure in this life there is ALWAYS someone worse off.

Anyway thanks again for the support guys I'm looking forward to making a bit more sawdust yet and building a few more boats.

Remember ask your doc at your next visit about all the tests that blokes and blokettes need depending on age group and get them done cause the doc won't chase after you as they are already busy enough.

Cheers
Mike

DJ’s Timber
8th September 2008, 06:14 PM
Good to see you back and that all went well :2tsup:

prozac
8th September 2008, 06:57 PM
Welcome back Mike.

jmk89
8th September 2008, 07:01 PM
Good news, mike. My colonoscopy was clear this time, only another 2-3 years until the next.

Groggy
8th September 2008, 07:14 PM
Mike, it really is good to see you back and well. :2tsup:

Ironwood
8th September 2008, 07:19 PM
Glad to hear the good news Mike.

Thank goodness you didnt need chemo.

flynnsart
8th September 2008, 07:28 PM
Glad to hear all went well.

My dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer about three years ago (brother diagnosed about the same day with secondary cancer in his spine, passed away 2 months later). Dad was operated on, got through all that, but has since found out he still has cancer elswhere as it had spread. Luckily seems to be dormant, at 80 he is doing rather well. Put mum (and my sisters and I) through hell. Two of them in hospital at the same time, different hospitals. I booked myself in for a colonoscopy as soon as I came home after it all, and public system being the public system I am still waiting for an appointment.

Donna

Rocker
8th September 2008, 07:52 PM
Mike,

Great news that the op went well and that you have dodged the bullet.

Rocker

fenderbelly
8th September 2008, 11:00 PM
Good news indeed

Cliff Rogers
9th September 2008, 09:45 AM
:2tsup:

m2c1Iw
9th September 2008, 02:17 PM
Glad to hear all went well.

My dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer about three years ago (brother diagnosed about the same day with secondary cancer in his spine, passed away 2 months later). Dad was operated on, got through all that, but has since found out he still has cancer elswhere as it had spread. Luckily seems to be dormant, at 80 he is doing rather well. Put mum (and my sisters and I) through hell. Two of them in hospital at the same time, different hospitals. I booked myself in for a colonoscopy as soon as I came home after it all, and public system being the public system I am still waiting for an appointment.

Donna

Donna,
I'm sorry for your loss, please go and kick up a stink about an appointment. My understanding is family history does carry weight with this so go and make some noise, please.

Mike