PDA

View Full Version : Pine Bowl

joe greiner
21st August 2008, 10:19 PM
Pine gets very little respect. One family/species in Australia (and a few other places) is even called "Crapiata."

I had a small pine tree felled in my side yard about a month ago. As requested, the arborists left about 1.5m of the trunk standing. Last week (Monday, 11 Aug), I cut two bowl blanks directly from the trunk, and rough turned one of them. I did the final turning on Tuesday, and finished the bottom on Wednesday. I could have been more diligent on the inside, but my main objective was to learn how bad I could make the whole thing. Before final sanding, I applied two coats of sanding sealer; one coat more than needed, I think, because it exhibited some burnishing which I scraped off. Then one coat of paste wax.

All in all, it came out at least halfway good. Slightly oval, of course, 7.125" / 6.75" diameter, 2.75" high ( 181/171mm x 70mm). The wall thickness is surprisingly uniform (finally) at about 1/4" (6.4mm).

I don't use a fancy light box for most photography. And usually the sun is on the other side of the house. One cannot imagine what colour of light comes through that umbrella. This is one situation where Custom White Balance comes into its own. The backdrop paper, attached to a piece of pvc pipe, came from the tag end of a roll of newsprint, several available almost every arvo at the newspaper's loading dock. Some papers charge a deposit of about $2 for the cores; ours doesn't (yet). The pipe-support frame is my sawbuck ( http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=47976 ), which is actually more versatile, and less over-engineered, than I admitted there/then.

While I was completing this bowl, the same arborists felled a much larger pine in the back yard. I counted 75 growth rings, and measured the largest diameter at about 32" (>800mm). Encouraged by the results here, I elected to save the logs. I reckon I can get 1/8 blanks (max 12") from each slice for my own practise, and some larger 1/2 or 1/4 blanks for practise use by some of my WT mates who have large-enough lathes, and/or for my own use when/if. BTW, the two clocks near my computer are set at GMT+10 (OZ-EST) and GMT-4 (US-EDT).

I could not make this up: The chief arborist has requested that I (of all people) help him learn how to turn bowls.

Joe

TTIT
21st August 2008, 11:30 PM
Nice bowl for a chunk of crapiata Joe :;:U Ah what the hell - they're big chunks and they're the right price - have a ball with it :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
21st August 2008, 11:41 PM
Good job on the bowl(s), Joe. What's the finish? Just wax?

Ed :D

Cliff Rogers
21st August 2008, 11:50 PM
:2tsup:

joe greiner
22nd August 2008, 12:50 AM
Thanks, Cliff.

Yep. Just wax, Ed. In two whirling stages on the lathe: Most of the inside and outside, and then the foot after flipping. I left the interior of the foot uncoated, just because.

Not so sure about the right price, Vern. I haven't seen the invoice yet. Both trees were too awkwardly located for me to drop myself. And they couldn't reach the big one with a crane (swing too big for closest access). It boiled down to a choice between felling it, and filling the swimming pool. Even if I were to use the pool space for a proper shop/studio, it'd be a structural hazard. (Tale of woe omitted).

Joe

Ad de Crom
22nd August 2008, 01:51 AM
Joe, it looks very good my friend, I really don't understand why turners avoid it to use pine for there turnings !!!

Very well done.

Ad :) :2tsup:

Rum Pig
22nd August 2008, 08:37 AM
Well done Joe :2tsup::2tsup:

I always think it is a shame when people get a tree cut down and get nothing back for it:no:. At lest if you get a bowl or even a pen it gives you the felling it's death has not been for nothing:U (starting to sound like a hippie now):doh:

Sawdust Maker
22nd August 2008, 10:20 AM
Not bad :2tsup::2tsup:

hughie
22nd August 2008, 10:38 AM
Joe,
Good sized logs. :2tsup: will make great looking salad bowls etc

I confess I am a closet pine turner...:C there........... I have finally come out, :U

Look forward to the pics, wondered about the clocks. :doh: shoulda guessed

Anyway I like the bowls, I use similar lip arrangement on larger bowls , for two handed carrying.

wheelinround
22nd August 2008, 11:45 AM
:2tsup: Nice work Joe shame about the timber so what next with the logs or are you going into Salad bowl production :U

TTIT
22nd August 2008, 12:20 PM

I confess I am a closet pine turner...:C there........... I have finally come out, :U
..........:o:o:o:o:o

Cliff Rogers
22nd August 2008, 12:28 PM
...I confess I am a closet pine turner...:C ....

It must be cramped in there. :D

joe greiner
22nd August 2008, 10:55 PM
It must be cramped in there. :D

And fills up with shavings right quick.

It'd take the rest of my life, and beyond, to turn all the bowls in those logs. I hope some other turners can be persuaded to take some of the timber. Might even have a chainsaw party, to avoid cutting into light-enough pieces to schlep to my truck.

Joe

Sawdust Maker
22nd August 2008, 11:12 PM
And fills up with shavings right quick.

It'd take the rest of my life, and beyond, to turn all the bowls in those logs. I hope some other turners can be persuaded to take some of the timber. Might even have a chainsaw party, to avoid cutting into light-enough pieces to schlep to my truck.

Joe

Aren't chainsaw parties the happening thing in Texas :o
Now I'm going to get into trouble

joe greiner
22nd August 2008, 11:49 PM
Aren't chainsaw parties the happening thing in Texas :o
Now I'm going to get into trouble

Nah. The other kind. Our WT club has 'em once in a while when notified by contractors, DOT and such. And, as of about 3 weeks ago, there's still a great big magnolia or maple close to 4ft diameter in the parking lot of the club. Folks have been nibbling at it for a while. Collecting timber is a sub-addiction to turning.

Joe

robutacion
23rd August 2008, 12:01 AM
Nah. The other kind. Our WT club has 'em once in a while when notified by contractors, DOT and such. And, as of about 3 weeks ago, there's still a great big magnolia or maple close to 4ft diameter in the parking lot of the club. Folks have been nibbling at it for a while. Collecting timber is a sub-addiction to turning.

Joe

:oo: So, that's what it is, huh?:?.
I was starting to get worried about my addiction...! I thought maybe, "old age madness!":doh:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO