PDA

View Full Version : Forming a Boat building Co-op in Sydney - Botany?

merrijig
22nd August 2008, 12:04 AM
Hi all. I'd like to get a boat building co-op organised in Sydney, around the Botany/Mascot area. I want to build a GIS and would also like to have other wooden boat enthusiasts involved who want to build their own boats, but don't have the space, facilities or experience etc. Is anyone interested in this idea and has anyone done this sort of thing before who could offer some advice please?
I'd like to get some keen builders and ideally someone with some experience in wooden boat building. Thanks in advance for any help.

Boatmik
22nd August 2008, 02:08 AM
Brilliant Idea. BTW did you know there was a part built GIS being sold in that area?

MIK

seajak
22nd August 2008, 07:34 AM
G'day Merrijig,

Sounds like a great idea. I live in Eastlakes and would like to be involved although I don't have a lot of time at the moment with 3 young children. That's the reason I have a partiality built GIS in my shed :-. The parts for the hull are all cut out and epoxied ready to assemble. Drop me a PM if you'd be interested in looking at it.

cheers,
clay

Arthur Dyason
22nd August 2008, 08:29 AM
If you need any paulownia for your boat building let me know and I will put you in contact with growers who are looking for a market for their timber.

Between Taree and the Tweed there are many plantations and no sales and timber going to waste.

Daddles
22nd August 2008, 09:13 AM
If you need any paulownia for your boat building let me know and I will put you in contact with growers who are looking for a market for their timber.

Between Taree and the Tweed there are many plantations and no sales and timber going to waste.

We've got a regular poster (whitewood) on this list who grows Paulonia too :wink:

Richard

merrijig
22nd August 2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Michael, thanks for the reply. I've wanted to build my own boat and have had my eye on the GIS for some time now. I like the relative simplicity of the construction but really like the way she looks and sails. My problem at home though is space. I've got a great workshop but not big enough to build a GIS and my wife would murder me if I took up backyard space for any longer than 45 minutes. Hence my idea about a co-op. I'm sure there are others with similar aspirations and problems, so if we can approach this in numbers we might all be able to achieve our goal. If I can get enough people interested we can discuss the first step which would probably be a suitable secure site in the Mascot/Botany area.
Thanks again for your interest.

merrijig
22nd August 2008, 01:24 PM
Hi Clay and thanks for your reply. I'm only brand new on this forum so I'm not too sure yet about how to send a Private Message but I'll keep trying. I sympathise with you about your time problem. My two kids are in their late teens now but I remember what its like. I'd like to have a look at your GIS project if its OK with you, however my problem is that I've got no space at home to build. I'm at Clovelly and work at Mascot so I'm close to your place. I'll see if I can work out the PM thing and drop you a line.

Regards

Bob

merrijig
22nd August 2008, 01:29 PM
Hi Arthur and thanks for the offer with the Paulownia. My first step is to get somewhere to build but I'll definitely keep your offer in mind when we do.

Best regards

Bob

merrijig
22nd August 2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks Richard and as I've said to Arthur I'll keep this in mind when we get set up.

Regards

Bob