PDA

View Full Version : Marmalade

Andy Mac
22nd August 2008, 03:31 PM
Hi there,
I just spent the morning making a batch of three fruit marmalade, using home grown mandarines, oranges and lemonades. This one has a little less sugar than the recipe, hopefully more bitter, but that comes with shorter shelf life.
I hope it comes out as well as the cumquat marmalade I made in June last year. Unfortunatrely the tree I got that fruit off didn't bear this year.

Cheers,

RufflyRustic
22nd August 2008, 09:17 PM
Hi Andy

That's a nice batch of marmalade.:2tsup: My Mum and Grandma used to make lots of marmalade when we lived in Crow's Nest. Do you test the jam by putting a spoonful on a saucer?

I have to confess I've never made homemade jam. Mum and Grandma always made it seem so easy and the jams they made always got eaten.:)

Ah the memories of coming home after school to a house full of the glorious smells of jam making.:U

mcarthur
25th August 2008, 11:32 AM
Good timing - I just made my first batch of this year last night. I use shop-bought seville oranges though, rather than home-grown :rolleyes:. Mmmmm.

Rob

Woodwould
25th August 2008, 12:51 PM
I make cumquat marmalade and curd from home-grown lemons and limes. I could quite happily take a spoon and devour a whole jar of lemon curd - I haven't, but the day is not far away! :U

fenderbelly
27th August 2008, 11:28 PM
I make cumquat marmalade and curd from home-grown lemons and limes. I could quite happily take a spoon and devour a whole jar of lemon curd - I haven't, but the day is not far away! :U

lemon curd == happy memories from my past.

tea lady
28th August 2008, 12:03 AM
Home made marmalade is the best. Shop bought just doesn't cut it after that. Just kinda reminds you that real home made is heeps better. And you have to keep it in the frig after opening so it doesn't go mouldy. I like grapefruit best. Good and bitter.:cool: With big chunks. mmmmmmmmmmm!

Other yummy jams? Would you believe beetroot?:cool: Terrific on a ham sanger. A bit like cranberry sauce. ....And Fig jam with vinigaqr in it to counter the sweetness a bit. Best with cream cheese. More mmmmmmmmmmms!:U