PDA

View Full Version : The materials neede for the Goat

Maximuss
23rd August 2008, 04:36 AM
Hey,

Im getting very hooked on the Goat Island Skiff boat, but i would like to calculate a rough estimat on the price for the materials before i buy the plans.
Can any of you help med with a list of materials needed ?
It dont have to need it in small details, just a rough estimat, but at the sail i really need a more accurate measure since its expensive like hell here in Denmark :(

I hope any can help me out otherwise im not sure i would start on it

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards

Bjarne Pedersen
Denmark

Theodor
23rd August 2008, 07:04 AM
G'day Maxi,

I can't tell you prices of stuff in Denmark but I can give you guestimates of stuff you need to build it:

6 sheets of 6mm ply
18m+ of various sized Oregon/spruce or some other good wood in Denmark for battens, gunwales, etc.
42m+ of various sized Western Red Cedar type wood (i.e. light but strong) for chinelogs, stem, spacers, etc.
7m of hardwood for bottom skids
10m of hardwood for gunwale cappings
Spar Oregon for spars
timber for foils
12L of epoxy (this is where a lot of the expense is)
fibreglass cloth and tape

This is a pretty small summary I think. If you get quotes on the plywood and epoxy, then you'll see the major expense in building the boat. I'm sure spruce (or some other pine varieties) is pretty cheap in Denmark so I doubt you'll have a problem with sourcing good wood.

Hope that helps.
Mark

P.S. Even though I don't expect to build my GIS for several years, I have found its well worth getting the plans anyway. Occasionally I just look through it and dream... :)

Maximuss
23rd August 2008, 08:52 AM
Thx for the measurements :)

What go for epoxy i can get the quantity for free! :U
One of my good friend is working on Denmarks largest shipyard so no problem there

6 sheets of plywood you say, i can get them in size of 122 x 244 mm - right size ?

Im sure ill get some more question soon for you and others :)

Best Regards

Bjarne Pedersen
Denmark

Boatmik
23rd August 2008, 12:57 PM
Howdy Bjarne,

2440 x 1220 mm plywood is the right size (it is the old 8ft x 4ft which is something of an international standard) ... I will put up the materials list from the plan here later too.

MIK

Boatmik
23rd August 2008, 01:58 PM
Howdy ... I have attached part of the preamble and materials list for the GIS.

The materials are in both imperial and metric.

Best wishes
Michael

arbordg
23rd August 2008, 04:33 PM
Bjarne,

We built a GIS several years ago. We spent approximately $1,600 for materials & supplies. This total includes the beer & pizza that fueled the project. Then we spend approx. $500 for a sail and $525 for a small outboard motor. I have no idea how pricing in Denmark compares to here in Portland, Oregon, USA.

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

Maximuss
23rd August 2008, 06:19 PM
Thx for the help Boatmik - now i can plan my building. Im a student so i have to do it over winter, 'couse of the small amount of money you as a student :cool:

arbordg, i hope i can do it cheaper than that, becouse its roughly 10.000 DKR, thats a LOT for a student. Lucky enough i get the epoxy for free. Its a expensive part of the building.

Is it possible to get the exactly dimension for the sail so i can get a price on that one too ?

Bjarne

Maximuss
23rd August 2008, 06:42 PM
One more thing - can i get the size of the sail ?
Its need to be more accurate than the 10m2, its not enough to get a price.

I have read that you can use a laser sail, is it the boat-type below ?
http://www.odensesejlklub.dk/ungdom/billeder/laser1.jpg

I do think i would try too see if i cant afford the Balance Lug Rig, but again, it depends on the price :(

Perhaps its possible to get the sail sent from US. Sails are rather expensive in Denmark. Do any of you know if there is somebody that ship sails worldwide ?

Best Regards

Bjarne Pedersen
Denmark

Boatmik
23rd August 2008, 10:10 PM
The lug rig is BY FAR the best choice. The boat has much better performance in light wind and strong wind. And has more horsepower if you have more people aboard the boat.

Another option is that it would be possible to make a temporary sail out of a polytarp. Might cost $50 rather than $600. Then later when you get some money .. get the proper sail for a further boost of performance.

Best wishes
Michael

Theodor
23rd August 2008, 11:43 PM
I have read that you can use a laser sail, is it the boat-type below ?
http://www.odensesejlklub.dk/ungdom/billeder/laser1.jpg
I do think i would try too see if i cant afford the Balance Lug Rig, but again, it depends on the price :(

That's a comet sail - the red star and tail obviously looks like a comet. I used to sail one of those as a kid. Its just like the laser class, but I think the main difference is that the comet uses a jib. I could be wrong on that since I have only been on a laser once or twice as a guest at most.

Mark

Maximuss
23rd August 2008, 11:45 PM
It sounds the right way for me to go, i need to get it as cheap as possible. When im finish with my study in a couple of years i can always build a new one with better materials. Alternativ is too wait, im not interested in that :U

Boatmik, is there any from this site i can use ?:

http://members.aol.com/polysail/HTML/products.htm

Bjarne

arbordg
23rd August 2008, 11:50 PM
Maximus,

The sail is available from Duckworks for about $500.

If you decide to make your own polytarp sail, the PolySail International is an excellent source for the materials. The plans have all the dimensions you'll need to make your own, and Polysails has an online tutorial to teach you how.

Good Luck

Maximuss
24th August 2008, 01:21 AM
I think ill go for the polysails - im not sure i can afford to buy a finish one :(

Boatmik
24th August 2008, 01:48 AM
Howdy, Polysail is a great place to get materials and Dave Gray is the best chap in the world ... but talk to me about how to cut the sail when the time comes. We have a nicer method than the dart method that they tend to favour.

Still can't believe just how nice the OZ lugsail is! So I can draw up something similar for the Goat.

A real sail is much more appropriate for a boat as classy as the Goat... but to get sailing while you save more dollars for a proper sail is a great idea.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/boatmik/SGzRA9K1vTI/AAAAAAAAAmw/qG6xlXVx_LY/s144/IMG_0973%20square.jpg

http://img135.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-30457/loc880/96173_IMG_10_122_880lo.jpg

Michael

Maximuss
24th August 2008, 04:00 AM
ill go for the polytarp, i must find out where to get it when time come. But i think i can get it here in Denmark for almost same price as in US.

I have also calculated an app. price for the materials - $1000,-
But its without the price for the mast and the bom, becouse im not sure what i should use and im def. not sure how to make it :)

Bjarne