PDA

View Full Version : paint removal

dzcook
13th March 2004, 04:40 PM
working on the old house ( just bought ) has pressed metal ceilings in like new condition apart from 80 yrs of paint flaking off been angle grinding with brush to remove paint but just blew up the grinder after only one sml bedroom and 1/3 of lounge ( 28ft by 16 ft rm ) so still alot to go have thought of hitting it with high pressure air to blast off the loose stuff do u think this might work
thought of sand blaster but cant get one here in town have to go 135k to get and at $ 180 a day plus a hire for a large compressor to work it cant really see the cost effect in doing that as not all the paint needs to come off

t5hks david

seriph1
13th March 2004, 05:11 PM
sandblasting is probably overkill as the tin is only around .5 mm

compressed air might be ok but again, take care as any rusted sections, which may be invisible will just explode - also you run the real risk of damaging/denting the tin. Any irrepairable damage will mean replacement of the sheets and it is becoming extremely hard to locate in original or even accurate-reproduction forms.

probably a very silly question, but have you tried a normal broom or similar? Just thinking that if the paint is flakey it may not need much to get it off and once those bits are gone it may be fine to paint straight over what's left.....?

sorry I havent been able to help .....

hows your arms? :) bloody tired I bet

Shane Watson
13th March 2004, 05:21 PM
go and buy one of them $19 angle grinders Bunnies have at the moment....

dzcook
13th March 2004, 10:34 PM
as said has 80 yrs of paint on it so the detail is dissappearing in the ceiling so was mainly rubbing back to get rid of all the loose stuff and also to bring out the pattern again by removing some of those coats am not trying to take it all back to bare metal to hard for that lol

yes the arms are getting a bit sore 12ft high ceilings so up and down the ladder all the time as well have scaffolding but just dont feel comfortable on it think the ladder is there in front of me but on the scaffolding am just up in the air lol

super cheap had angle grinders even cheaper $17 so bought one if it last 6 months cant go wrong and also means my good one wont get stuffed with the use

have been offered a high pressure air cleaner noosle to fit on compressor so will give that a burl first on my little compressor see if it dose anything if not can get a much bigger ( comerical size ) compressor and wil try that

will let u know what happens

thanks for the feed back
david

seriph1
14th March 2004, 05:26 PM
bets of luck with it all

take care as the paint may be FULL of lead - I know how hot it gets up there, being from those parts, but a face mask is probably a must

would totally LOVE to see some pics of the home and your projects!

Marc
14th March 2004, 05:31 PM
Have you considered paint stripper?

dzcook
14th March 2004, 10:38 PM
well posted a pic on here
under the new hse if u want to have a look
thks david

soundman
14th March 2004, 11:03 PM
have you thaught of a paint scraper?

wombat47
16th March 2004, 09:57 AM
Silly question, I suppose, but have you tried washing it?

Some of our "flaky paint" was kalsomine which comes off with a scrubbing brush (toothbrush for the fiddly bits) and soapy water.

Wouldn't hurt to try a patch.

dzcook
21st March 2004, 10:46 PM
well all but a 12x6 section is now done after all my trials ( pressure spary etc ) the angle grinder with wire brush worked the best

never even thought to just try and wash it

used 3 brushes up and one angle grinder so and took about 3 days all up ( it is a large ceiling ,pressed metal , thoughout the whole hse )

thks david

seriph1
21st March 2004, 11:16 PM
Well done mate!

man, I can feel your arms "singin" from here

:)

Did you manage to salvage the entire ceiling?

dzcook
22nd March 2004, 10:09 PM
yeah saved it all its in really good condition some of it came up like new just out of the shop hardly any rust thru at all so was very pleased

and yes i am aching in the arms lol