PDA

View Full Version : Problems. :(

Ch4iS
23rd August 2008, 06:37 PM
Ok finally got the 2nd axis hooked up and I go to run both motors,

1 on X and 1 on Y.

Y works fine, go to test X and it is just a spasm with no torque I change motors, same thing.

Change the X axis to the Z axis I still get the spasm

I go to check Y which I have not touched since changing X around and it is just a spasm now also.

24.3V from PSU
3.2X VRef

Ive got a fan blowing on it.

I think I have killed it but I dont know how I could have? I did everything as per the instructions.

VRef X = 3.2V
VRef Y = 3.22V
VRef Z = 2.8V

Heatsinks never even got warm.

I ran the X axis before about 300 revolutions just playing around with it and it never had a problem.

Any idea on what went wrong?

BTW its the xylotex 3 Axis board.

snowyskiesau
23rd August 2008, 07:16 PM
No chance you unplugged the motor with the power turned on?

There are a list of things that can go wrong on the Xylotex repair site - here (http://www.xylotex.com/Repairs.htm).

Ch4iS
23rd August 2008, 07:29 PM
No chance you unplugged the motor with the power turned on?

There are a list of things that can go wrong on the Xylotex repair site - here (http://www.xylotex.com/Repairs.htm).

I had some quick connectors but they were bought from ebay made for this, they have a clip so they cannot be unpluged. I also crimped + soldered them so there was no possible way they could come undone.

The other end of the wire was tighted and tug tested before the board was powered up.

I took caution so none of this could happen. Send a email off to the xylotex guys but ill be if I have to pay for a replacement as ive had them in storage for a long time as I just got around to semi completing the build.

rodm
23rd August 2008, 10:11 PM
Check the motor wires on the X axis that went wonky. You might have crossed some wires there.
In fact double check all your wires because if you do not find the reason you will only repeat the same thing with a new board.
Look for even a single strand of wire crossing to another connector. Use your multimeter across pins and to the connectors (unless they are insultated) to eliminate all events.
Good luck

Ch4iS
23rd August 2008, 11:58 PM
Check the motor wires on the X axis that went wonky. You might have crossed some wires there.
In fact double check all your wires because if you do not find the reason you will only repeat the same thing with a new board.
Look for even a single strand of wire crossing to another connector. Use your multimeter across pins and to the connectors (unless they are insultated) to eliminate all events.
Good luck

Yea this is what I was thinking but to have 2 sets of wires crossed is nearly impossible.

BTW when the chips go do they still work like I have above? The chips do not look burnt nor did I smell anything, its like the motors are getting the command but not enough power to drive them. {all power settings have double checked so must be the wires of a fooked board}

I'll chop off one of the connectors and hook the motor directly and see what comes of it.

Ch4iS
24th August 2008, 12:46 AM
Found the problem, its between the printer cable and the PC.

I think the Printer Cable being so bulky may have snapped the solder joints on the motherboard.

Pheww.

Thanks for your suggestions fellas. Was starting to think the Xylotex boards were a piece of ????.

And the build continues . . . . . .

rodm
24th August 2008, 01:40 AM
Good news - well that assumes the motherboard problem is fixable.

Ch4iS
24th August 2008, 04:57 AM
Good news - well that assumes the motherboard problem is fixable.

Should be or if not a replacement motherboard is only $55 and a weeks wait.

Better than 80USD and around 3-4 weeks wait.

snowyskiesau
24th August 2008, 09:26 AM
Glad it wasn't anything too serious.
Is there any problem getting motherboards with parallel ports these days? I mostly work with rack mounted computers and none have parallel ports installed.

rodm
24th August 2008, 10:21 AM
Yes the parallel port has been replaced by USB ports on the motherboards these days. You can get a Parallel port PCI card ($30) or get a smoothstepper ($155US) to run the Xylotex off a USB port. Do not get a USB to Parallel port adapter as they do not work for this application.

Ch4iS
24th August 2008, 06:17 PM
Glad it wasn't anything too serious.
Is there any problem getting motherboards with parallel ports these days? I mostly work with rack mounted computers and none have parallel ports installed.

Most cheaper ones still have them, but the pc I am writing this on does not have any, instead has 8 USB ports and 2 Lan which I think is overkill.

There is no need for a parallel port anymore except for cnc folk and those with old printers, do they even make printers with the parallel port anymore?

BTW rod have you used the smooth stepper? is it worth it over a standard PCI Parallel Port card?

rodm
25th August 2008, 12:50 AM
No I haven't tried the smoothstepper but Greolt reports they work fine. Thet are still under development but this is just the finishing touches needed and it is simply a formware ugrade when it is finished.
If all you want is a parallel port then go the PCI card as they are much cheaper. If you are considering a break out board to go with the parallel prot then the smoothstepper is your beast. While it may work out dearer than a PCI card and breakout board together the price difference is worth it to future proof your machine.
The board manufacturers will in time work the USB interface into their drivers but for now smoothstepper is a good solution for USB only computers.
Greolt might like add or disagree with this a he has more experience than me on the smoothstepper and the alternative drivers available.

Greolt
25th August 2008, 10:20 AM
I can say that the SmoothStepper works well. I like it. I believe that it puts out a smoother step pulse then the LPT. Hence the name.

And it is certainly capable of a much faster pulse rate. Unless you are managing to run steppers very fast or are using servos I doubt you would notice the difference.

Another advantage of the SS is that it is like having two and a half LPTs as far as number of inputs and outputs. Again for our typical wood routers it probably not that big a deal.
However it would make it easier if you were using the full compliment of limit and home switches.

Regarding BoBs, You can't assume that it does away with the need for one. It depend what you are wanting to hook up to it and how you are going to do it.

It will certainly hook straight up to a Xylotex. That is how one of mine is running.

If you are building a typical home built style and size router with a Xylotex driver then just get a PCI LPT card for your computer. That will be cheaper and work fine.

Greg