PDA

View Full Version : HELP WANTED

bobmundy
30th November 1999, 03:37 PM
I have been asked to make a half-round timber edge for the top of a cast-iron bath, which has a 60mm wide (and flat) lip around the top.
Fixing is not a problem as there are holes every 300mm around the rim.
The overall size is 2000L x 940W at the head (circular end) and 740W at the foot (square end, rounded corners).
What timber would be best to use?
I thought perhaps merbau with 2-pack finish (fully coated) might be suitable.No doubt someone will set me straight.
Your suggestions or input would be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation,

------------------
Bob- You won't get a second chance to make a good first impression...

ubeaut
7th December 1999, 12:15 AM
Hi Bob

If you are after the colouring of merbau (kwila) then why not keep it Australian and go for Blackwood. It will be a much nicer grain patern and won't have those ugly, grey, spotty stains that a lot of the marbau seems to get.

Finish all over with a marine or spa varnish and just to be on the safe side lay it on a silicon base or at least use silicon around the inside joint between bath and timber to stop any water from getting under the timber.

You should be able to get the timber from Mathews Timber Nunawadding, Adams Timbers, Kilsyth or Australian Furniture Timbers Port Melb. It will cost a bit more but when contrasted with the white if the bath should look great.

That's probably what I would think about anyway. Any one else got a suggestion or two.

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

S Hayward
7th December 1999, 08:26 PM
G'day Bob
The Merbau or Kwila as it is also know is best avoided. Although this species has excellent durability it pretty much only arrives in this country sopping wet. It also takes a very long time to dry. You can source KD flooring but as Neil suggested you could try other options. If you are looking for a durable species you could consider Iroko from Africa which is a very good Teak substitute, Danta, also from Africa which looks like Brushbox or an Aussie number we have in stock at Adams Timber Canberra is Spotted Gum. Currently we have 200 x 25 and 150 x 38 available. All these timbers are slightly greasy and in this instance probably best glued with Epoxy resin. PVA would be useless and results on the Iroko with Urea were not too good. The Danta glues with Urea and the Spotted Gum should though I have not personally tested this.
Hope this is of help.
Regards
Shaun.