PDA

View Full Version : Famag Bormax Forstner Bit set

Pat
24th August 2008, 12:24 PM
Cruising thru ebay one dim dark night I spotted a Forstner bit set: Famag Bormax (http://www.famag.com/en/bormax.htm) 5 piece set. What caught my eye was "Made in Germany". I had a look, checked prices os (http://www.fine-tools.com/cgi-bin/shop/fronten/shop_main.cgi?func=scartshow&wkid=5096787973116216&input=1&session=1&status=) and decided to put a bid on. I got them for $50 Au + $ 5 postage.

Now to the testing, when they arrived they were in the ubiquitous wooden box, but the cutting heads fully coated in rubber protection. Removing said protection I whacked the 15mm bit into the chuck on the lathe, put some Oregon on and spun it up. Cutting thru the soft wood like butter. So I got the larger sizes and tried Coolibah burl and another burl, which eats cheap forstner bits for breakfast, and the Bormax asked if I had any concrete to bore, as the burls where too easy.

I gave it the plywood test in the DP too, the 35mm bit was cool to touch after boring itself thru the 19mm ply. The chip ejection works well.

Prices I have seen os are around the US $130 - 150 mark. So if I see any further ebay special I'll be trying to grab them:)

Needless to say I am impressed and I got a bargain in the mix too!

FRB Design
24th August 2008, 03:30 PM
They are great,i tested on a 60mm peice of myrtle went through like butter ....... the big thing is they don't heat-up......after drilling i pulled it out of the chuck and helled it in my hand........did three holes in 30mm hardwood one after the other and could still hold it in my hand (Northwood tools sell em)

sumu
26th August 2008, 11:33 PM
I have FAMAG bits of various kinds, and I'm intending to get some more selection next time when I'm going to visit Germany. They are of exceptional quality, and outstanding compared to their prices. On my behalf I recommend to check out their carbide tipped augers and brad point drill bits.

Their product catalogue is partly in english and in french, too.

Kippis,

sumu