PDA

View Full Version : Faceshield respirators

Grumpy John
24th August 2008, 12:58 PM
Hi Gang
I'm going to ask the family to chip in for a faceshield type powered respirator for fathers day:fingerscrossed:and have been researching them on the forum. There's plenty of information but no real recommendations. I would like to run a poll based on the following items of importance (to me at least).
Most important:
1. Comfort, if the unit is not comfortable it doesn't matter how good the filtration is you'll probably stop using it after a while.
2. Filtration, obviously the better the filtration the cleaner the air you'll be breathing.
3. Product reliability.
4. Cost and availability of replacement filters and battery packs.
5. Support from supplier in case of problems.
6. Initial cost of unit and any accessories included. As long as the unit is cheaper than a lung transplant (can they do lung transplants?). This is a one off cost and should be considered as an investment in your health and comfort.

As far as I know the main players seem to be Triton, Trend AirShield and Purelite Air Shield Face Mask.
Comments and recommendations please.

steck
24th August 2008, 04:14 PM
Hi,
I have a Triton and I am very pleased with it. It is comfy and not too claustrophobic.
I have 2 battery packs so I don't have to worry about running out of power in the middle of a big job. It's pretty quiet inside, even without using the ear muffs I can listen to the radio while I am working.
The filter is so good that I had trouble even smelling the Camphor Laurel that I was sanding last week.
It uses standard filters that you can buy in heaps of places.
I wish I had bought one of these a long time ago!
I think its about $200 ay my local Bunnings.

BobL
24th August 2008, 04:31 PM
I have a triton and pretty much agree with steck. When ripping timber or rough turning (ie making lotsa chips) I find the shroud arrangement and muffs stops chips getting in my ears and down the back of my neck. Something to consider anyway.

Toasty
24th August 2008, 06:27 PM
I have a triton also, picked it up a couple of years ago for about $100 at some factory closeout sale. The battery pack around the waist is good because it keeps it off your head. Battery seem to last a reasonable amount of time. Face shield has saved my dashingly good looks :roll: a couple of times, even as recent as an hour ago when a piece of red gum split away at 600rpm smacking me fair in the shield, that one woulda hurt. Haven't used any other respirator so couldn't comment there.

Grumpy John
24th August 2008, 06:30 PM
Hi All
Thanks to those people who have responded to the poll so far. It would really be helpful to me if reasons for your preference were posted as well. to the people who have voted "other" a brand name and reasons would be really appreciated.

Thanks all
JG

jmk89
24th August 2008, 06:40 PM
I have a Record Power. Now unobtainable. I like the battery on the back of the headband. I reckon that the main thing in favour of the Triton has been price and availability - don't know if that is going to remain the case with the breakdown of the GMC and Bunnies

Ashes
24th August 2008, 06:59 PM
Triton for me.

Reasons why...price and functionality. Comfortable enough and the faceshield has paid for itself already...:o

Toasty
24th August 2008, 07:40 PM
It would really be helpful to me if reasons for your preference were posted as well.
Price at the time, couldn't be beat.

BobL
24th August 2008, 08:32 PM
GJ, I don't want to upset anyone or start any arguments here but unless poll participants have tried out all of the respirators (including all others) then the poll as presented is of limited value. This is why I offered a comment but I gave the poll a miss.

It would be interesting to know for example, how many of the people that voted for their preference have tried out (and I mean more than just worn one for a few minutes) any of the others? or for that matter, even read the manufacturers claims made in any of their advertising blurb?

Grumpy John
24th August 2008, 08:36 PM
GJ, I don't want to upset anyone or start any arguments here but unless poll participants have tried out all of the respirators (including all others) then the poll as presented is of limited value. This is why I offered a comment but I gave the poll a miss.

It would be interesting to know for example, how many of the people that voted for their preference have tried out (and I mean more than just worn one for a few minutes) any of the others? or for that matter, even read the manufacturers claims made in any of their advertising blurb?

Bob
Very good point made, however I am only trying to gauge what people are buying/using and if they're happy with what they use.

HansGScholte
25th August 2008, 01:37 AM
Hi John,

If the price is no problem, I would suggest to look at respirators with the fan/battery pack on a belt. It makes a lot of difference in noise, vibration and weight on your head. I have been using a 3M Dustmaster for about 8 years. I wouldn't think of going back to a head worn set.

Hans

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtMX&_lXT6EV76EbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--

Tornatus
25th August 2008, 11:42 PM
G'day GJ

Like Steck, Toasty and others I have the Triton, and I'm very happy with it, especially since I bought a second filter/motor unit and don't have to wait for battery recharges. I find it very comfy, and the large faceshield gives good visibility as well as having ample room for my glasses. I hardly ever use the earmuffs, but find that they don't cause any problems clicked into the raised position.

Pace BobL, I didn't try out alternative respirators personally before purchase, but I did speak to a number of my ACT Woodcraft Guild colleagues who have other brands and took account of their experiences. As an osteoarthritis sufferer, I found it significant that all of those with "head-mounted" systems complained about the weight and stress to their necks; and since I have a beard, I was also put off those systems which fitted closely to the face (the Triton has tons of room for facial hair). Otherwise, the main factor I considered was price, on which the Triton wins hands down. Pity about the parent company going down the gurgler, but the unit is pretty uncomplicated and I figure that if necessary I could get the electronics repaired locally without too much hassle.

Cliff Rogers
26th August 2008, 09:35 AM
I have the triton with 2 power packs as well.
The price is the winner.
The only thing I don't like about it is the plastic face shield intoduces some distortion to your vision.

rodent
29th August 2008, 12:44 AM
Grumpy the tritons got a good strong face shield . you know for thoughs bits of wood you keep trying to head but . Great for flying bark bits too . Im trying to build a trickle charger for mine now let you know when it's finished .

hitch
29th August 2008, 02:19 AM
I don't no anything about this and do not own or ever tried on a respirator. Great credentials for comment here you must admit!!:D

However I am developing an interest in turning an recently someone who teaches the art advised me that Trend was the best product and streets ahead of the rest.

Interesting that so far no one has made comment about the Trend product in this poll.

Toasty
29th August 2008, 08:23 AM
...Trend was the best product and streets ahead of the rest.

Interesting that so far no one has made comment about the Trend product in this poll.

Trend is recognised as a good product, but it also costs up to three or four times more than other respirators. Yeah, what price safety, eh?

damian
29th August 2008, 09:42 AM
Well I've bene in various industries all my life nd have some experience of the various options.

I bought a triton because they are $195 and the 3 m's are mostly up around $600. It's cheap, the headband on mine doesn't work anymore, but the ear muffs hold it nicely in place, the face shield distorts your vision as Cliff says but in practise it doesn't matter much. I use mine A LOT. I mow in it, I wear it anytime there is any dust or fume related issue, it's not rated for fumes but is better than nothing and you can get fume filters for it. Std filters can be had cheap if you shop round.

It is a domestic/hobby quality unit, not an industrial quality unit.

On ebay you can pick up the elements to build a 3M setup, and depends on your needs you can go for a teathered unit connected to an air compressor which you can site remotely for excellant protection. This will save you some money upfront and in use. Small compressors are cheap nowdays. The 3M units are more comfortable and durable.

The triton is convenient.

Bascially comes down to your budget. There is another one for about $450 I've seen but I've not tried them.

NeilS
29th August 2008, 02:46 PM
...depends on your needs you can go for a teathered unit connected to an air compressor which you can site remotely for excellant protection. This will save you some money upfront and in use. Small compressors are cheap nowdays.

That would need to be a non-oil compressor type as breathing the oil vapours that come off oil based air compressors (despite oil vapour filters) could create another health issue.

Another option for a tethered unit (which I mostly use) is to connect up to a domestic air filter. I posted something on what I did some time back...see link below. Another advantage of this approach which I didn't mention on that post is the much larger (and more readily available) HEPA filter which it uses.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=748248&postcount=14

Neil

AJ
29th August 2008, 06:08 PM
I have a trend respirator that I bought a few years ago before the Triton was available. It is light weight and the batteries last a few hours but are expensive to buy as extras ($70+):((. The downside is it takes 12 hours to recharge them. I didn't go for some of the other brands because of the battery hanging around your waist and some are quite heavy:no:. The filters on the trend are also very expensive. If I could start again I would probably go for the triton.

Ashes
29th August 2008, 08:53 PM
Triton guys...how much did you pay for a 2nd battery pack?

Cliff Rogers
29th August 2008, 10:16 PM
$105 plus postage but it was a while ago.

damian
30th August 2008, 11:32 AM
That would need to be a non-oil compressor type as breathing the oil vapours that come off oil based air compressors (despite oil vapour filters) could create another health issue.

Neil

You can use a regular air compressor, you put a special filter inline to remove oil, water etc.

If you buy a system from a 3M dealer they would sort that for you, if your cooking your own you need to do some reading to determine what you need.

That applies to any equipment you buy. Either realize you don't know and ask someone who does, or find out for yourself. Asking on an internet forum where you don't know who people are nor what their real background is isn't a substitute for that. I would have thought that was obvious, but on reflection perhaps it isn't. This is a great place to start an investigation, but particularly where safety is concerned it seriously isn't an end.

Tornatus
30th August 2008, 11:47 PM
Triton guys...how much did you pay for a 2nd battery pack?

I ordered mine through a local supplier who gives discounts for woodies, and it cost me $81 - that includes a belt, so you just swap units.

HansGScholte
1st September 2008, 08:20 PM
I remember there was a discussion about the Trend Airshield shortly after the Pro was introduced. Not everyone was happy the filters for the original Airshield were discontinued, without warning and no alternatives.

Some more can be found here.
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20836&highlight=trend+airshield

Hans

Grumpy John
3rd September 2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the feedback people. Looks like it's going to be a Triton on the wish list for fathers day this year.
Interesting that there were 11 votes for the "other" option but only Record Power and 3M got a mention. Rang Blackwoods to get a price on the 3M Jupiter™ Powered Air Purifying Respirator System - $1800 + GST :oo:, the guy said he doesn't sell many.

rsser
7th September 2008, 06:11 PM
Your kids are better trained than mine GJ!

But I did get a Churchill seegar.

I use a Trend Airshield and have no experience with any other brands.

Suits me cos it's light, has no frills like ear guards and helmet, can be worn all day long and is quiet. Oh, and doesn't recycle my pharts.

AJ, there's a cheap alternative to the OEM battery pack that you can make yourself - uses 3 AA rechargables. PM me if interested.