PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - What size chainsaw?

Brendan1152
24th August 2008, 09:26 PM
Hi,

I have just completed a two day 'intro to turning' workshop and am seriously hooked:D

I will be getting a lathe and want to start putting blanks away to season. I am interested in cutting my own turning blanks and was wondering what size chain saw most people use?

I will be getting green logs from a friend who does gardening and maintenance work, probably up to 18" in diameter.

Any advice, thoughts or suggestions:?

Regards

Brendan

thefixer
24th August 2008, 09:45 PM
Depends a lot on your budget. I would love a full size stihl chain saw then I could not only just cut logs but also set up a rig to turn it into makeshift timber mill. But the budget only allowed for a 16" Mculloch for $199 at dare I say it Bunnings. Having said that, it is very reliable and so far I haven't had any logs it can't handle. Though most of what I cut is green. Wouldn't like to tackle a 20 year old redgum log though.

Cheers
Shorty

Calm
24th August 2008, 09:46 PM
By my first read of this post i dont think you have ever used a chainsaw.

You are hooked on turning and i think you would be best to now do a chainsaw course as well.

As for which saw well a 12 inch bar cutting from both sides of the log can cut at least 20 inches, so in theory that is all you need.

I would suggest something like a 50cc motor on a saw to be a "small" useful saw that would do most of what you want. They usually have a 15 to 18 inch bar.

Seriously take my advice about the lessons, a chainsaw in unfamiliar hands is a dangerous weapon.

Good luck

weisyboy
24th August 2008, 09:51 PM
get te stihl MS170

best small saw on the market. cuts better than our 026AV. we use it for fencing has no trouble cutting teh top of an old dry 13" ironbark fence post.:2tsup:

get someone to show you how to use it properly thow.

woodwork wally
24th August 2008, 10:49 PM
G.Day I have an Echo farm boss 18" :2tsup:a solo 18" :)both around 45 cc. + and an Ozito electric:2tsup: from THE BIG B. the two fuel fed are scrub machines and the electric is all I use in town. I have had no hassles with the Echo{ 7 seasons of winter firewood cut prior to a clean out and oil for 6 year layup and now another 4 years of firewood and lathe timber for 6 spark plugs } :U:Unor Ozito but the Solo can be contrary at times . The electric is 16" and has paid for itself in peace with neighbours and a lot of work and was cheap to buy so if you are in close proximity with neighbours then I suggest electric :2tsup:. A huge safety factor is that both hands need to be in an uncuttable position to make it work . Green wood tends to be easy for it . thats my 2 bobs worth and hope it helps with your thoughts Cheers WW .Wally

Brendan1152
24th August 2008, 11:25 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the pointers on what you are using, I should have mentioned that I have used chainsaws in the past - learnt to use one in the Army many years ago. I owned a 12" Canadian one (brand name escapes me at the moment) until I got divorced about 13 years ago, it was one of many tools that I lost at that time.

I have had a look at that B place but was hoping to get an idea of what people are using as a starting point for what is currently available.

Regards

Brendan

BobL
24th August 2008, 11:39 PM
Hi,

I have just completed a two day 'intro to turning' workshop and am seriously hooked:D My deepest consolations and commiserations.

I will be getting a lathe and want to start putting blanks away to season. I am interested in cutting my own turning blanks and was wondering what size chain saw most people use?

Any advice, thoughts or suggestions:?

By size I assume you mean bar length? although as some posters have suggested size can be interpreted as engine cc.

Carl is right about the little Stihl being a great little unit but it probably a bit of cost overkill for cutting up a few blanks although looked after it will last for decades.

As Calm says a 12" bar will be fine for 18" logs but if you are not going to be using it for anything else the you don't even need to go to 50 cc.

robutacion
25th August 2008, 12:42 AM
Hi Brendan1152,

I also believe, is a good idea to use a electric chainsaw at home, even if you don't have problems with noise levels and neighbours, a 14" or 16" electric will do nearly all the log preparation cuts for making turning blanks, and is a lot lighter to handle. If money is not a problem to you, buy a 18" to 20" from 40cc to 60cc petrol Sthil or Husqvarna for about $750 to $1000 and a 16" electric chainsaw from one of the above brands for about $500. Extra chains, oils, mix, hand files/sharpener & dresser, another $200. Don't forget the protective gear, chaps, etc.:wink:
Now, you can save quite a bit of money (actually, a lot) by buying a "good" Chinese chainsaw on eBay for about $200 to $250 (22" to 24" x 62cc) and a 14" to 16" electric chainsaw for about $100 to $150. You can then by a spare 16" to 18" bar & chain for the big saw, allowing you to have the option to cut bigger stuff or make a small mill with the large bar, and cut small stuff with the smaller bar. Obviously, these machines are not as robust and durable as the good brands, but looked after, they will last you a long time.:)
So, the petrol chainsaw for cutting in the paddock, and the electric saw to finish the cuts (rounds, etc.) at home. You still need the $200 or so for the bar, chains, oils and sharpeners, plus some dollars for the protective gear but, you should be able to get the lot for about $750 or less.:D

Some times, too many choices are a bugger, huh?:U

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

BobL
25th August 2008, 02:19 AM
. . . . . . Don't forget the protective gear, chaps, etc.:wink:

Just a heads-up/reminder that Chaps do not work with electric chain saws.

Ed Reiss
25th August 2008, 01:12 PM
Hi Brendan...

Have used a Husqvarna 351 (18" bar) for about 15 years....wouldn't trade it for anything else!:2tsup:

Cheers,
Ed :D

Rum Pig
25th August 2008, 02:05 PM
I bought a chainsaw about 2 moths ago for me it was a bit like the gmc lathe debate I could not afford to buy a good brand:( so it was to look at the best of the cheappies and I found a 18" 45cc Ryobi for $220 from B and it comes with a 2 year replacement warranty:D.
I found a lot of the other brands had a smaller motor and shorter warranty so that is why I chose that one. I went for the 18" because I can not afford 2 chainsaws so I figured bigger can cut more but you need to be careful when cutting small items.
Having said all that my first chainsaw the clutch seized open :oo: so back to B I went and they swapped it for a new one without any fuss:D so I'm on number 2 now.
I am no expert on chainsaws but I hope this helps.

Oh I bought an spare chain for $40 (not from B).

damian
25th August 2008, 02:16 PM
I bought one off ebay, $143 delivered, 22" bar 52 cc, princess trade I think they are called.

Starts after a few easy pulls, idles, runs like a clock, cuts like butter. As friend said the annual service on his stihl is that money.

I've got 2 brushcutters from stihl (fs220 and 74) and like their stuff, but if you can't afford a magnum...

Brendan1152
25th August 2008, 06:31 PM
Just a heads-up/reminder that Chaps do not work with electric chain saws.

Hi BobL,

Can I ask why? I thought the function of Chaps was to protect the lower extremities from errant chains etc - is there something I am missing?

Regards

Brendan

robutacion
26th August 2008, 01:19 AM
Hi BobL,

Can I ask why? I thought the function of Chaps was to protect the lower extremities from errant chains etc - is there something I am missing?

Regards

Brendan

I believe I can help you here Brendan, BobL and I, we have discussed this same issue recently on another thread, look at post 8 on here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=780892#post780892).

Good call, anyway...!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Ianab
26th August 2008, 08:29 PM
Hi BobL,

Regards

Brendan

I believe they still work, just not as well as with gas saws. The reason is that with a gas saw the torque curve drops off rapidly as the engine is loaded up, so the engine quickly slows down untill the clutch slips. A big chunk of nylon will stop a chain FAST once it gets into the sprocket. Hopefully before it gets through to your leg.

An electric saw has a different torque curve, where the torque actually increases as the revs drop and you dont have a clutch to remove the drive from the chain. So the electric saw could chew it's way further though the chaps where a more powerfull gas saw would not.

I would definately still use chaps with an electric saw, but be more carefull as they are not as effective.

Ian

weisyboy
26th August 2008, 08:50 PM
iv got an anchient makita electric saw and it has a clutch.

Ianab
27th August 2008, 08:23 PM
iv got an anchient makita electric saw and it has a clutch.

And it's also probably an order of magnitude better then the cheap electric saws that dont :wink:

Ian

thefixer
1st September 2008, 10:01 PM
It Had to be done:D:D

BobL
1st September 2008, 10:15 PM
It Had to be done:D:D

Something wrong with that sign in that cartoon. Says "only used once", but 4 bodily parts are affected.

thefixer
1st September 2008, 11:24 PM
Something wrong with that sign in that cartoon. Says "only used once", but 4 bodily parts are affected.

It was his missus who used it only once:D