PDA

View Full Version : WIP Entry Sideboard

Sleeping Dog
24th August 2008, 11:49 PM
G'day troops,

Got one of Studleys hardwood flooring packs last June. First job off the list was a sideboard or whatever you call those cupboards people put in their entries. So I thought I'd do the right thing and share my WIP with my forums friends.

Well, it was supposed to be a work in progress but life got in the way, the camera decided to go on strike and I never really got around to it. (always wanted a round tuit:q).

I started out taking lots of pics in the early stages but my camera stopped working and by the time it came back from the shop the job was pretty much finished, so I think I'll just post a few.

Pic 1: How I got around of only having 19 mm stock to make the legs with.
Pic 2: Stuck a block inside while cutting mortices to avoid tearout.
Pic 3: Dry assembly
Pic 4: Gluing trims on.
Pic 5:Sanding inset panels, these are just edge glued. Had that old DeWalt ROS for about 15 years now, we've sanded many miles together.

And then the camera went bung....:((
..... and then I got the camera fixed, the rest are pictures taken tonight with the first coat of Minwax on. Sorry about the big gap between photos.

Pic 6-9: The front, the back (the dropped top rail in the middle is because there is a powerpoint behind that I want to access), a corner and the front again.

I purposely wanted to go for a heavy, chunky look to reflect the solidness of the hardwood it's made from. And heavy it certainly is, a four person lift I should think - and it hasn't got a top yet!!!

Haven't started the top yet, I'm thinking a 30 mm slab of sandstone.... waddya think?

SD

flynnsart
25th August 2008, 09:30 AM
Nice work:2tsup: You look so organised. Photos can be deceptive when it comes to timber colour, will sandstone be the right tone to complement the wood? Hard to tell from the pics. Is the sandstone to hold down the table in case a wind gust tries to pick up the lightweight aussie hardwood?:q I do like the idea of it (the sandstone) as hall tables tend to gather all sorts of "put down" items like groceries, keys etc, so would be pretty impervious to damage.

Donna

Fuzzie
25th August 2008, 10:22 AM
:2tsup:Nice to see original ideas. Reminds me a bit of Arts and Crafts style.

Andy Mac
25th August 2008, 11:22 AM
I reckon that is a beautiful thing! Big and bold and geometric:2tsup:
Regards the top, I do like mixing timbers up a bit (haven't tried stone with timber though:-), but in this case I'd lean towards the same timber. It already has variations in the the colour without adding more.IMHO that is!

Cheers,

Woodwould
25th August 2008, 12:57 PM
Very resourceful.:2tsup: It certainly won't blow over if someone leaves the front door open.

Ozkaban
25th August 2008, 02:11 PM
Very resourceful.:2tsup: It certainly won't blow over if someone leaves the front door open.

No, but the house might one day:oo:. I'd go the Sandstone to make sure everything stays put. :2tsup:

cheers,
Dave

Sleeping Dog
1st November 2008, 08:18 PM
Forgot all about this thread I started:B

Here she is finished - big piece of sandstone (two bits actually) cost $200.. quite reasonable I thought.

FYI.. prints are circa 1930's, inherited them from my Grandma.

SD.

mic-d
1st November 2008, 09:16 PM
SD that is a beautiful geometric piece and the sandstone top looks good too.

Cheers
Michael

Tex B
1st November 2008, 09:42 PM
I like it Sleepy. Good interplay of open/closed space, interesting combination of materials, complementary colour of the sandstone to the timber. The banding on the legs give good interest and pulls the lines across what would otherwise be a big heavy looking leg. Very very nice. :2tsup:

Tex

BobR
1st November 2008, 09:46 PM
Great work - I like it. You have a few miter joints on that piece. Must be a real expert by now.

Sleeping Dog
1st November 2008, 11:06 PM
Well, thank you chaps, I love it when a project comes together.... not quite how I envisioned it at the start, but I'm happy with it. More important, the wife temporarily thinks I'm clever.:U

Miters? I've done a few. Cut my teeth trying to do them on a Triton, now with the Supersaw it's almost too easy.:D

SD.

ajw
2nd November 2008, 12:02 AM
Just beautiful. Love the way the trim works on the legs, and the intricate design that creates real interest. If it were at my place, the sandstone top would be covered in things dumped by the kids on the way through the front door.

Pops
2nd November 2008, 01:41 PM
Hi SD,

I had missed this thread but jsut came across it. Very impressed, it is difficult to get the look / balance right on geometric pieces like that and you have done a great. I really like it. Very individula, beautiful one off piece. :2tsup: Goes well with your Grandma's prints too. :2tsup:

It is very McIntosh or Greene & Greene, (not sure I spelled them correctly).

Cheers
Pops

Harry72
2nd November 2008, 06:32 PM
Nice piece SD.

Sleeping Dog
2nd November 2008, 09:17 PM
It is very McIntosh or Greene & Greene, (not sure I spelled them correctly).

Cheers
Pops

Haven't heard of these Pops but I'll be sure and look them up.

I'd like to say that all the stuff I make are original ideas out of my head but alas, I don't have that sort of imagination:(, I usually cruise the internet for items or bits of items that take my fancy, and I'll try to adapt that to suit my space. Plagiarism? probably...

Basic idea for this one came from Todd Brotherton's portfolio on his website. Of course his is waaaaaay betterer. I like the Arts and Crafts style and Frank Lloyd-Wright's work and I was trying for that sort of feel.

Just for something completely different, I'm now working on a campervan fit-out.

Sleepy.

AlexS
3rd November 2008, 08:01 AM
I like the Arts and Crafts style and Frank Lloyd-Wright's work and I was trying for that sort of feel.

You hit it pretty well then. I reckon you've captured the arts & craft style with a contemporary feel. Looks great, well done.

Wongo
3rd November 2008, 09:12 AM
That is an interesting piece of work. Well done SD.:2tsup: