PDA

View Full Version : Roller Desk

Happy73
25th August 2008, 02:55 PM
Hi Folks,

I picked up this desk on a verge pickup last week, in pretty good condition but is missing the front of the top left drawer.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/picture.php?albumid=63&pictureid=570

Couple of questions

1 - Does anyone know what this desk is called, might help me track down a replacement drawer

and 2 - while the photo might not suggest it, the timber is looking a little "dry" .. would a rub back with steel wool and a little varnish be the best way to bring it back to life?

Thanks,
Happy.

astrid
25th August 2008, 09:57 PM
It's a good find, are the fronts dovetailed or stapled on?
take it to a cabinate maker and ask, the liklihood of getting a replacement draw is 0-0

Whats it called? looks like a reproduction roll top desk, or if you want posh, a reproduction cutler desk

Astrid

Happy73
8th September 2008, 03:21 PM
It's a good find, are the fronts dovetailed or stapled on?
take it to a cabinate maker and ask, the liklihood of getting a replacement draw is 0-0

Whats it called? looks like a reproduction roll top desk, or if you want posh, a reproduction cutler desk

Astrid

The front of the drawers are just glued on as far as I can tell. I found a sticker in one of the drawers saying it was made in Belmont in perth but a quick google of the company name says it has stopped trading :~

What would be the best way to bring it back up to shine?

Chikoroll
8th September 2008, 07:29 PM
light sand back with 320 grit and topcoat of lacquer

Happy73
10th September 2008, 05:09 PM
Does anyone know a cabinet maker in Perth who might be able to make a replacmeent part ?

astrid
11th September 2008, 01:33 PM
Its not a hard job to replace if it's not dovetailed, look in the yellow pages ans take the broken draw and an intact one to any decent cabinate maker.

Astrid

Happy73
11th September 2008, 01:54 PM
hehe decent is the operative word :) I'll do some ringing around and see what I can find - if anyone in Perth has a recommendation please let me know!

thanks.

astrid
11th September 2008, 08:35 PM
It'll be a modern synthetic, try just a rub over with boiled linseed oil that will reduce the scratches. test it on a scratch and see how it goes

seriph1
14th October 2008, 06:49 PM
These were popular/common in the 1980's - usually made from Pine and made to a fairly low standard - I have always liked them (the originals anyway)

---some useless information follows----

I have been looking for a WOOTON PATENT SECRETARY for many years. I finally bought an horrendous reproduction and will adjust/modify/remake it one day unless I can find an 'affordable' original. The best examples of the Wooton's go for hundreds of thousands of dollars..... average ones are around $15-$25K US.

BTW - yours is normally called a Rolltop Desk in Australia or a Cutler Desk in the UK and USA. The slatted or 'roll' top is called a tambour.

I suggest not bothering to match in a drawer front, even though it's probably possible to get a 'fair' match - It would be easier to make a pair of contrasting drawer fronts, one for the top drawer on each side, then add a few trim pieces somewhere in the same material so it looks like it was always meant to be that way ..... being in WA, Jarrah would look nice I think..... just a thought :D

hirschybar
20th May 2010, 06:29 PM
Hello,
Saw the posting for the reproduction Wooton / Wooten desks -- can anyone point me in the direction of these as the 25,000 price tag is also currently out of my range...
Thanks,
Steve