PDA

View Full Version : Turning job required - Sydney North

SaltyOne
27th August 2008, 10:07 AM
I have a number of small components I need turned up from a bar of Delrin plastic. They are 40mm to 110mm in length and the bar is 80mm diameter. I was hoping that womeone with a lathe and some spare time on Sydney's north or northwest may be prepared to offer assistance. The components are for a boat - bits that fell off or broke, and which can't be replaced by the supplier.

Delrin is a hard black plastic. I have all the drawings. The shapes are not complex. It would be an interesting job for a wood turner wanting to experiment with new materials. I can find companies willing to mill the pieces (at ridiculous prices) but no-one who wants to take on a simple turning job. A suitable contribution in cash or kind can be negotiated.

I would be happy to do the job myself, assuming someone is prepared to allow me near their machine! Otherwise, a purely supervisory role is probably more appropriate.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Vernonv
27th August 2008, 02:11 PM
SaltyOne, although I can't help with the job, you may want to post it in the metalwork forum as well, because it's really a machining job and some of the guys in there have lathes capable of more precision type work.

SaltyOne
29th August 2008, 09:19 AM
Thank you for the suggestion - I will do exactly that. I have had an indication from the local Mens Shed that it might be possible to use one of their machines, with someone looking over my shoulder.