PDA

View Full Version : Router workshops

Template Tom
27th August 2008, 10:46 AM
It has been some time since I was involved in a router workshop. The boys from Perth woodschool invited me to conduct a workshop this Friday. I know this section is for discussion on router jigs. I see very little jigs produced in the workshop and a great deal of discussion on the bought jigs.
My workshop will be based on Jigs and templates produced in our own workshop. I will let you know the reponse to the presentation and maybe I could convince participants of the workshop to make a posting as to what they thought of the presentation.
There is a great deal more can be produced with the router when making your own Jigs.
Tom

wheelinround
27th August 2008, 12:07 PM
Tom Perth is sooooo far west good luck with the course and at such a fine school too.:2tsup:.

You are right recently at Benchwoork's sale I checked out Matsercraft's Spiro router jig and a few others. :no: didnt get them

jw2170
28th August 2008, 04:42 PM
Tom,

I know the workshop will be a success . :2tsup:

Pity I am in Sydney

Hope to make one of your jig holders this weekend......

James

Template Tom
30th August 2008, 11:44 PM
Tom,

I know the workshop will be a success . :2tsup:

Pity I am in Sydney

Hope to make one of your jig holders this weekend......

James

I hope you managed to get that jig holder made I had a simple jig ready for the group to produce theirs in minutes.

Well I had a very busy day. I had seven partcipants attend. It was advertised as an Advanced router course but everyone who attended openly admitted that they were new to routing they had done the usual thing like add an edge to a table top or routed a groove to insert a shelf and of course produce mouldings on the router table. Would you believe we did not use the router table all day.

I had available a number of jigs and templates where they had an opportunity to try without having to go through the process of actually making the templates. It was essential that they made the Jig holder and they all went home with two each a 400 x 300mm and a 300mm square model.

There was great interest in my circle cutting Jig and also my ski mode and they were able to rout both of them from the jigs and templates if they so wished.

To overcome the problem that most people have and that is the making of templates I demonstrated the use of the full size drawings they were able to fix to the template material and simple cut out the shape.

It was evident that all had very little experience with the use of the template guides and by the end of the day they were efficient in their use. The participants turned up with a variey of routers some not capable of inserting template guides at least a 40mm guide. I suppose I was prepared for this and I had approached our local Makita distributer who very kindly loaned me 5 of their routers with the template guides. In my humble opinion I consider the Makita router the most satisfactory router when using the template guide method. I know that others may dispute the comment.

One of the group saw how the Makita was going to improve his routing techniques and he left to go and purchase a 3612C from a nearby local store even though he had turned up with his own brand new router.

It cetainly was a very busy day for me with everyone working on individual projects I had brought along for them to do. It had been some eight years since I had run a router workshop and it is thanks to the Perth woodschool that at least seven more routing enthusiasts went hope with a better understanding on 'How to get more from their router'[/B

Of course it ws impossible for me to take along all my jigs I have produced over the years but I have enclosed some of the projects they had a go at on the day. I know some looked at the finished project and looked at the template and said how is it possible to end up with shape.

There was a great interest in my cabinet door and a least three participants went home with the completed product.

There was a need to brush up on their mathematical skills to complete the lid for a simple elliptical trinket box, where the internal material was removed with a 40mm Guide and a 19mm dish cutter, then I asked Russel to produce a plug that would fit neatly into the recess.

On the whole I was pleased with the days outcomes and I only hope that those who attended went home with a greater knowledge of how to [B]'Get more from their router'

I sent them of with some home work (typical of an old school teacher) It was a copy of my DVD I had produced when I gave my presentation at the Perth wood show earlier in the month. It was full of other jigs and templates that I had produced for the woodshow as it was a number of projects I had not written about, so that will be material for my future CD-ROMs should there be any interest in my method of using the router.

Samples of the projects they had a go at during the day are listed below
Tom

jw2170
31st August 2008, 05:12 PM
Tom,

Did not get the jig holder finished.

The weather was inclement today, and I can only work outdoors.

My first project will be to make some templates such as Harrysin and you have produced.

However, glad to hear that you had success.

I have just purchased a base plate and router bushing set from
Carbatec, but the largest guide is 1 3/8"....:(

Rgds,
James

Template Tom
2nd September 2008, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=jw2170;797699]Tom,

Did not get the jig holder finished.

The weather was inclement today, and I can only work outdoors.

My first project will be to make some templates such as Harrysin and you have produced.

James make your templates as you go along working on your project

However, glad to hear that you had success.

I am convinced that the group would have gone home with a greater knowledge of why we use template guides

I have just purchased a base plate and router bushing set from
Carbatec, but the largest guide is 1 3/8"....:(

Now you have me concerned but I suppose it will depend on what router you have. (I would be interested) and why imperial guides which may make it awkward doing the calculations re. offsets. Regarding the largest size it is near enough to 40mm and what is important it will allow the chuck to penetratre through to give you the depth of cut you require when using short 1/4" cutters

Keep up the interest on the use of the guides and you will be introducing many projects not capable of producing on the router table

Tom

jw2170
5th September 2008, 11:17 PM
Tom,

Now you have me concerned but I suppose it will depend on what router you have

I have a Ryobi ERT241200 and a Triton TRA001 (triton is table mounted).
+ a small Ozito 8mm plunge router.

And would be interested to know why the imperial set would be of concern....

The simple reason I bought the imperial busing set was, it was all they had in stock at the time. And I have the ofset guide form BOBj3....

At times, I am an impulse buyer of tools.

The Ryobi has a a metal base with only a small central hole, but I have fitted the universal base plate to that so I can attempt some template routing.

Thanks to your guidance here and on the other forum......

Tom , I am a lot younger that you and do not have your experience but am trying to learn.:B

James

Template Tom
6th September 2008, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=jw2170;801365]Tom,

I have a Ryobi ERT241200 and a Triton TRA001 (triton is table mounted).
+ a small Ozito 8mm plunge router.

I am not familiar with the Ryobi is it a 1/2" or a 1/4" shank?

And would be interested to know why the imperial set would be of concern....

The simple reason I bought the imperial busing set was, it was all they had in stock at the time. And I have the ofset guide form BOBj3....

The imperial set would make it harder to workout the off-sets using imperial guides and metric cutters. Unlike Bobj3 I have no need for the table as that only shows each off-set for straight cutters and I use a great number of Face/edge cutters. Usually taken from the carb-i-tool catalogue

At times, I am an impulse buyer of tools.

The Ryobi has a a metal base with only a small central hole, but I have fitted the universal base plate to that so I can attempt some template routing.

From what you have said here I am assuming that you have a 1/4" Ryobi for hand held projects????? (and yes the triton is best used for the router table) hence the reason for the purchase of the imperial set?

Thanks to your guidance here and on the other forum......

Tom , I am a lot younger that you and do not have your experience but am trying to learn.:B

Just keep trying new methods and I know that working with the template guides is new to most router users. Once you have mastered the use of them you will be able to achieve a greater range of projects. The average router user has still to find out the advantages of the guides. People have been guided along to use the router in the router table when you see the number of postings re the use of the table they are led to believe that is the only way to go. I have to admit they are wrong in the same way I was some 40 years ago when I fitted it to a board and made my first router table. I still have need for the table but I am producing projects impossible to be produced in the router table. I also have to say that some processes produced in the router table can be achieved with greater safety awareness if only the template guides were to be used. I have taught blind people to use the router all in the hand held position with the aid of the template guides. Samples posted

Tom

jw2170
6th September 2008, 10:24 PM
Tom,

The Ryobi ERT241200 is a 1200watt 1\2" plunge router.

At this stage I have managed to set the universal base plate on and can now use the guide bushings.

Will have to start with some straight cuts before make a simple template and jig holder.

James

Template Tom
7th September 2008, 04:35 PM
Have you tried to get Guides for the Ryobi I'm not sure if they produce them.

Makita at one time had a 16mm guide included in the box with the router that was a long time ago and I know they are not included now. I suppose they were aware that 'nobdy' was using them so why include them. I consider the template guide is the most usefull accessory available for the router. Not just the one size but a collection of them.

James keep up the good work and I am sure you will be rewarded a thousand times over once you master the use of the guides. As I have said in the past not many router users have taken the time to try the guides. I have written an article on "the Introduction to the use of template Guides' and it's free to those who wish to learn new routing techniques. So if you don't have a copy and would like one just get in touch with me.
At the latest wood show here in Perth I displayed some of my latest jigs for routing dovetails (Sliding) and how to cut mitres with the router. It does involve the making of Jigs and templates from the material you have in your own workshop so there is very little expense involved.
Tom

jw2170
13th September 2008, 10:33 PM
Tom,

Sorry for the late response.
I do not get on to this forum as much as I used to.
I Do have your "introduction-use-template-guides-intro-template-guides-publication.pdf", this has been a inspiration to my use of the router..

Have put the jig holder on hold and am working on a frame/base for my router table.

May get some photos on tomorrow night :B

Thanks.

James

Johncs
15th October 2008, 12:39 AM
Makita at one time had a 16mm guide included in the box with the router that was a long time ago and I know they are not included now. I suppose they were aware that 'nobdy' was using them so why include them. I consider the template guide is the most usefull accessory available for the router. Not just the one size but a collection of them.

Tom

G'day, Tom. We met at the woodshow - I'm a little taller than you, and fairly hairy:B

I have a Ryobi, not that model, and it came with one template guide.
The Maktec trimmer also comes with a template guide, and I think all the Makita trimmers do too - looking at them in the shop, I could not see any reason to pay more for the Makita, at least until I wear the Maktec out.

Swanz
27th October 2008, 11:26 PM
Hi Tom,
I am interested in your introduction to Template Guides for the router. I am just a newcomer to this 'hobby' at the age of 68 and am in the stage of getting together some machinery and tools. Thank you for your offer of help, it is very much appreciated.
Regards.. Max

Template Tom
4th November 2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Tom,
I am interested in your introduction to Template Guides for the router. I am just a newcomer to this 'hobby' at the age of 68 and am in the stage of getting together some machinery and tools. Thank you for your offer of help, it is very much appreciated.
Regards.. Max

Max

Sorry if I have not answered your posting Had visitors for the past week. If you send me your email address I will forward the article in question.

Tom

Jerryj
4th November 2008, 10:29 PM
Hi Tom I would also be very interested in any info about " introduction to Template Guides " and when your next template course might be, cheers jerry. email [email protected]

Template Tom
4th November 2008, 11:25 PM
Hi Tom I would also be very interested in any info about " introduction to Template Guides " and when your next template course might be, cheers jerry. email [email protected]

Jerry
I have sent the article as requested and I will be conducting another workshop on Wed 12th Nov. Contact the perthwoodschool for details.
Tom

Template Tom
4th November 2008, 11:34 PM
Jerry
I have sent the article as requested and I will be conducting another workshop on Wed 12th Nov. Contact the perthwoodschool for details.
Tom

Jerry
The material I sent was not accepted at that email address As a matter of interest the next course is on the 12th Nov if you are interested contact the perthwoodschool or me
Tom

Jerryj
5th November 2008, 12:13 AM
Sorry Tom wrong email address will contact Perth Wood school Cheers Jerry

Template Tom
5th November 2008, 10:45 AM
Sorry Tom wrong email address should be [EMAIL="EMAIL]
I will contact Perth Wood school Cheers Jerry

Ok Jerry

I might suggest you remove your email address so as not to attrach spam

Tom

Jerryj
5th November 2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks Tom I have enrolled on your course next week Nov 12,

Template Tom
5th November 2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks Tom I have enrolled on your course next week Nov 12,

Jerry
Great looking forward to seeing you there.
What router and template guides do you have?
Also what range of cutters do you have? Are any of the Face/edge cutters?
Do you have any experience with the use of the guides.
If possible try to get hold of the following guides for your router 40mm 30mm 16mm. These guides are only for a start as you will require a greater variety after you see what can be achieved at the workshop. It is a hands on workshop using jigs and templates.
Give me an email if you have any questions
Tom

Jerryj
6th November 2008, 07:53 PM
Hi Tom Jerry here looking forward to the router course. I have a ryobi ERT241200 1/2 inch 1200 watt router, I only have 27mm guide. I know you prefer Hitachi, I was hoping I would be using routers provided, I did not want to buy anything before the course in case I got the wrong gear. I could buy a universal base plate with guide set but prefer to wait if possible, perhaps you could advise.

Cheers Jerry

Template Tom
6th November 2008, 10:05 PM
Hi Tom Jerry here looking forward to the router course. I have a ryobi ERT241200 1/2 inch 1200 watt router, I only have 27mm guide. I know you prefer Hitachi, I was hoping I would be using routers provided, I did not want to buy anything before the course in case I got the wrong gear. I could buy a universal base plate with guide set but prefer to wait if possible, perhaps you could advise.

Cheers Jerry

You May have seen me demonstrate the Hitachi router a couple of years ago at the Perth show. It is a great machine but like all routers it is not the 'Ultimate' router. It has its good points and also its bad points. People ask me often which router to Buy. I will not say as everyone is entitled to to make their own choice. I have two Hitachi and three Makita routers and a Triton that is permanently inserted in the router table which it was designed for. Each router has it's own advantages and disadvantages and everyone has their own reason for the purchase they have made. Today I was speaking to someone who says that the Festool is the one to get. As he said it suits him for the work he has to do. I took him into my workshop and he had a look at some of my work yes it could be done with the festool but I still prefer my Makita. Try to borrow a makita for the day and you will see the advantages of having such a wonderful machine. At my last workshop one of the participants left to reurn with a new makita he purchased from the shop accross the street and he left with no regrets at his purchase.
Tom
-

Jerryj
7th November 2008, 10:38 PM
Sorry Tom just one more question, if I was get another router for use with template guides would I be better with a large powerful router say 2000 watts or small light weight say 1000 watts, Thanks Jerry

Template Tom
8th November 2008, 08:37 AM
Sorry Tom just one more question, if I was get another router for use with template guides would I be better with a large powerful router say 2000 watts or small light weight say 1000 watts, Thanks Jerry

Jerry

I would recommend the large router. You will not feel the weight as it is resting on the templates and guided by the template guides. A number of router users purchase the small router for this reason (it is easier to handle) but they are not using template guides. The workshop I will be conducting will be a hands-on with the router in the plunge mode. It will not be used in the router table but I will introduce some aspects of routing where the router is usually inserted in the table. I have devised a new idea for trimming and edging without putting it under the table or using it hand-held so there is no concern regarding the weight of the router.

Looking forward to seeing you at the workshop and I am convinced you will leave with a better understanding of what the router is capable of achieving and in some instances you will be amazed at what you will be able to produce, and maybe you will be able to inform others on 'How to get more from their router'.

Tom

Template Tom
8th January 2009, 09:27 AM
It has been some time since I was involved in a router workshop. The boys from Perth woodschool invited me to conduct a workshop this Friday. I know this section is for discussion on router jigs. I see very little jigs produced in the workshop and a great deal of discussion on the bought jigs.
My workshop will be based on Jigs and templates produced in our own workshop. I will let you know the reponse to the presentation and maybe I could convince participants of the workshop to make a posting as to what they thought of the presentation.
There is a great deal more can be produced with the router when making your own Jigs.
Tom

Well it is on again.
Some people I have spoken to since I conducted the workshop were unable to attend the last session. This is a reminder that the Perth Woodschool have asked me to conduct a further workshop on Sat 7th Feb. Numbers are limited so book in soon. Be prepared to change your ideas as to how a router is used and also I will be introducing greater safety awareness with the use of the router.

Don't delay, contact David soon to secure your place 9358 0500. I will introduce projects that you would consider could not be achieved with the router.

Give me a call 9459 2796 for any further information on the workshop content.

Tom

Wongdai
8th January 2009, 02:24 PM
Tom, my main non-table router is an Elu MOF96. Is this going to be suitable for the course? It only has a 1/4" collet.

Template Tom
8th January 2009, 04:07 PM
Tom, my main non-table router is an Elu MOF96. Is this going to be suitable for the course? It only has a 1/4" collet.

To answer truthfully the answer is no I also have an elu and it is placed in a small router table just for trimming purposes only small trimming I must add. My favourite router is the Makita 3612C. It can take all the cutters I like to use and also template guides are readily available for them in shops such as Beyond Tools in Malaga. Just as a mater of interest not all tool stores stock template guides. If you are to use my method then a 1/2" router is required with the following template guides 40mm 30mm and 16mm. There will also be a number of cutters you will require, cutters that you have never ever considered purchasing. To help those who are in the situation you are in routers guides and cutters can be hired for the day subject to there being sufficient routers available. you would need to get in quick if you are to attend the workshop.
Tom

Wongdai
8th January 2009, 08:44 PM
Well, I've also got a B&D HD 14/3 with a 1/2" collet, but I doubt that the guides will fit such an old router.

I will probably pass up on this workshop.

Template Tom
9th January 2009, 09:49 AM
Well, I've also got a B&D HD 14/3 with a 1/2" collet, but I doubt that the guides will fit such an old router.

I will probably pass up on this workshop.

Don't give up too easily. I do not mean for you to go out and hire a router from a hire yard as in most cases they come with parts missing. This has been my experience when I was conducting workshops from my own workshop a number of years ago. Get in touch with me and I will explain how you can get hold of a good router and give this method a try while the workshop is available. They are not run on a regular bases so give Dave a call and book in 9358 0500 and call me for more information 9459 2796.

Tom

glenn k
10th January 2009, 02:51 PM
Hi Tom
I have been through almost all your posts trying to find out a bit more about templates. The website you gave doesn't work is that only temporary? Could you email me your template .doc or .pdf please. I was going to make some boxes from solid blocks of wood. greg130460 at hotmail.com.
Or some info on your DVD would be good.

Template Tom
10th January 2009, 04:14 PM
Hi Tom
I have been through almost all your posts trying to find out a bit more about templates. The website you gave doesn't work is that only temporary? Could you email me your template .doc or .pdf please. I was going to make some boxes from solid blocks of wood. greg130460 at hotmail.com.
Or some info on your DVD would be good.

Glenn it has been some time since I had a web site and that was the old one I have submitted a few blogs though I have not kept up with additional material I am sure if you googled Routing with tom O'Donnell you will come up with more information on what I do
Tom

glenn k
10th January 2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks Tom spent most of the day looking at different sites.
Do you sell your DVDs?
Glenn

Template Tom
10th January 2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks Tom spent most of the day looking at different sites.
Do you sell your DVDs?
Glenn

Glenn

Get intouch with me and I will explain what I have done recently with the DVDs I have produced
tomodon(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au
Tom