PDA

View Full Version : New release - Festool Multifunction Table MFT 3

nt900
27th August 2008, 10:56 PM
It's finally here, the new version of Festool's Multifunction Table. The MFT 3. I have put some details up on this MFT 3 page (http://www.idealtools.com.au/products.php?category_id=4066).

Theberylbloke
28th August 2008, 07:17 PM
Hi Anthony,

So is the MFT Kapex a MFT/3 without the guide rail and angle stop?

Cheers

The Beryl Bloke

nt900
28th August 2008, 07:32 PM
So is the MFT Kapex a MFT/3 without the guide rail and angle stop?

Hi The Beryl Bloke,

You are right it does not come with the guide rail, angle stop and the few other items that mount those to the table, but is a plain table.

It's dimensions differ from the MFT3 though. The MFT3 is 1157 x 773 mm and 900 mm tall. Working surface size is 1102 x 718 mm.

The MFT KAPEX is similar dimensions to the MFT800. I don't have the exact dimensions of it just yet, but is as tall as the MFT800 at around 820 mm.

Theberylbloke
28th August 2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Anthony.

I am curious about the CMS extension as it appears.. er.... well... "interesting"

The front of the CMS appears to be at the back of the MFT.

The way I see this working is that you would start infront of the CMS and rip your timber to width. Go around the back of the CMS , to the front of the MFT, pick up your nicely ripped timber and cut to size of the MFT.

I wonder if this is Festools intention, just a PR photo or a new way of working that is ergonomically better ?

I guess time (and users) will tell

Cheers

Brian

nt900
28th August 2008, 08:44 PM
I noticed that as well. My initial though was to set it up differently to the picture. I thought I might put the CMS/extension table (called "VL" table) at the other end and that way I am always working from one side, then move the guide rail position more central to the MFT giving me a larger area on the waste side of the guide rail.

But, you might be onto something - maybe Festool have a process in mind. I expect to be setting up my MFT/VL table tomorrow and will initially set it up as per the image and try it out. But the beauty of the system is its ability to adapt to users preferences.

Another thing I noticed - where is the ripping fence?

Theberylbloke
28th August 2008, 09:05 PM
Does this CMS extension table take ALL the standard CMS modules and accessories??

My own thoughts would have been to set it up at right angles to the MFT but it is missing a long side to make that work. In such a configuration the MFT would become a large rear table.

Will there be a bare MFT/3 available other than the Kapex one?

Cheers

Brian

nt900
28th August 2008, 09:15 PM
I am informed it will take all current CMS modules, but there is nothing like trying it out to make sure.

Because the legs are along one side of the VL table I guess it will not fit work at right-angles. But a standalone CMS stand can be used of course. There might be a way to connect the standalone CMS and MFT3 together at right angles, and if there is nothing in the line up of accessories to do this, I am sure a relatively simple workshop made solution could be arrived at.

I am not aware of a bare (basic) MFT3, but I expect one to come. In the meantime, I am happy to strip down MFT3's and make basic versions for people. Or make 'full' versions of MFT KAPEX for people (table compelte with guide rail, fence etc).

robbowa
2nd September 2008, 10:48 PM
It's finally here, the new version of Festool's Multifunction Table. The MFT 3. I have put some details up on this MFT 3 page (http://www.idealtools.com.au/products.php?category_id=4066).

Hi Anthony,

Will there be any package deals with the MFT3? eg. with a circ saw or dust collector?

Regards,
Rob.

Frank-Jan
5th November 2008, 12:48 AM
Another thing I noticed - where is the ripping fence?

They might expect you to use the mft's fence, it's the same fence, only with a longer profile, no mitered edges, and the last bit milled down to fit underneath the rail.
You just have to slide the profile off and slide it back on in the upright position.

I just got an mft3 a few weeks ago, and I like the system part, now I have two fences for my CS70 aswell. (I found what I had been missing when I used the kapex extensions on it).

nt900
25th November 2008, 07:04 PM
Your right. The MFT fence does double as the rip fence for the saw module. I had to play with it for a while to get used to this.

Also, the CS70 ripping fence (CS 70 LA) (http://www.idealtools.com.au/festool_ripping-cut_fence_cs_70_la) fits the MFT and VL module holder. It's the same length as teh depth of MFT3 and VL. So this is a nice option if you have one handy.