PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide show.

Stevenp
28th August 2008, 02:05 PM
G'day all, gotta go to Adelaide soon to visit the MIL, so to make it a bit more interesting, I thought I might make it the same weekend as the Adelaide www show. Anyone here gunna be there? I will most likely be there on Saturday.
It would be nice to meet some forumites and put a face to the names.
Cheers Steven.:)

Tankstand
28th August 2008, 06:19 PM
Anyone here gunna be there?

Been waiting for it all year!

Yes, many of us will be there.

Dangermouse
29th August 2008, 11:16 AM
Yep, I'll be there! :2tsup:

maddog 62
4th September 2008, 09:52 PM
yep
been a good boy all year (well almost) :B so mum said i could go :2tsup:

wm460
5th September 2008, 07:33 PM
Yep, I'm going.
:D:D:D

waky53
24th September 2008, 12:28 AM
Will be my first time.

rat52
24th September 2008, 11:07 AM
Saved my poketmoney.I'll be there on crutches if I can't hire a motorised wheelchair:D

Tankstand
5th October 2008, 07:44 PM
Get there early if you want a car park!

I see we've been put in one corner of the (new building?) shop with its own entrance and the home show / renovation show is on at the same time.

Might be noisy!?

The should have offered a discount on entry to both events.

ubeaut
8th October 2008, 11:41 AM
Think they're combined so it shouldn't matted, but don't take that as gospel.

Cheers - Neil :U

Stevenp
8th October 2008, 12:03 PM
How does the Adelaide show compare with the Melbourne event? From what I have heard it is not as big but hope its still worth the trip and a cuppla nights staying with the mother in law.:D:(
Anyway I am heading off tomorrow with LOML and this is the first time in 24 years of wedded bliss that we have been away without kids.
Cheers Steven.

Tankstand
8th October 2008, 05:07 PM
Think they're combined so it shouldn't matted, but don't take that as gospel.

'Scuse the poor quality scan, but this was in our Sunday Mail "Home" liftout.

Neil, I hope you are right!

We're surrounded down in the bottom left hand corner!

I said it was poor quality!:D

Stevenp
8th October 2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for that, looking forward to it :2tsup:

ubeaut
8th October 2008, 11:00 PM
Have been told that your $7 members only Special Entry gives you entry into both shows.

That's pretty good value I reckon.

For those who aren't members the entry fee is $12 for those who want to get the benefit of the cheap entry and also the Special Exhibitor Discounts you'd best register now and follow these links: Click here for Adelaide EXHIBITOR DISCOUNTS (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=79709) or here ADELAIDE T&WWWSHOW - Special entry price (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=79660)

Tankstand
9th October 2008, 06:34 AM
Excellent news Neil! What a bargain.

See you Friday!

Ruddigar
9th October 2008, 11:45 AM
I've got a flight leaving in about two hours....see you all there. :)

Tankstand
11th October 2008, 06:08 PM
Had a Great day Friday,

Caught up with DangerMouse, Christopha, Froggy and Mrs Froggy and Jim and Irene.

No major purchases this year (Already made!)

Witnessed the Saw Stop in action, very impressed!

Shame it was scaled down a bit, no major hardware chains or Flintware, No Makita truck nor a Triton display!:no:

Undecided about returning Sunday.

Dangermouse
11th October 2008, 06:20 PM
Good to catch up TS!

Missed the sawstop - where was that hiding?

Managed to do some damage to my credit limit at the Lie Nielsen stall before we had a chat with Froggie.

Seemed to be missing some of the usual timber suppliers from the east coast - was looking forward to picking up a few pieces for some turning. Scored some camphor and a piece of red morrel, guess that'll have to do...

bill_h
12th October 2008, 09:19 PM
Went Friday with a workmate and went back Saturday on my Pat Malone. Floated from stand to stand looking to spend some money, but left empty-handed.

I'm not a turner or carver, I usually look to improve my tool or small machinery inventory

The two things I was close to buying were a Lie Nielsen block plane and 50 back issues of the Woodsmith mag for $140.

I've been moping around all day trying to work out why I didn't buy anything and the best I can come up with is:

a) I have a reasonable collection of tools and the plane would have been an extreme luxury
b) If the magazines are high on my priorities, maybe I only want to read about it rather than do it.

The final point is that I would rather support our local shops (Macwood, Adelaide CarbaTec, Leda, Woodfast, etc) than try and save a few bucks buying from the interstate companies. That way they will stay around serving us twelve months a year rather than three days a year.

I'm not sure whether I'm being a bit altruistic or just full of it.

Bring on next year!

bill_h
12th October 2008, 09:22 PM
Sorry Neil

Meant to exclude U-Beaut from the interstate companies comment.

You support to the fraternity is obvious

Tankstand
13th October 2008, 06:34 PM
Missed the sawstop - where was that hiding?

In the rather small Gabbett Machinery stand next to Leda

Stevenp
14th October 2008, 08:01 AM
Went saturday, spent a few hours wandering around and bought a set of cole jaws for my chuck from Jim Carroll , a bench grinder rest, a 10mm beading tool and a white grinding wheel. Its a bit tragic that I couldn't find anything else that I needed , I must have too much stuff already. I was a bit disappointed at the size of the show and spoke to a couple of exhibitors who said that this year would most likely be their last year there.
It was a 6 hour drive for Me to get there , then spend a few days with the inlaws :( but still enjoyed the weekend anyway.
I had a chat to the blokes on the scrollsaws and they have convinced Me that I NEED a scrollsaw but funds didn't allow it on this trip , but will certainly be getting one shortly.
A good weekend away without kids for the first time in 24 years of married bliss , so I suppose it was worth it just for that.

Tankstand
15th October 2008, 05:50 PM
I must have too much stuff already

Oi! Wash your mouth out!:D

spoke to a couple of exhibitors who said that this year would most likely be their last year there

That's a bit of a worry, Could be a slippery slope!:oo::(

Stevenp
15th October 2008, 09:11 PM
Oi! Wash your mouth out!:D

Sorry , musta had a bit of a brain numbing episode, wont happen again. :rolleyes:

That's a bit of a worry, Could be a slippery slope!:oo::(

I can only compare to Melbourne show that I went to a few years ago and if Adelaides show gets much smaller I hate to think what might happen. Still enjoyed it though.