PDA

View Full Version : 18volt cordless kit

Christopha
28th August 2008, 06:14 PM
Gidday
I was in my local hardware this arvo (NOT Bunnings) picking up some bits and pieces for the job. While I was there I thought I would check out the 18v cordless stuff as my Dewalt's batteries are starting to die. They had the Makita "kit" there, circular saw, drill with hammer, recipro and torch. The kit was marked $949 but the salescoot (who I know quite well) said he could do it for $850... Now, you city types, how does this compare with similar in the city. I am not all that keen on Makita and I have had a reasonable run with Dewalt but this last one has not been wonderful.. Battery life being the main issue.
What do youse lot reckon?

Hmmm, might do a poll for brand. Please note; NOT handyman stuff, trades quality tools only.

Feel free to recommend other brands if you wish

RufflyRustic
28th August 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm a makita girl for all my power tools, escept for my drill, then it's Millwaukee [sp?] for me.

cheers

Wendy

TEEJAY
28th August 2008, 09:26 PM
I bought a Bosche (sp?) it was pretty good value but is isn't what I prefer. The two I prefer are Panasonic and Festool but if cost didn't count i would buy Hilti - they are awesome.

Big Splinter
28th August 2008, 10:14 PM
I have mainly used Dewalt. Not a bad tool, but have found that they just don't stand up to the abuse that my collegues dish out.

I have had a good play with the Hitachi, and am looking at their latest 18volt drill as one of the two work dewalts has just died... again!

Cheers
Tom

Cliff Rogers
28th August 2008, 10:46 PM
I don't know but I'll toss in my 2 bob anyway.

I like the new Litium Ion batteries that Bosch are starting to use, they suit blokes like me who may not use the battery drill for a month & then give it a real flogging for 2 or 3 days & then stick it back in the cupboard again for another month or more.

I had a play with one of the real exxy Makita Impact drivers that shed builders use, very very nice but almost a $K. :cool:
The bloke who owned it stuck a socket on it & walked over to his car & took one of the wheel nuts off with it, :oo: it has balls.

Gaza
28th August 2008, 11:19 PM
we have had issues with gear boxes in makita lxt 18v impact drivers and drill drivers wearing out.

other than that they go lilke hell.

i did prefer the dewalt 18v but the old batteries where starting to give up the ghost,

you now can get replacement 18v dewalt lithium iron batteries that suit old tools. might be an option for you.

ian
28th August 2008, 11:30 PM
I recon that the most important criteria is compatability and fast charge time

tools from the same makermean you should only need one charger to charge all your batteries

leave a charger in the shed, throw one in the back of the ute/truck/van, put one in the house, then wherever you are you can put a battery on to charge while you have a cuppa

based on that philosphy I now have 3 Metabo cordless tools, the original NiCds (10+ years old) are starting to die, but the new Lithium Ions seem to be great

ian

black1
29th August 2008, 01:52 AM
:2tsup:cant complain about the green stuff (hitachi):2tsup::cool:

Christopha
29th August 2008, 09:34 AM
The same maker thing is a very important point.... at least two of my mates that I work with have DeWalt like me and we swap batteries and tools about to suit. Batteries have to have initials on 'em to keep track of whose is what... Trouble is that the local hardware has the Mak set at a good price and they are not selling DeWalt any more. Don't want Hitachi cordless, no-one much has them and when I had them some years ago they were horrid, We are only talking cordless here, I do own Hitachi power tools.

Gags_17
29th August 2008, 10:02 PM
heres another vote for the bosch! i use a 14,4 drill n impact driver they cop a flogging all day today i drove 100 75mm bugle screws with just one battery for the drill counter sinking and one battery change after 60 or so screws for the impact driver and this was goin into 50mm merbau!also used them during he day to hand a few doors etc. there fantastic tools id back em any day! :2tsup:

Groggy
29th August 2008, 10:06 PM
No Panasonic or Festool? You've only listed handyman :D:p:p

Aww, ok, hitachi then.

Gags_17
29th August 2008, 10:09 PM
we have panasonic,hitachi,makita cordless drills and i like the bosch best! but you can buy bosch blue and thats trade gear.:)

Ramps
30th August 2008, 12:53 AM
Hitachi for me.
Many builders use them or panasonic.
Mine have been brilliant and all battery technology is interchangeable ...NiCads thru to LiIons ... I have one charger that charges all the batteries ... regardless of voltage or technology!

Kyle
30th August 2008, 08:31 PM
Gidday
I was in my local hardware this arvo (NOT Bunnings) picking up some bits and pieces for the job. While I was there I thought I would check out the 18v cordless stuff as my Dewalt's batteries are starting to die. They had the Makita "kit" there, circular saw, drill with hammer, recipro and torch. The kit was marked $949 but the salescoot (who I know quite well) said he could do it for $850... Now, you city types, how does this compare with similar in the city. I am not all that keen on Makita and I have had a reasonable run with Dewalt but this last one has not been wonderful.. Battery life being the main issue.
What do youse lot reckon?

Hmmm, might do a poll for brand. Please note; NOT handyman stuff, trades quality tools only.

Feel free to recommend other brands if you wish

Is it this one?

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod56.htm

If so save your pennys and buy this kit.

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod109.htm

Or if your Dewalts 18 volt, just buy the new Li-ion batteries for it.

As for me I've buit up a bit of a collection over the years.

2 Makita's, a 9.6 volt and a 12 volt. (good drills but rubbish batteries)

15.6 volt Panasonic, now 8 years old and the original batteries have just died. As for the drill, 2 switches, 3 chucks and a motor.

24 volt blue Bosch, heaps of grunt, but its heavy and the batteries are so so.

12 volt Ryobi impact driver. Had to buy this at Bunnings because I had a gift voucher. Bought this because it has 2ah Panasonic batteries and the 12v Makita impact driver sold at Bunnings has the 'grey top' batteries (cheap cells).

sol381
1st September 2008, 07:10 AM
i have dewalt mainly because i have 4 batteries and when i need another tool i just buy the bare tool and away i go. most chippies and plumbers use them. the 18v drill and recipro are 2 of the best cordless tools going around.

as for most brands you can get them on ebay pretty cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MAKITA-LXT406-18V-LXT-Lithium-Ion-4-Pc-Tool-Combo-Kit_W0QQitemZ160277701548QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-DEWALT-DC4PAKA-4-Four-Tool-Combo-Kit-18v-XRP-HD_W0QQitemZ160275278954QQihZ006QQcategoryZ28057QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

73 Cuda
1st September 2008, 06:58 PM
I have mainly used Dewalt. Not a bad tool, but have found that they just don't stand up to the abuse that my collegues dish out.

I have had a good play with the Hitachi, and am looking at their latest 18volt drill as one of the two work dewalts has just died... again!

Cheers
Tom
Yes my 18 vt Dewalt gave up recently,the chuck got the wobbles, I didn't seem to be able to fix it. now have a hunky Metabo, with the lithium battery,lasts well

Christopha
3rd September 2008, 01:50 PM
Hmmm....
Thanks for the suggestions. I have decided that I will stick with the DeWalt. I will buy a kit though as it better economy than buying individual tools. As the blokes I work with on occasion have DeWalt as well it makes life easier at times.

I have seriously considered the Makita but I have been swayed by the Dewalt.

Thanks for the suggestion of Festo, I have used a Festo drill and felt it was just dear handyman tool.
Hitachi? I had Hitachi 2 cordless and they were gutless, Ryobi are cheap and tacky in my experience.
I had a Metabo cordless, 2 switches later I tossed it when it needed another, exactly the same experience with powered Metabo and their switches are bloody expensive!

Anyway, many thanks all.

Cliff Rogers
3rd September 2008, 06:36 PM
One Dewalt review coming up. :2tsup: