PDA

View Full Version : woodturning courses..

gratay
28th August 2008, 07:57 PM
I'm wanting to find out who runs woodturning tuition in Melbourne....
Private or class based.....
who's out there and who's considered to be the 'man' to go to.

cheers Grant

DJ’s Timber
28th August 2008, 08:30 PM
(http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=84) :whistling2:

woodwork wally
28th August 2008, 10:41 PM
(http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=84) :whistling2:

YEP AS ABOVE WW.WALLY :2tsup::D:):happyb:

quercus
28th August 2008, 10:54 PM
I went to a 4 hour course that Len Smith at the Woodsmith runs. It was pretty good. I hadn't turned for about 20years, so it was a good refresher. He is in Croydon, and can be found on the Web at
http://www.thewoodsmith.com.au/thewoodsmith/
Most of the course was demonstration, with a bit of hands on. That was my only complaint, an hour more hands on the tools would have been better, otherwise you really need to have a lathe set up at home ready to rush back to and practice on before you forget.

tea lady
29th August 2008, 12:05 AM
I have been going to Knox Community Woodworkers, in Glenfern road Fertree gully. They have lots of interest groups and tools, and about 8 lathes. Turning group is on Monday Morning and Tuesday night. Just taught buy volenteers, but there is lots of expertise wandering about the place (A bit like here.) and the workshop is open for members to use aproximately 50 hours per week, and you just pay an anual membership.:2tsup:

Gra
29th August 2008, 09:09 AM
Templestowe Woodworkers (Located opposite the fire station) run a really good course. I did it and learnt a lot, I know of at least one other member here who has done the same course. highly recommended.

I also agree with DJ, is a good teacher (I think I owe him some tea, for all the free lessons he has given at the turnfests:D)

Where are you located, might help to find you a close course.

hughie
29th August 2008, 11:08 AM
Theres a few free publications around that about learning wood turning PM me and I will send what I have got in word docs etc.

Ashes
29th August 2008, 05:29 PM
Vic Wood also does a 2 day course which he tailors depending on your skill level. I haven't done it but I've heard lots of good things about it.

I'm finding the advice I'm receiving from my local woodturning club to be fantastic and the guys are more than willing to spend time teaching you if you are prepared to listen and learn. I'm meeting lots of great guys this way and you get to see some of the great work being done and something to aspire to. Just need to find more time:(

tea lady
29th August 2008, 06:10 PM
Not knowing how much woodturning you have done Grant, but a few guys from the club have raced off to have lessons a bit too soon I think. I bit a of mucking around first is necessary so that when you go to have lessons things fall into place. If you go to lessons too fresh so much info comes at you that you can't take it in.:doh:

Chesand
29th August 2008, 07:00 PM
Council of Adult Education used to run night courses - presume they still do. Also some TAFE colleges have night courses

gratay
29th August 2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys..to add further

Its going to be a gift for my partners father who has just bought himself the little Jet lathe. He's a member of the waverley woodwork club in melbourne and i know they have a few woodturners get togethers...
but I thought as a treat for his 60th it would be nice to get him some quality lessons as he is new to turning and loves it ..he has good woodworking skills in other areas but just new to woodturning..
I'm sure he wouldn't mind travelling to get lessons or a course from someone good.

Does do 1 on 1 lessons ? or is it group stuff..
and keep the recommendations coming if they are out there..

Thanks Grant.

Toasty
29th August 2008, 09:37 PM
G'day Grant,

Like all things woodturning (working) it will depend on budget.

Are you thinking $50, then a group class or maybe CIT is what will be best.

Are you thinking $500, then some one-on-one for a day or two is what will may be available.

DJ’s Timber
29th August 2008, 09:38 PM
Does do 1 on 1 lessons ?

Yes :yes:

jefferson
29th August 2008, 10:18 PM
I'd certainly recommend for some lessons. He's patient, particularly for those gun-shy and adversely affected by dig-ins with the skew chisel. Best, he doesn't grab hold on the chisel like some do. He does like his tea though!!

I'd be suggesting that you get lessons sooner rather than later. Bad habits can be hard to get out of.

I'd also suggest that lessons with be broken down a little. I did sharpening, spindles, bowls and lidded boxes in two days and it probably was a bit much. Information over-load.

And don't ask to turn some 100 year redgum old spindles. It's quite confronting. I was going to send him some replicas ASAP after my visit but that was a month ago....

I pick up my 100mm KD redgum squares for table legs late next week and..... will be sending down to for turning.

Jeff