PDA

View Full Version : Treated Pine Fence/Screen

Fozzy
15th March 2004, 11:14 AM
Hi All,

I'm in the process of building a simple garden fence/screen using 100mm treated pine poles and attaching vertical palings (maybe using treated pine decking) to rails. I was intending to use 75x50 unseasoned treated pine rails attached with coach bolts without cutting any housing into the poles. However someone else has suggested using seasoned 75x45 treated pine and fixing that with batten screws?

I wanted to know firstly if the unseasoned 75x50 will be ok for the rails (I have read the post below regarding seasoned vs unseasoned and it seems that unseasoned rails would be ok). And secondly whether the batten screws will be strong enough without cutting a housing into the poles. The palings will be about 1500mm attached to 3 rails and the pole spacings are 2500mm.

seriph1
25th March 2004, 11:01 PM
FWIW I feel housing is the way to go.... even shallow but accurate rebating adds real strength

been a long time since I did a fence, but your measurements sound good..... unseasoned timber for this application would be fine I feel.

If batten screws are the ones used to fix corrugated sheets then they are certainly strong - of course, their depth into the material will be a big factor....I guess I would also countersink and plug them under the surface of the material for finish and added weatherproofing

success!

Fozzy
26th March 2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the reply Steve.

I decided to use the unseasoned 75x50 with a one inch rebate cut into the poles. I found that it was bit of a pain to cut straight and accurate rebates into round poles, but overall I am happy with the results.

seriph1
26th March 2004, 09:45 AM
cool...now don't be shy

pics pics pics

:)

Fozzy
26th March 2004, 09:50 AM
Ok, I've only got the rails on at this stage, so once the palings are on I'll grab a photo.

Thanks again.