PDA

View Full Version : New Handle for my Ci1

dai sensei
29th August 2008, 07:46 PM
Finally got round to finishing the handle for my new Ci1 roughing gauge based on a shape to match my other Hamlet chisels. Made from Rose Sheoak and finished with Shellawax. I used a bit of gal pipe for the collar and threaded a hole for the locking grub screw. The fit is so tight for the tool however, there is really not need for the grub screw.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=81940&stc=1&d=1219999611

I hollowed the end, and threaded a cap, to store my spare cutting bits. I used my metal tap & die set, but the biggest was a 3/4". The bits fit, but they turn and jam in the cavity :doh:, so I might just use the cavity for lead as I think it is a bit light at the end.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=81941&stc=1&d=1219999611

Cheers

DJ’s Timber
29th August 2008, 07:50 PM
Looks great Neil :2tsup:

funkychicken
29th August 2008, 08:07 PM

I second that:2tsup:

Toasty
29th August 2008, 09:33 PM
That is a nice looking handle, I wish I had the patience (ability).

jefferson
29th August 2008, 10:09 PM
Neil

I find the original handle to be a little short and light weight. I'm using the tool to hollow lidded boes and wish it was a little longer - and like you - a little heavier. The spare Ci1 is doing the rounds, so will be interested in what the others think.

Jeff

dai sensei
29th August 2008, 10:29 PM
Neil

I find the original handle to be a little short and light weight. I'm using the tool to hollow lidded boes and wish it was a little longer - and like you - a little heavier. The spare Ci1 is doing the rounds, so will be interested in what the others think.

Jeff

The timber on this one is 430mm long. It was supposed to be 500, but the white ants had eaten more then I thought in the blank. I would have prefered 600, but none of my blanks were long enough. Even this one was from 2 pieces, I was amazed how well the grain matched.

The handle/timber is good and heavy, but with the hollowing and the thinner end, it is out of balance and why I am considering the lead.

I use it for roughing everything these days. Using it for boxes sounds ideal.

Cliff Rogers
29th August 2008, 10:35 PM
:2tsup:

Harry72
30th August 2008, 03:37 AM
What he said :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
30th August 2008, 01:01 PM
Neil...

What the others said...:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers,
Ed :D

hughie
30th August 2008, 01:07 PM
me too, :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Grumpy John
30th August 2008, 02:14 PM
Neil
Beautiful looking handle. Do you find that you have to grip really firmly to get the "push" for roughing? The original handle, although not very attractive, had the shoulder to push up against and therefore you didn't have to choke it to death.

dai sensei
30th August 2008, 06:08 PM
Neil
Beautiful looking handle. Do you find that you have to grip really firmly to get the "push" for roughing? The original handle, although not very attractive, had the shoulder to push up against and therefore you didn't have to choke it to death.

Biggest problem I have with the tool is pushing too hard as it cuts so easily. Every now and then I hit a worm hole or large crack and I plunge too far too fast - result, blank stops and rips out of my Vicmark jaws, or worse still, it once ripped the pin jaws off by shearing the bolts :oo:

woodwork wally
30th August 2008, 06:30 PM

Ditto from me too Neil and yes a few melted Wheel weights will help balance it out:D:D Regards Wally

Mrs Woodpecker
30th August 2008, 08:33 PM
Me too !! :2tsup::2tsup: