PDA

View Full Version : pizza oven

Wardy
30th August 2008, 10:29 AM
hi all
thought i'd share my new appliance with you.looking forward to this new cooking experience.
cheers

pizza oven 2.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=81976&stc=1&d=1220052547)

Big Shed
30th August 2008, 10:32 AM
That looks very good, did you make the oven yourself?

Nothing beats a wood fired pizza. Try some focaccia as well.

Wardy
30th August 2008, 10:38 AM
That looks very good, did you make the oven yourself?

Nothing beats a wood fired pizza. Try some focaccia as well.

yes, i did a weekend workshop and then decided to build the oven.it is made from refactory cement,common solid bricks, ceramic blanket for insulation and a cement render finish. cheers

Big Shed
30th August 2008, 10:44 AM
Very impressive:2tsup:

I_wanna_Shed
30th August 2008, 10:59 AM
yes, i did a weekend workshop and then decided to build the oven.it is made from refactory cement,common solid bricks, ceramic blanket for insulation and a cement render finish. cheers

Hi Wardy,

Looks great! Was this a weekend workshop in pizza ovens??? Whereabouts was it? A mate recently bought a ready-made oven, and he cooks all sorts of stuff in it - the results are fantastic, so one is on my list, for some day.

Cheers,
Nathan.

prozac
30th August 2008, 02:35 PM
That's a very professional looking pizza oven. How long did it take to build?

Try some focaccia as well. We'll have none of that language here Big Shed.

Wardy
30th August 2008, 05:51 PM
[quote=prozac;797149]That's a very professional looking pizza oven. How long did it take to build?

Prozac its taken about 4 weekends with rain interruptions and playing golf.
cheers

Wardy
30th August 2008, 05:58 PM
Hi Wardy,

Looks great! Was this a weekend workshop in pizza ovens??? Whereabouts was it? A mate recently bought a ready-made oven, and he cooks all sorts of stuff in it - the results are fantastic, so one is on my list, for some day.

Cheers,
Nathan.

yes it was a weekend workshop this is website http://www.woodfiredovenworkshops.com/

cheers

yaryetnom
31st August 2008, 08:20 AM
Hello Wardy,

Well done, thats a fine looking oven.

A couple of questions if I may.

Do you have a door for it for when your baking?
Is the chimmney in the centre of the dome & do you loose much heat through it?

A picture of mine is in the Sourdough thread. Its the best thing I ever built although I have never got round to rendering/finishing the dome. Can't decide how to finish it, I was going to insulate it with a vermiculite & cement powder slurry then render it.

This was to help it hold the heat but I'm not sure it needs it now. Oh well another gunado. :B

We have a forum get together here in a couple of weeks so it will get a good workout that day.

Regards,
Ray

fenderbelly
31st August 2008, 10:16 AM
Looking good mate, i'm sure you will get plenty of use out of it.

Cheers Fred

Rattrap
31st August 2008, 10:47 AM
Theres going to be a workshop in Launceston in November, woot!

Claw Hama
31st August 2008, 11:16 AM
Very Nywce!!

Wardy
1st September 2008, 08:04 AM
Hello Wardy,

Well done, thats a fine looking oven.

A couple of questions if I may.

Do you have a door for it for when your baking?
Is the chimmney in the centre of the dome & do you loose much heat through it?

A picture of mine is in the Sourdough thread. Its the best thing I ever built although I have never got round to rendering/finishing the dome. Can't decide how to finish it, I was going to insulate it with a vermiculite & cement powder slurry then render it.

This was to help it hold the heat but I'm not sure it needs it now. Oh well another gunado. :B

We have a forum get together here in a couple of weeks so it will get a good workout that day.

Regards,
Ray

Hi Ray
answer to your quewstion is yes i do have a door which is made out of 3mm plate steel. in regards to the chimney it is at the front of the oven but it has a damper on top so i can control the heat.A tip from the pizza workshop that i attended, when mixing your cement with the vermiculite for your insulation,just have enough cement so it just holds together.its the air gaps in the mix that creates the insulation properties. bon apetit
cheers:)

yaryetnom
1st September 2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the tip on the vermiculite.

Enjoy your oven.

Ray

AC-Jacko
21st September 2008, 11:47 PM
Looks good Wardy. I am new to the fourms and I am looking at Pizza Ovens to build hence joining the fourms ;)
My query is I have a paved area of which I intend to build the oven on so will be the paved area be strong enough or will I have to remove them and build a slab?. The paved area is done properly with 16T of road base under the whole area but unsure if the pavers themselves are strong enough.

cheers Jacko

Wardy
22nd September 2008, 07:58 PM
Looks good Wardy. I am new to the fourms and I am looking at Pizza Ovens to build hence joining the fourms ;)
My query is I have a paved area of which I intend to build the oven on so will be the paved area be strong enough or will I have to remove them and build a slab?. The paved area is done properly with 16T of road base under the whole area but unsure if the pavers themselves are strong enough.

cheers Jacko

Hi Jacko
Personally i would remove the pavers of the area intended to build the oven and lay a 150mm slab with F62 mesh.You might even be able to get away with 100mm slab depending on the thickness of your road base.
Cheers:)

DUKMAN
27th May 2010, 10:16 PM
Great looking oven.

just wondering if you used refractory pavers for the floor.

Thanks