PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania---USA

Gusbub
31st August 2008, 03:40 PM
Greetings, all.
I've been a lurker here---mostly @ the box making forum---for a couple of years and just now finally decided to up and join officially.
I am a novice woodworker who started out as a DIY'er when my wife and I bought our first home 3 years ago. Being the ambitious sort, I couldn't stop at just simple household projects and began to get more involved in the craft---thanks in large part to the outstanding work I see here.
My ambition has carried me to dabbling in box making and rudimentary furniture.
I enjoy woodworking so much that I left my previous (fairly well-paying, but mind-numbingly boring) job to take on an apprenticeship with a custom cabinet maker.
All the work is done by hand. It's a fair amount to learn, but I couldn't be happier.
I find more contentment and peace of mind in the shop than just about anywhere and feel lucky to have a job that I actually enjoy.
I mention all of this as a roundabout way of saying 'Thank You' to everyone who contributes here for the inspiration and the help in keeping the creative fire burning.
It has truly led me down a greater path.

---Tom

Colin Howkins
31st August 2008, 04:08 PM
Well, Gusbub, I hope things are good in Pittsburg. Things are great here in Brisbane Australia

In a similar state to yourself. I am going through the throes of selling my business so I can spend more time in the shed doing the things I like to do. At 62 I'm probably a bit old to take on an apprenticeship, but I started out with woodwork a little like you.

I found out early on you make somthing really really good for dearly beloved, and that then becomes the entree for you to buy bigger and better equipment I [hope she does not read this thread as it's been working well for 35 odd years]

I have, over the years given her some remarkable woodworking tools etc for birthdays, Christmas, Anniversaries etc, and as she has no use for them I get to borrow them.

I came unstuck with this when we were out one night and someone commented about her handbag or shoes to which she replied 'Oh they are not mine they're Colin's I just borrowed them for the night":2tsup:

Look forward to seeing more of you on the Forum

Ad de Crom
31st August 2008, 07:19 PM
Tom, very welcome, you're a lucky guy with finding the job you like.
Yes, that's very important. If I read it well, all is handmade cabinets, even the joints?
I did the same for 35 years ago, had in that time a magnificient place for doing that.
Moved over in the 80th to Bergen op Zoom, and after my retirement in 2001, I'm doing only woodturning just for my own fun, and share this wonderful hobby also with a couple of American corresponding friends.
Have fun.

Ad :)

MICKYG
31st August 2008, 07:27 PM
Hi Tom, Welcome to the forums. This a great place to look and learn or ask a question or two. I notice you are in PA. They make great Trucks there. Enjoy you new found hobby.

Regards Mike:2tsup::2tsup:

Gusbub
1st September 2008, 02:28 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the kind welcome.

Colin: I've also learned that keeping the wife happy keeps the tool budget flexible. At least half of my projects are for her use.

Ad: Yes, even the joinery is done by hand---nothing is automated. All drawers are dovetailed, raised frame and panel doors, etc....
That really attracted me to the job for the same reason I enjoy box making: I love experimenting with different types of joinery.

Mike: I believe you're referring to Mack trucks? They're made in the north-central part of the state---a town called York. Very nice trucks, indeed.

Thanks, again, fellas.