PDA

View Full Version : Perpetual Motion Machine ??

woodbutcher8
31st August 2008, 04:42 PM
Howdy.. Has anyone heard of these Perpetual Motion Machine? Anyone ever built one? Do they really work? Greatful for any information...
http://www.leversandgears.com/14100

funkychicken
31st August 2008, 05:33 PM
:roll:

Nope they sure don't work

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st August 2008, 05:58 PM
To be more precise... they don't work as the designer planned. ie. they are not "perpetual motion machines."

However, they do work in the sense that if you wind the crank the hammers all move as expected and, for five minutes, it's interesting. :U

keju
31st August 2008, 09:28 PM
Well...... I don't know about that...... I remember visiting a shop in a Mall in the US ones..... they had what at first glance looked like big sculptor like clocks on the wall... at closer inspection they were perpetual motion machines...... no they did not have batteries! lol They kept going the whole time I was there, nobody fiddled with them.

These were really interesting to watch since a lot of different things were happening, not just one boring motion.

Juvy

Buzza
31st August 2008, 09:52 PM
Besslers Wheel. Seek that one out in a Google search. This is always a fascinating subject, and if you also go looking for them, you will find a few very good versions of Perpetual Motion on U-Tube. I saw an especially good one in someones yard, made from push-bike wheels.

I finally managed to buy one for two dollars in one of those well known cheap-jack shops. Just add a nine volt battery and away it goes, swinging its coloured balls back and forth. Of course the real thing has no such power input and rotates the full circle. :rolleyes:

joe greiner
1st September 2008, 12:11 AM
Friction and energy dissipation will always bring such contraptions to their knees. They only appear to work because friction is low, or there's a hidden source of energy. For example, the bird bobbing into, and out of, a glass of water, absorbs or dissipates humidity from/to the air; and the "radiometer" (spinning thing with paddles in a glass globe) gains energy from sunlight, etc.

At one time, the US patent office required working models only for perpetual motion machines - none ever submitted AFAICT. Didn't stop issuance of some impossible patents, though. Enter [6025810] at http://www.google.com/patents for a device for communicating at faster-than-light speed. Believe at your own risk.

Joe

Pheonix
1st September 2008, 09:38 AM
I've got a three year old grand daughter that will play them off a break!:U

woodbutcher8
1st September 2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks of all the help !!