PDA

View Full Version : Lathes: link belts

Groggy
31st August 2008, 06:07 PM
I replaced the belt in my drill press, jointer etc with link belts and they have made a good improvement to vibration levels.

Has anyone used them in a lathe? I have suggested to another forumite that he look into link belts as he is about to replace the V belts so thought it best to make sure there are no issues with this.

Pat
31st August 2008, 06:35 PM
Grog having done the DP and Tablesaw with Link belt, I thought to change my lathe, but relised that it was a flat belt. Bugger!

Ashes
31st August 2008, 06:44 PM
Hi...forumite here:D

Had a look at my belts and they are marked as

the long belt... A-66 Apex A1710
and the short belt... A-35 Apex A920

not sure if this helps. These are definately V belts. Not sure how the numbering system works...off to google!!!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st August 2008, 07:42 PM
I wonder how link-belts would go in replacing the half-a-cow I'm using on my old treadle lathe? :think:

Jim Carroll
31st August 2008, 08:51 PM
If you have V belts on any machine an upgrade to links belts is the best thing since sliced bread.

No problems at all. Eliminates memory in the v belts as they stiffen up when sitting in the one position and it is like the belt is going over bumps.

The links belts dont get this problem.

woodwork wally
31st August 2008, 09:59 PM
Hi...forumite here:D

Had a look at my belts and they are marked as

the long belt... A-66 Apex A1710
and the short belt... A-35 Apex A920

not sure if this helps. These are definately V belts. Not sure how the numbering system works...off to google!!!

Hi there smee here The "a" is the section on the belt and all "a' belts have the same section ie. If you cut through the belt and look at the end all "a" belts are the same so too "b" section belts are the same as each other but are much heavier in section to "a" section . The number is the length of the belt measured on the inside circumferanceThe first number isA[section] 66 inches Apex[ made it] and A[section] 1710 is metric . likewise for the shortee. Segmenteds do not like the loads required in a lathe .:no:Hope that declouds it somewhat. Total rubber in Laverton north are good suppliers in our area :2tsup: regards WW.Wally

Woodlee
31st August 2008, 10:42 PM
Groggy ,
Ireplaced the vee belt on my Myford metal lathe with a link belt it's working extremely well .Ive been running it for over a year and needed only one adjustment so far.
Its oil resistant ,mine slips occasionally ,it does get oily ,I just wipe it with some paint thinner to remove the oil.
I got it from Blackwoods ,and it's called powertwist (http://www.motionind.com.au/DisplayProductDetails.aspx?part_no=09857911) .
Unlike the Brammer belt with the metals studs , you can just about remove and replace the links with out any tools .its not stiff and hard like new Brammer belt and its alot cheaper
I plan to get some more of this stuff ,to replace the belts on my woodie lathe and drill press.

Kev.

hughie
31st August 2008, 10:52 PM
Have been running a link belt on my lathe for nearly two years. The only thing I have found is that it stretched some, so I took a couple of links out and all is fine. Nothing wrong with link belts, industry has been using them for years.

China
31st August 2008, 10:57 PM
Best thing about link belts is I don't have to spend half an hour dismantling the lathe to replace it

RETIRED
1st September 2008, 08:48 AM
I have to admit that I didn't have a lot of luck with link belts.

They were the older type of metal stud belts but always broke within a month.

It must be mentioned that my lathes work under a fair bit of load too.

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2008, 09:49 AM
Another tip worth noting is that regular V belts are far less noisey (vibration) if they aren't done up too tight.

Try backing the tension off a tad, not to the point of slipping, you may be surprised.

Harry72
1st September 2008, 11:25 AM
Lathes have belts:doh:

Ashes
1st September 2008, 02:47 PM
Ordered some of the powertwist belts today so might be able to give them a run next weekend. Not cheap...Still got a bit of work to do to finish cleaning up the VL250 and some more bearing to replace but so far it is scrubbing up real well. Hope I can figure out how to put it back together:doh:

Groggy
1st September 2008, 10:22 PM
Ashes, in January 1983 I had a 308 completely apart in the shed - and I do mean completely. At 3:00am I got a phone call to go to work and fight bushfires. The next three weeks were spent in Mildura and around the Murray area. Then, on the way home we were redirected to Bright to fight some more fires for another week. When I finally got home I looked at the car and - hardly recognised a part on the floor :o.

Don't answer the phone. :no:

Ashes
1st September 2008, 10:55 PM
Not as many parts but would be nice to get more than an hour at a time to work on it. Damn paid work keeps getting in the way:~

Frank Drew
4th September 2008, 04:45 AM
Best thing about link belts is I don't have to spend half an hour dismantling the lathe to replace it

That's why I like them, too; it's a royal pain to have to pull the spindle just to replace a v-belt.

madcraft
5th September 2008, 08:33 PM
If you have V belts on any machine an upgrade to links belts is the best thing since sliced bread.

No problems at all. Eliminates memory in the v belts as they stiffen up when sitting in the one position and it is like the belt is going over bumps.

The links belts dont get this problem.

Hi Jim

Do you stock Link Belts or can get them ?

Cheers
Glenn

Jim Carroll
5th September 2008, 09:35 PM
No sorry I dont stock them

In Geelong We have a company that sells bearings belts etc and they stock them, Look for some one in your area that stocks these types of items and they should be able to help you

Ashes
6th September 2008, 10:15 AM
Blackwoods can get them in for you.

I've just put my lathe back together and put these belts on and they seem fine. My lathe is running smoother but I did also give it a real good clean and replace bearings.

bowl-basher
6th September 2008, 01:05 PM
:compress:That's a mouthfull Ashes one could say that
' WORK IS THE CURSE OF THE TURNING MAN"
Bowl Basher :roflmao2:

Harry72
6th September 2008, 09:19 PM
Blackwoods can get them in for you.

I've just put my lathe back together and put these belts on and they seem fine. My lathe is running smoother but I did also give it a real good clean and replace bearings.

These perhaps (http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBANKProduct.aspx?SG=2000165&S=10&G=2003362&P=2024178):wink: