PDA

View Full Version : squatters chairs

bobglen
30th October 1999, 09:10 PM
I'M TRYING TO FIND THE HISTORY OF THESE CHAIRS . COULD SOME ONE HELP OR STEER ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I KNOW THEY EVOLVED OVER THE YEARS IN THE RURAL AREAS OF AUSTRALIA IN THE EARLY DAYS?

RETIRED
30th October 1999, 09:39 PM
Bob, capitals are considered shouting.

I have done a search on the chairs but came up with nothing. Sorry.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Grand Poobah
31st October 1999, 12:48 AM
SHUT UP

You are making this Grand Poobah DEAF AND BLOODY ANGRY!!!!!

bobglen
31st October 1999, 08:22 PM
I'm sorry if I offended anyone ' but thank you Ian for letting me know.I didn't know as I'm new to this so my deepest appologies
As far as yhe grand poobah is concerned go stick your head in the thunder box and pull the chain

------------------
bowie

RETIRED
31st October 1999, 08:54 PM
Or perhaps a sh..head????

PS no probs Bob, if you aint told you dunno http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif
------------------
Ian () Robertson

[This message has been edited by (edited 31 October 1999).]

Tom O Donnell
10th November 1999, 12:42 AM
I registered on this bulletin to try and improve my knowledge and skills and not to observe the slanging that is going on. If you.do not have something concrete to offer simply keep quiet.
Tom

------------------
TomnJarrah

hansl
10th November 1999, 07:30 AM
Well done Tom.We have to have some decorum!!

Great Poo Bear
10th November 1999, 03:02 PM
Tom you is a big fibber fibber you regaster so you can tell evryone bowt your corses wif rowters and jigins an over stuff an thats ok cos this is a Ozie buleting bored and we dont mind stuff like that and we wont grumbel if you hav a bit of fun so don grumbel if overs have a bit ov fun to cos thats not fun.

Same goze for you to hansl if you wont sum decorum go to th painterz an decorumator buleting bored if you kan find won.

I sayed all ov this wif lots of love in my hart for you bofe and send you big Poo Bear huggies an kissies cos thats the kinda bear I is.

From the 10 acker wood this is the Poo Bear signing off. (big bear huggies an kissies to all)

Poo (the good Poo Bear not th bad Poo Bar)

Grand Poobah
10th November 1999, 08:29 PM
Poo (the good Poo, Huh)

You're a BIG GIRLS BLOUSE!!!

YES!! I'M SHOUTING!!! SO WHAT!!!!

There are no good Poo's they all STINK!!

Well almost all. Mine doesn't, but then I am The Grand Poobah

RETIRED
10th November 1999, 10:46 PM
Tom.

You say "I registered on this bulletin to try and improve my knowledge and skills and not to observe the slanging that is going on. If you.do not have something concrete to offer simply keep quiet.", however of 11 posts, 9 have been self promotion of you, 1 post has been of interest on the selection of a router and 1 has been a bitch.

This BB has no problems with any one telling the world about courses or how good one is, but the correct place for 9 of these postings was in the ANNOUNCEMENTS section not elsewhere on the BB.

I considered deleting the others that were not in announcements with an e-mail to you explaining why but you have chosen to vent your spleen here and so shall I.

I agree that sometimes things might seem to be "slanging" at each other to an outsider or some one who has just entered the BB but rest assured there is no malice meant or intended.

If you ask a serious question you will get an assortment of answers from some very knowledgeable people on this BB (if you had read all the posts, you would realise this) and as is the Australian way you may get a smart alec answer or 2 because that is the way our humour is.

I would like to think that most people have the sense to sort the good from the "slanging" as you put it and take it in the manner in which it is given.

If you can't handle this, then, to use another good Aussie expression. BUGGER OFF.

"The other admin. "el presidente"

[This message has been edited by (edited 10 November 1999).]

Jamin
11th November 1999, 04:07 PM
Well you certainly couldn't say this bulletin board is not entertaining. I have found this BB to be very helpful, and not in the least offensive (my personal opinion). There are clearly some very knowledgeable contributors (and some not-so knowledgeable, but entertaining contributors). The key word here is contribution, good or bad.

cheers Jamin

Note for Tom, sometimes it is best to listen a while before you decide add comment. This way you can avoid potentially embarrassing situations, and understand who you are talking to.

lushy
12th November 1999, 08:38 AM
Something concrete sound italian or Greek to me I thinks it meens shoes?????
When you loose your sense of humour it is time to give up.

Rod Smith
12th November 1999, 02:10 PM
Well I got a laugh anyway.

Happy roo, sorry routing.

------------------

bobglen
13th November 1999, 08:36 PM
Hi you cretins seeing nobody knows what im talking about at least I 've had a good laugh. So keep up the laughter and good fun,but i'd still like some info????

------------------
bowie

RETIRED
13th November 1999, 10:40 PM
From one of the cretins http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Bob.

I know what you are talking about but there is not much info about, however you could try this site (I have included their email as well)and see if they can help you.

Clickhere: www.gumnutfurniture.com.au/pages/indulge.htm (http://www.gumnutfurniture.com.au/pages/indulge.htm)
[email protected]

Email is:

[email protected]

Hope this helps

------------------
Ian () Robertson

[This message has been edited by (edited 13 November 1999).]

barrysumpter
8th January 2000, 02:31 PM
Well said Tom.

Thanks for pulling this thread out of the scrap pile. I stubmled on your reply when searching for the reply hyperlink.

What a bunch of wasted space.

Could someone please start another forum

Forum Number: 9999
Forum Name: Just a space for Exhibitionistic Bull ****ters to waist time and bandwidth.

Just email each other directly.

I suggested the Triton User Forum because woodworking australia is owned (I assumed proudly) and operated by australians as is Triton (I'm absolutly positive proudly).

I'm starting to reget it.

You need to choose. Professional woodworking Bulletin Board. Or a play area for the boys.

------------------

Oops, my mistake. I just went back a read 's response to Tom. Not cool at all.

Tom, these people only represent themselves, and not me, other professionally minded people, or Australians in general. I'm American and have been living here for 12 years and still don't (and probably never will) appreciate the humor of telling someone to bugger off (meaning **** off).

I've just spent a few hours with and he was professional and nice. And I look forward to speaking and perhaps working with him in the future. But I don't have to agree with the direction the bulletin board is heading. So, to do somthing about it, I'm writting this long winded response.
Which obviously negates my complaint ( not bitching) regarding keeping replys concise and professional.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 08 January 2000).]

BrettC
7th May 2006, 09:56 PM
I'm interested if anyone has any further information on the 'squatters chairs' referred to on this thread - the link on one post didn't work for me.
Anyone know any more?

Edit:
Just got the link to work: http://www.gumnutfurniture.com.au/products/ProductDescription.asp?ProductId=196

Anyone know any history or anything else about this style of chair?

HJ0
8th May 2006, 12:14 AM
Can't find much

http://www.afe.com.au/Furniture/Squatters.html

HJ0

scooter
8th May 2006, 10:23 PM
Check this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=20865) one out.

Cheers............Sean

bsrlee
8th May 2006, 10:57 PM
The Squatter's chair is also related to a piece of Chinese furniture called a 'Drunken Lord's Chair', which has been around since the 1600's IIRC. Same formula - laid-back chair with slung seat/back & fold out leg rests - just a different accent. It is impossible now to know if the 'Squatter's chair' was an independant invention or was an idea brought out by some old 'China Hand' or 'India Hand' (where it was a 'Planter's Chair').

fletty
9th May 2006, 09:06 PM
Bobglen,
The squatters chair's history is a bit of a mystery (to me!) but I've looked at a couple of originals and they are nothing like the ones sold in shops at the moment. Their major design feature, and biggest weakness, is that the back appears to have been made from old bullock yokes and hence the strange shape. The weakness is because the yoke shape of the back results in some cross grain which weakens and can break with a bit of abuse. The leg "paddles" which fold back along the sides when not in use, are swung forward so that the sitter can, rather indelicately, drape a leg over each of them and they are surprisingly comfortable. I have seen both framed and upholstered versions as well as canvas slings. I believe there is a shop "on Military Road near Cremorne" which alledgedly has faithful replicas ... but I haven't been there yet. Making one is on my to-do list but .....
Fletty

jmk89
9th May 2006, 09:09 PM
Hey Fletty

I'm just down the road in Neutral Bay. Name and address of shop and I will take some photos for all to see.

Jeremy

fletty
9th May 2006, 09:30 PM
sorry Jeremy, that's all I've got ...
"a shop on Military Road near Cremorne"
I'll do a yellow pages search and see if I can get any more clues,
Fletty

jmk89
9th May 2006, 09:33 PM
sorry Jeremy, that's all I've got ...
"a shop on Military Road near Cremorne"
I'll do a yellow pages search and see if I can get any more clues,
Fletty

No wucks,

I am not going away in the near future (but then some guys in Beaconsfield said the same on Anzac Day morning....)

vinnie
10th May 2006, 09:20 PM
bobglen
I don't know much about the history of these chairs except that i gave my daughter a couple that i know were over 60 yrs old. There were 2 models ,a ladies version and a gents. the leg rests on the gents also formed the arm rests i.e one board straight along the top while the ladies leg rest was level with the seat.These leg rests were also in one piece,not swivelled like you see on todays chairs.They took up a lot of room but beat a lot of todays lounger chairs for comfort [if you can find time to sit in one] vinnie

powderpost
10th May 2006, 10:16 PM
My grandfather made a "squatters chair" a lot of years ago. It had round timber sides roughly in the shape of an open pair of scissors with a brace at the back, something like a deck chair. He told me he had seen something similar to that made from tree branch forks without the brace, on a cattle property in northern New South Wales. The part you sat/lay on was a sack bag. He was of the impression that the chair had evolved out of necessity in the bush where there wern't too many furniture shops. Whether it is an Australian creation or not is unclear.
Probably like the kerosene tin box chest of drawers????
Jim