PDA

View Full Version : Done it!!

chad
2nd September 2008, 08:23 AM
Wrote a thread months ago regarding sail in the UK. Ordered one from Duckworks instead. Fitted it on Saturday and I'm just about ready for launching. It's all tidal rivers and estuaries where I live (nr Southend-on-Sea, Essex, UK) so I'm deciding best place to launch, maybe at the weekend.....:)

Maximuss
2nd September 2008, 08:35 AM
Wrote a thread months ago regarding sail in the UK. Ordered one from Duckworks instead. Fitted it on Saturday and I'm just about ready for launching. It's all tidal rivers and estuaries where I live (nr Southend-on-Sea, Essex, UK) so I'm deciding best place to launch, maybe at the weekend.....:)

Well done, very well done :U
Now i we just need to hear about the sailing!
Dont you have some picture of your boat ?

I just started on mine, so far i have 2 half sides cut out and planned ;)

The sail from Duckwood, is that a kit or finish sail and what is the price ?
I have given up on the sails here in Denmark :(

Bjarne

chad
2nd September 2008, 08:50 AM
Sail comes completely finished including battens and was perfect fit. It took 90 days before they posted it as the sailmaker is so busy. Cost was just over £300 Sterling including VAT (paid locally) .
Boat goes together very quickly- sanding takes a LONG time though. Built mine over 6 months evenings and weekends, then had to wait for the sail! Worth the wait though. Rigging it up was easy as I followed the instructions on the website since I've never made a boat before. Good luck

Maximuss
5th September 2008, 10:18 PM
Hey Chad.

Dont you have some more pictures/videos of your GIS ?

Bjarne

Boatmik
6th September 2008, 12:39 AM
Hi Chad!

Great news. We all do look forward to seeing EVIDENCE though.

People do forget about the SANDING when they build boats. That is why most of us who sell plans try not to mention it too often.

"Don't mention the SANDING ... I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it".

I must say epoxy precoating and sanding the ply sheets before the parts are cut out is a huge benefit for the inside of the boat in terms of laboursaving. Epoxying does also reduce the amount of coats of undercoat and varnish that need to be applied a little ... so that reduces the SANDING too.

I certainly wonder about plans and titles that claim that you will be sailing around in your own little boat after a weekend or even as little as "Six Hours".

MIK

b.o.a.t.
6th September 2008, 01:53 AM
I certainly wonder about plans and titles that claim that you will be sailing around in your own little boat after a weekend or even as little as "Six Hours".
MIK

Wonder no more MIK !!

Option 1: "Poetic License" (alternate spelling: "lying through their teeth")

Option 2: "Rough as guts"

Option 3: Both of the above.

hope this helps mate :U

AJ

Maximuss
6th September 2008, 03:40 AM
hehe, i have found the perfect solution about the sanding, im gonna paint my both outside AND inside ;)
I intend to get the gunwales, the mast etc and if i can the seats in the naturally wood.

Bjarne

Daddles
6th September 2008, 10:30 AM
so I'm deciding best place to launch, maybe at the weekend.....:)

May I suggest somewhere wet (as opposed to the motorway on your way there :C)

Richard