PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Planer/Thicknesser Blades

GraemeCook
2nd September 2008, 02:56 PM
I got an Icon Planer Thicknesser about a month ago and belatedly have started thinking about sharpening the blades. Their handbook just mentions changing blades; no mention of sharpening.

Is it possible or desirable to sharpen them myself or to get them sharpenned, or do I have to replace them.

The Icon brand was made by GMC and seems very similar or identical to the GMC machine. The two blades are each 317mm long (12.5 inches), double edged (so I just reverse the blades on first blunting) and are held in place by six allen screws that go through the blades. The blades do not appear to be adjustable.

What should I do when the blades get blunt?

Thanks

Graeme

fubar
2nd September 2008, 02:59 PM
they are meant to be throw away and buy new blades

Vernonv
2nd September 2008, 03:26 PM
Hi Graeme,
I've had some success with sharpening similar planner blades - just used a normal sharpening stone. It can be very fiddly to do, but you do notice the difference. However I've never managed to get them as sharp as new blades.

I think SilentC has made a drill press mounted jig for sharpening his planner blades if I remember correctly.

The Bleeder
2nd September 2008, 04:02 PM
Graeme,

Have a look at this thread. I had some success but as stated they are not a sharp as the originals. It does get a little more life out of them.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=69231

Steve

whitewood
3rd September 2008, 04:37 PM
Graeme,

I have a T13 Hafco planner. It has double sided blades and no adjustment. I have measured the width of new blades and find that I can get them professionally sharpened at least once before they become too small to touch the timber. For me the sharpening costs far less than new blades. Do your own maths and make a decision.

John

GraemeCook
6th September 2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone.

You have pretty well confirmed what I suspected. I'll be able to extend the life of the thicknesser blades by honing them, but will then have to replace the blades.

But three sets of blades might well exceed the cost of the new thicknesser; well, I did get a good deal....

Cheers

Graeme