PDA

View Full Version : 2008 WWF Box Challenge - Vote for your favourite box made by a Beginner Box Maker

RufflyRustic
3rd Sep 2008, 02:41 PM
Here's the poll for you to select your favourite box, made by a Beginner Box Maker.

The poll will close at the same time as the Poll for Overall WWF Challenge Box - Forum Favourite (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=78404), Tuesday, 9:20 am, 9 September 2008.

WWF Challenge Box Pictures are here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=78386).

Cheers
Wendy
Head Moderator
Woodworking Australia's
WOODWORK FORUMS

Ozkaban
3rd Sep 2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all of your work Wendy!

Cheers,
Dave

AUSSIE
3rd Sep 2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks Noel & Wendy.
We know how much trouble
This has been :C
Us beginners cant compete
with you big guys, yet, but..
Wait till next time though:2tsup:
Cheers Aussie

tea lady
3rd Sep 2008, 07:05 PM
Wow. That's a lot of beginners. Good to see everyone having a go.:2tsup: Its good to have an objective and a deadline, I've found.:cool:

Frank&Earnest
3rd Sep 2008, 07:35 PM
Wow. That's a lot of beginners. Good to see everyone having a go.:2tsup: Its good to have an objective and a deadline, I've found.:cool:

Yep, that's the idea. Is it possible that, had this been clearer from the start, we would have lost less than eight people along the way? This way everybody feels comfortable starting out but, as Aussie said, Wait till next time though:2tsup:! Of course, once somebody gets a gong (or decides s/he is good enough to compete with the grownups anyway) s/he is not a beginner anymore and everybody is happy. With all the different specialties of WW available, there are many opportunities for people to experiment.

Thanks Wendy for setting this up.

coffenup
3rd Sep 2008, 09:58 PM
thanks for this chance for all the beginners to get more excited about box making and to be able to excell
Regards
Michael

funkychicken
4th Sep 2008, 11:42 PM
Is it possible that, had this been clearer from the start, we would have lost less than eight people along the way?

Well, a few pulled out 'cause they were sick and one pulled out cause he's moving and the rest...You'd think two months would be long enough:roll:

damian
5th Sep 2008, 09:00 AM
The other poll was really hard. This one is virtually impossible to pick from. I'm amazed these came from "beginners". They look pretty professional to me. Well done all of you.

munruben
5th Sep 2008, 09:45 AM
.You'd think two months would be long enough:roll:Maybe too long FC and lost some momentum along the way. I think all in all it has been a great competition. Well done FC and all concerened.

The other poll was really hard. This one is virtually impossible to pick from. I'm amazed these came from "beginners". They look pretty professional to me. Well done all of you.Some awesome results I reckon. Top marks to all of them. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Wongo
5th Sep 2008, 10:09 AM
Isn't it interesting? #2 got most of the votes here and yet nothing over the other poll. #7 got more votes at the other poll than here.

:?

Frank&Earnest
5th Sep 2008, 10:21 AM
Isn't it interesting? #2 got most of the votes here and yet nothing over the other poll. #7 got more votes at the other poll than here.

:?

You mean #3 and #12 I suppose? I knew that numbers are not your forte...:p

IMHO there is a simple explanation: from experts you expect craftmanship, for beginners you value more originality

Frank&Earnest
5th Sep 2008, 10:29 AM
Maybe too long FC and lost some momentum along the way. I think all in all it has been a great competition. Well done FC and all concerened.

Ditto.:2tsup:

Wongo
5th Sep 2008, 10:35 AM
IMHO there is a simple explanation: from experts you expect craftmanship, for beginners you value more originality

Really? We must be all experts in judging then.

Cruzi
5th Sep 2008, 11:32 AM
Really? We must be all experts in judging then.

Some have been judging others for sometime.

RufflyRustic
5th Sep 2008, 11:36 AM
There are more choices for the Overall Favourite, there are less for the beginners and speaking for myself, the process I went through to decide on my favourite beginner box was different to the process I used for Overall Favourite.

I guess other voters may have used a similar voting decision process themselves. Who's to know unless they say so?

In the end, does it really matter? :shrug:

Cruzi
5th Sep 2008, 11:44 AM
I thought No 2 was a beginner box maker as well ?

The person has done woodwork for a little while but is pretty new to box making.

Wongo
5th Sep 2008, 11:52 AM
Hang on, so Wendy, how does one qualify as a beginner? I've done woodwork for a while and that was the first damn boxes I've made.

I still prefer to be in the bigger group though. :cool: :U

Frank&Earnest
5th Sep 2008, 12:30 PM
Hang on, so Wendy, how does one qualify as a beginner? I've done woodwork for a while and that was the first damn boxes I've made.

I still prefer to be in the bigger group though. :cool: :U

Good question. I put it in the same way to Noel and he put me in the beginners. Which I thought was fair enough because I am a beginner hobbyist in the other areas also. From reading your posts I thought you were at professional level in cabinet making and you never denied it, whether for truth or pride only you can tell. :wink:

Didn't get your previous comment to my, genuinely humble, opinion. It was just a guess, and more as a question than a statement, on the thinking process used (which, as Wendy says, in the end does not matter, unless you are using it to justify your judging expertise).

Cruzi seems to suggest that many of us tend to be judgmental in character :D. If the shoe fits...

Wongo
5th Sep 2008, 12:36 PM
Semi professional, not professional. :D

watson
5th Sep 2008, 12:56 PM
Hmm! Coff coff!! 'scuse me!!
Way back in post 390 of the original thread , Funky posted his rules as follows:

Now onto official business..

Judging shall be: All the entries shall be posted on a page anonymously like the last one. There will be a public poll for you all to vote who's best. That poll will count for 50% of the score. The other 50% will come from three judges. They will give you a score out of ten in a few different fields. The scores will be pooled and that score will be added to the score from the poll and the winners will be decided.

Now for the prizes!!!!:yippy:

First Prize:1st:: A HNT Gordon Style Plane made by me using one of Thumbsuckers Plane Blades

Second Prize:2nd: A Cutting Gauge also made by me

Third Prize:3rd: A real perrty Pen (probly a Baron or Sedona) made by me

The winners will also each get a Leatherbound Notebook made by Wendy (RufflyRustic)

The Best Beginner will receive a boxed set of tools made by Weisyboy.
If you think you classify as a beginner then say so when you send your photos to Watson.

Have I already announced the prizes but forgotten?:roll:

When entering photos; Enter 5 of any (reasonable) size. (no 5mb pics). Plus a bit of a blurb about your box and say whether you classify as a beginner or not. And add a big thanks to Watson for his help:2tsup:

Now get back into the workshop you slackers!:p

So that was Funky's rules

Sorry if the beginners didn't see it (twice) so I figure in all fairness, that I should donate another prize for the beginners section.....which is a pair of +4 reading glasses from the $2 Shop

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Sorry

Wongo
5th Sep 2008, 01:06 PM
And I was right because I am not a beginner. :D

Groggy
5th Sep 2008, 01:37 PM
.....which is a pair of +4 reading glasses from the $2 ShopFair call :rofl:

Cruzi
5th Sep 2008, 01:42 PM
My mistake, since I didn't enter I didn't read rules and regulations, the question arose simply because I know who made it, t'was all.

watson
5th Sep 2008, 02:07 PM
No sweat Cruzi........just in case, I was gonna get a few pair anyway :U

Wongo
5th Sep 2008, 02:58 PM
No, it is my fault. I was just being silly. Will you forgive me Watson?:B

watson
5th Sep 2008, 03:23 PM
S'ok Wongo...I bought you a pair anyway :D :D

DougStowe
9th Sep 2008, 11:26 PM
Contest, make your own prizes!

One great thing about this contest, is that even if you didn't get one of the great prizes, you made your own. A beautiful box. I didn't see one that I wouldn't have been proud of.

Doug

Sorry if the beginners didn't see it (twice) so I figure in all fairness, that I should donate another prize for the beginners section.....which is a pair of +4 reading glasses from the $2 Shop

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Sorry