PDA

View Full Version : ideas for a turned hand held back massager?

TimberNut
3rd September 2008, 05:20 PM
guys, I have been requested to turn a hand held back massager.
Anyone made one already? got any pics to share?
Thanks
Timbernut

wheelinround
3rd September 2008, 06:56 PM
There are a few simple ones do a a google image search

it would depend on if user only or someone else is doing it for you which dictates design

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th September 2008, 12:41 AM
Google "Cat o' nine tails." :innocent:

Seriously, what type of back massager do you mean?

I've seen ones that are basically beaded belts with a handle on each end, others that replace the beads with rollers and yet others which are more of a back-scratcher type affair... a roller-on-a-stick type thing.

Or do you mean a massager that's used by one person on someone else?

robutacion
4th September 2008, 03:21 AM
guys, I have been requested to turn a hand held back massager.
Anyone made one already? got any pics to share?
Thanks
Timbernut

Oh yes, I made a few out of all sorts of things.
My preference goes to the Kangaroo front paws. I will get you the animal bits (licenced to do so), and you make the handles, short or long. Nothing compares...!:D
Seriously...!:)

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

TimberNut
4th September 2008, 10:20 AM
The kind of thing I was thinking of was like a handle connected to some rotating balls/wheels. Have found some images on Google, but thought maybe some forumites have already made similar and might have ideas to share.

As I understand the request, it's just for one person to give another person a gentle shoulder/back massage without having to tire our the muscles in their fingers/hands.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th September 2008, 08:33 PM
That still leaves a lot of different types. :D

One of the simplest massagers is to make one large ball and three or four small balls, then use dowels to connect them all together like a small animal, with the small balls making feet. These sell well at markets (I paint eyes on) but, frankly, I think they leave something to eb desired when it comes to massaging.

Another type is a simple stick with a hole drilled through one end for a pair of balls mounted on an axle. Sorta looks like a kinky hammer... I've only ever made one of these and it ended up in a kid's toybox. :rolleyes:

I've also seen ones that are sort of like toy cars, with rounded wheels but I've been told by several people that they tend to break axles. (I wouldn't know - never made or used one of these.)

A bit more complicated is to make a handle from a C-shaped piece of wood - ply is best, for strength - and drilling through the top and bottom of the "opening" of the C so a dowel can be fitted as an axle. (Making it into an "O" if you know what I mean? A pic is worth a 1,000 words, 'cept I don't have any. :p) You can either fit several rounded wheels or a beaded roller. I've been meaning to try a strong piece of string instead of a dowel to see if it'll work any better, being flexible, but I'm doubtful about it's durability.

Finally... I've been planning to try my hand at making a type that's even more complicated; the handle is a carved, "H" shaped piece of wood that's been steamed and bent so the uprights form four legs. Rounded wheels are mounted on dowels that are just barely wider than the wheels, and are all strung together with a string net. The corners of the net are tied to the handle. I've been told these work well for massages, as they conform to the body. All I gotta do is work out how to make it!

weisyboy
4th September 2008, 08:37 PM
i made one that works well adn is verry simple ill see if i can find a pic.:2tsup:

Groggy
4th September 2008, 08:39 PM
It's called an architrave, doorways make great scratching posts.

Caution: the uninitiated should avoid revolving doors and elevator doors. :)

weisyboy
4th September 2008, 08:46 PM
couldnt find one but here is a crappy sketch.

this is pretty mutch a cross section streight down the center it is made from one peice of wood no rotating parts. althow it can be made witht eh large rings rotating.

it is about 100mm diamiter at the largest point. i rounded over the corners and they can be improved furthere by making teh rings "lumpy".

it only took me about 10 mins to make it

Fredo
5th September 2008, 04:48 PM
Hi TimberNut
I made this back massager, maybe it's the type you're looking for. It's a simple wooden handle with two axles and four wheels. The only thing you have to watch out for is that you elongate the axle holes up and down, I don't quite know how to explain this, but if you can imagine it's a car you need to have suspension travel so the wheels can move up and down as it follows the bodies contours. See pics.
Sizes are: the handle is 190mm long, overall hight from bottom of wheel to top of the handle is 115mm, it is 140mm wide across the wheels, wheel diameter is 55mm and the length of the wheel is 55mm when cut off on the inside, hope this helps.

Fredo :U
PS My wife loves it!