PDA

View Full Version : New Batch

Richard0470
3rd September 2008, 09:04 PM
Here's some photo's of the latest batch, finished ready for the water..... The fish however won't really know what hit them, especially when they hit the pan!!

Rum Pig
4th September 2008, 09:13 AM
They look good Richard:2tsup::2tsup:

I like the first one the best. What timber did you use for them??

Need to see a photo of the first fish you catch with one.

oldiephred
4th September 2008, 09:17 AM
Lovely things to look at. I do a lot of fishing but have never used such instruments. What kind of fishing do you use them for?

govarney
4th September 2008, 10:17 AM
Me dad always used them for blackfish

Ed Reiss
4th September 2008, 12:43 PM
Richard...

Nice turnings there.

Please clue me into what they are used for....have not seen something like that here in the states!:?

Cheers,
Ed :D

Rookie
4th September 2008, 01:59 PM
Lovely work Richard.

Pity on those Sydney Harbour garfish this year. Don't stand a chance

govarney
4th September 2008, 07:20 PM
Ed,

The way most people think of fishing is add a sinker, hook and bait and throw it in. The works fine for fish that live on or near the bottom of the ocean/river/lake. But what about those fish that like it closer to the surface. You need a way to keep the bait near the surface.

Enter the "float". With line and bait attached it bobs around at the water surface, ie floats, holding the bait near the surface for those surface loving fish.

As a fisherman you just keep an eye on the float and when it gets pulled under you have yourself a fish :-

Richard0470
4th September 2008, 10:17 PM
Rumpig, Cedar is the choice the imported variety as i have just discovered. With the help of hard to find 4mm Bamboo skewers from my local $2 shop. Stainless 0.50mm wire for eyelets, and nylon bindings.

Oldiephred, Blackfish and LeatherJacket.

Ed, as Gov says, there are bottom feeders and mid level feeders which remain just above a reed bed, these fish are mainly herbies and live on, forgive the term 'green weed', due to colour mainly. Its long hair like weed in strands wound round a hook that would fit on your little finger nail. With the aid of a stopper you can adjust the height of the hook off the bottom, more for estuary waters than the Hudson!! hahahaha As normal fishing you can feel the bite 'Luderick' or commonly known as Blackfish suck the bait in and thus draw the float under the water in a long smooth action, once under the water, 3 seconds then whip up the rod and no need to visit the chippy on the way home. This style of fishing really adds meaning to the term relaxation, and as my favourite quote says "the lord does not deduct from a mans alotted span time spent fishing"

Just out of curiosity what would you catch in the Hudson?

John, nothing in the Harbour stands a chance this year, and not cos i'm out with the WMD's!! Mind you what ever i catch in there would go straight back......

Ed Reiss
5th September 2008, 12:00 AM
:doh:I really need to get out more!!! :club:

Should have guessed what a float is even though I've never done any river or lake fishing....only out in the Atlantic off the coast of Jersey (don't use them out there).

Bobber is the name that is commonly used here and the shape is like that in the picture.

As far as what type of fish are in the Hudson...don't have an answer for that.:no:

Thanks for the education on floats!

Cheers,

Ed :D