PDA

View Full Version : Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

rod1949
4th September 2008, 02:17 PM
Any of you blokes feel / think / do suffer from this syndrome?

If so have you sought any help / diagnosed / treatment / medication etc?

damian
4th September 2008, 02:20 PM
Since I was 21...

rod1949
4th September 2008, 02:22 PM
Seriously.

The Bleeder
4th September 2008, 02:22 PM
Yes. I don't suffer fools/idiots to well and then they call me grumpy. Where I work this is a daily occurrance.

Steve

Chesand
4th September 2008, 02:27 PM
After major surgery 10 years ago I made a conscious decision that I would no longer suffer fools. I do not feel guilty about it - to hell with them

mic-d
4th September 2008, 02:40 PM
Why do people post such trivial bloody threads! I've now wasted at least a minute of the finite time I have remaining. Geeze!:((

Cheers
Michael

Chesand
4th September 2008, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the club Mic-D

Cliff Rogers
4th September 2008, 03:00 PM
I had a job to do at midnight last night & I was driving home after 1 am listening to Tony Delroy on the ABC.

He had a talk-back session going on the economy... strewth!!!!
The weirdos that ring up at that hour of the morning are something else.

It the encyclopedia under Grumpy Old there should be a reference to that segment. :D

Ron Dunn
4th September 2008, 03:35 PM
I don't suffer ... only those with whom I come in contact.

My treatment is shed-time.

LGS
4th September 2008, 04:02 PM
I moved from grumpy to full blown Curmudgeon. I feel much better now.:oo:

damian
4th September 2008, 04:17 PM
Seriously.

I was being serious. I noticed when I was 21 that my patience with idiots had started to wain. As I've gotten older it's got shorter and shorter.

I just typed out another rant, but I'm not posting it. If I get started I might be still typing tomorrow morning...

prozac
4th September 2008, 11:11 PM
I had a job to do at midnight last night & I was driving home after 1 am listening to Tony Delroy on the ABC.

Job at midnight, only lasts an hour?.... Crikey Cliff, are you a Hit Man?

prozac
4th September 2008, 11:13 PM

...or a Giggilo (how DO you spell that?)?

Christopha
5th September 2008, 08:07 AM
It's spelt "WANE"..... Idiot! ;)

JackoH
5th September 2008, 09:43 AM
What a load of RUBBISH!

rod1949
5th September 2008, 10:58 AM
So there's a few of you then?

Have you sought help and/or taken any medication?

BobL
5th September 2008, 11:15 AM
Have you sought help and/or taken any medication?

I find a good session of whinging, cynicism, feeling indignant and a few glasses of red every now and then with like minded grumps helps keep the lid on it. :D

Chesand
5th September 2008, 11:22 AM
Woodwork is my medication

damian
5th September 2008, 11:37 AM
it is my medication. Without it I'm sure I'd bottle up my frustrations and have a breakdown.

Cliff Rogers
5th September 2008, 11:27 PM

Nup, computer tech, I had an urgent job to change a WIC-1T in a Cisco router at the chook factory.

An hour to get there, an hour on site, ( Actually just 2 screws so the job really took about 2 minutes :rolleyes: ) & an hour to get home.

So I got paid $300 for 3 hours work & I spend 2 of that sitting in the car listening to the radio..... not bad even if it was crap. :2tsup:

The money is in knowing what a WIC-1T in a Cisco router is & which 2 screws. :D

The thing is, it didn't fix the fault, it was a Telco problem. :p

prozac
6th September 2008, 01:00 AM
Nup, computer tech, I had an urgent job to change a WIC-1T in a Cisco router at the chook factory.

An hour to get there, an hour on site, ( Actually just 2 screws so the job really took about 2 minutes :rolleyes: ) & an hour to get home.

So I got paid $300 for 3 hours work & I spend 2 of that sitting in the car listening to the radio..... not bad even if it was crap. :2tsup:

The money is in knowing what a WIC-1T in a Cisco router is & which 2 screws. :D

The thing is, it didn't fix the fault, it was a Telco problem. :p

How can you live with yourself. Better just to say you are a hitman.

Cliff Rogers
6th September 2008, 01:06 AM
How can you live with yourself. Better just to say you are a hitman.

It doesn't happen very often. :D

damian
6th September 2008, 10:55 AM
IT looks good from the outside. I did 2 years as a unix sys admin. Never again. You can only take being paged at 2 am for some stupid problem so many times.

Engineers probably have more stress overall, and longer hours, but once I leave work I leave work.

So Cliff do you just do hardware or do you do networks aswell ?

MICKYG
6th September 2008, 08:29 PM
"For every minute you are angry you loose 60 seconds of happiness"
Ralph Emerson

Regards Mike:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
8th September 2008, 09:54 AM
..So Cliff do you just do hardware or do you do networks aswell ?

Hardware service/support including reloads/rebuilds.

Field service, AKA '2nd line support' or 'Customer visit'

I'm the field tech for networks... if the network blokes sitting in a cavern in a big city down south loose comms/control/management of a device in the field up this way, I head out there with some spares & a laptop with a console cable.
I call them from site & I become their 'remote management' til the device is back on the network & under their control again.

I also get to do the same/similar for remote servers.

I'd rather being doing that sort of work at any hour of the day than 'home user support' particularly if they have a teenager. :rolleyes:
The teenager virus is a sure bet for Grumpy Old Man Syndrome. :D

damian
8th September 2008, 10:19 AM
Got that. Any face to face with end users is bad, not just IT - retail etc. I just don't have the personality for it.

Friends just had exchange students from Germany. She loaned her laptop and got it back with all manner of stuff on it. I was quite shocked at how inconsiderate the kid was with someone else's computer...

kekemo
17th January 2009, 12:41 AM
Not my domain.... but isn't there supposed to be a cure for everything....

... you should try a good laugh... humor & witty will always put you on the road to recovery...

.....especially if it travels the same road... as the cruiser with the caravan on the back... stock van with a weeks supply of cold beers or chilled wine... couple of mountain bikes for exploring after you set up camp... if your duo.

if not...

.... make sure you have a suitable travel companion...if its not a great book... or a cuddly pooch... crossword...cryptic... then you need to explore the possibilities of finding the right one person to travel with....

....sometimes grumpy men get that way because they havent got the other side of the equation...
.... its not just a problem for men...
...there are so many grumpy... dull... boring...lazy... lethargic stupid woman out there is amazing....
....how many woman know how to change a tyre.... mow the lawns... clean a fish.... sit down enjoy a cold beer... enjoy 4WDing & camping... use a workshop.... sometimes they have it too good... & forget how hard others have it... they forget how to stay effervescent & happy... no wonder some men get grumpy if they live with grumpy old ladies...
LOL...sorry but I think thats true.

....age is but a number.... if you dont want to fall into the "grumpy" syndrome...DONT!
You have to ...LIVE... LAUGH... LOVE...
Bet this gets me in hot water!

Now having said that... don't think for one minute that I don't like BLACK-LACE... MOVIE TICKETS... or 5 star DINING... everything comes with a balance... you need to know when to wear heels or steelcaps boots..... dinner-party or bush barbie...

..So, stop listening to anything negative.... try to make someone smile at least once a day... and your well on your way to never being "GRUMPY" again!

joe greiner
17th January 2009, 01:50 AM
I must have missed this thread the first time around. Either that, or I forgot.

I discovered this medication last weekend. Close to Guinness, but a stronger kick.

Cheers,
Joe

kekemo
17th January 2009, 02:59 AM
Ok Joe.... whats this you guys taking off our architecture... or have you traded allegiance.... great name for a beer!
No wonder you boys turn into "grumpy old men".... power of the poison!

masoth
17th January 2009, 07:59 AM
For a long time I was a GOM, but then I grew-up. Now I just observe the stupidity of those, mostly, inadequate persons I used to growl at. Mind you, I'm not yet prefect - just 'gooder' than I was.:cool:

soth

joe greiner
17th January 2009, 10:19 PM
Ok Joe.... whats this you guys taking off our architecture... or have you traded allegiance.... great name for a beer!
No wonder you boys turn into "grumpy old men".... power of the poison!

Other way 'round, Kerry.:wink:

The pub had it only on tap. No stickers or doilies/coasters to pin on me. I Googled to find the brewer's web site. I think they're in San Diego CA. They also list some locations to which they export, with pictorial evidence. Maybe I'll buy a T-shirt, to balance against my cordial nature.:D

Cheers,
Joe

rsser
1st June 2009, 10:12 PM
Don't think Rod got much out of you crappers-on :rolleyes:

Rod, what are the signs that you are grumpy or that being grumpy is a problem?

Cliff Rogers
2nd June 2009, 10:11 AM
Don't think Rod got much out of you crappers-on ...
Crappers-on? I would have said crapper-onners I think. :think:

rsser
2nd June 2009, 10:15 AM
Cliff! Here I am being a snag and trying to get Rod to share with the group ... (so's I can start work on a grump inventory :p )

Cliff Rogers
2nd June 2009, 10:31 AM
The thread is nearly 9 months old, maybe he is feeling better now. :D

rsser
2nd June 2009, 10:36 AM
... or went off in a grump.

tea lady
2nd June 2009, 10:47 AM
:? I thought it was a natural progression from grumpy young man.

Phil Spencer
2nd June 2009, 02:43 PM
Life is to short to be grumpy :(

rsser
2nd June 2009, 02:48 PM
Being grumpy makes it feel a lot longer.

Grumpy John
3rd June 2009, 06:16 PM
Hey, what's wrong with grumpy. I'm turning it into an art form:mad3:.

prozac
4th June 2009, 08:51 PM
Should be an Amendment Right as in "I plead the 9th your Honour"

tea lady
6th June 2009, 11:18 PM
Should be an Amendment Right as in "I plead the 9th your Honour":think: but should we push out the allowable age for grumping? Like the pension?:D

beer is good
12th June 2009, 03:20 AM
There are a few truisms related to grumpiness:
1. As you get older you get grumpier.
2. There is a lot of stuff to be grumpy about. For instance, politicians spewing out the same crap year after year.
3. And what's worse - the general public believing it AGAIN.
4. Teenagers with mobile phones cause immediate grumpiness.(It's only a phone for gawd's sake, not a life support device.) :~

Grumpy John
12th June 2009, 08:41 AM
:aro-u:

5. Television "celebrities" think their opinions matter.
6. Current affair journalists have replaced used car salesman as the lowest form of life.

prozac
13th June 2009, 03:35 PM
:aro-u:
6. Current affair journalists have replaced used car salesman as the lowest form of life.

I thought that was lawyers?

Sebastiaan56
5th July 2009, 09:16 AM
2. There is a lot of stuff to be grumpy about. For instance, politicians spewing out the same crap year after year.
3. And what's worse - the general public believing it AGAIN.

Once you've been round that routine a few times it does make one grumpy. Lib, Lab, Lib, Lab, Lib, Lab, both are the same disingenuous, power hungry, blood sucking, parasitic, feral, shyte spewing, lying, back stabbing, pathetic, self absorbed, cancerous pack of rabid animals. And people still vote for them.... its amazing, pathetic and makes me grumpy.

Then there's the economy; boom, bust, boom, bust, boom, bust, boom, bust etc. Interest rates; up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, etc (no, not what your mind was thinking although that was nice)

There is a lot to be grumpy about. Mind you, getting the BP medication right seems to help :D

tea lady
5th July 2009, 11:03 PM
I think I've got Grumpy Old Man Syndrome. :C How do I get rid of him.

Honorary Bloke
5th July 2009, 11:17 PM

A bit of arsenic in the teapot? :wink:

johnc
5th July 2009, 11:38 PM
A bit of arsenic in the teapot? :wink:
Or ratsack in the porridge. Powdered glass in the scones, or just change the locks.:;

Phil Spencer
6th July 2009, 09:47 AM

I am thinking of having 'Grumpy Old Man' added to my business cards. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BobL
6th July 2009, 10:11 AM
Any of you blokes feel / think / do suffer from this syndrome? If so have you sought any help / diagnosed / treatment / medication etc?

The extent of the :~ is inversely proportional to the amount of shed time I get. :2tsup:

The other thing that works for me is to work with young people. :oo: At first my level of :~ goes UP significantly,:(( you just have to hang in there and get over their obvious:doh: Eventually their energy, enthusiasm and optimism rubs off. Besides they are dead :U and I laugh a lot which helps the :~!

tea lady
6th July 2009, 11:33 AM
The extent of the :~ is inversely proportional to the amount of shed time I get. :2tsup:

The other thing that works for me is to work with young people. :oo: At first my level of :~ goes UP significantly,:(( you just have to hang in there and get over their obvious:doh: Eventually their energy, enthusiasm and optimism rubs off. Besides they are dead :U and I laugh a lot which helps the :~!:D

:think: 'Cept my grumpy old man works in a university. Aren't those ones young enough.:shrug:

rsser
6th July 2009, 11:49 AM
Contact with first year undergrads as a sessional teacher is one of the most satisfying things I have. They're bright and good-hearted and mostly have values that give cause for optimism about the challenges we face.

However being a full-time academic and dealing with all the interpersonal and organisational sh*te was one of the least and I'm happy I jumped ship and went free-lance. The capacity to call it like it is or to walk away from something that's not going to work had an income cost but reduced the risk of hypertension big time.

tea lady
6th July 2009, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=rsser;990940

However being a full-time academic and dealing with all the interpersonal and organisational sh*te was one of the least and I'm happy I jumped ship and went free-lance. The capacity to call it like it is or to walk away from something that's not going to work had an income cost but reduced the risk of hypertension big time.[/QUOTE]
:think: Hmm! I don't think Hubby could deal with the uncertainly.:doh: B*^$#%^ mortgage. Oh to be free and on the road. :sigh: 'cept where would I put my stuff.:rolleyes:

BobL
6th July 2009, 11:25 PM
Contact with first year undergrads as a sessional teacher is one of the most satisfying things I have. They're bright and good-hearted and mostly have values that give cause for optimism about the challenges we face.
Agree

However being a full-time academic and dealing with all the interpersonal and organisational sh*te was one of the least and I'm happy I jumped ship and went free-lance. The capacity to call it like it is or to walk away from something that's not going to work had an income cost but reduced the risk of hypertension big time.
All sounds very familiar plus I line manage some 3 score plus people in my work unit. For the moment I can handle it. Firstly I work with a very good team of people, and as long as get enough shed/wood time. It's amazing how much I can tolerate after a day working my big chainsaw mill and taking apart a big log! I've often thought about bringing in a big chainsaw into work leaning it up against my office wall - I think the conversations might be a little less feisty than they sometimes are :D

tea lady
7th July 2009, 12:57 AM
I've often thought about bringing in a big chainsaw into work leaning it up against my office wall - I think the conversations might be a little less feisty than they sometimes are :D:rofl: So what did YOU do on the weekend? :D

rsser
7th July 2009, 07:30 AM
:think: Hmm! I don't think Hubby could deal with the uncertainly.:doh: B*^$#%^ mortgage. Oh to be free and on the road. :sigh: 'cept where would I put my stuff.:rolleyes:

To make any big career change, whether in occupation or employment status, I think you need some kind of 'cheer squad'. It's hard to do it on your own. It also takes a good deal of analysis and planning.

BobL, yeah, it helps to have a good workgroup and key people that you've chosen too. When I've had this, and a worthwhile project or two that people have backed, the satisfaction and achievement have been high.

On the other hand, having line mgt responsibility for a hundred academics and general staff when the main work was what I called the 3 P's was no joy (Policeman, Postmaster and Paperweight). Add to that an organisational restructure about every 5 years with no clear purpose to any of them ..... :no:

Calm
7th July 2009, 08:22 AM
............................... Add to that an organisational restructure about every 5 years with no clear purpose to any of them ..... :no:

But Ern the reason is that every time you have a management change at the top they have to put their "stamp" on it by changing what was working perfectly well:no::no::doh:

Or just changing the name of the place along with stationary,uniforms etc to bring it up to "modern" times and all that costs heaps of money. Then they tell everyone how much better it is. :doh::doh::no::no::~

Phil Spencer
7th July 2009, 08:23 AM

Started working from home about six years ago, only go into the office about once every two weeks, most days I am on the road travel to country towns spend nights away, no politics or shyt, can't understand why I didn't do it earlier. The best days are when I call on Lucas Mill, Lws Owen who makes the Wood Whiz and call on to Omega Engineering and see the boys that make the Stubby lathe (is that boasting? don't mean to)

tea lady
7th July 2009, 10:26 AM
Started working from home about six years ago, only go into the office about once every two weeks, most days I am on the road travel to country towns spend nights away, no politics or shyt, can't understand why I didn't do it earlier. The best days are when I call on Lucas Mill, Lws Owen who makes the Wood Whiz and call on to Omega Engineering and see the boys that make the Stubby lathe (is that boasting? don't mean to)sounds nice. I had a job once picking up books for a book shop. 'twas nice catching up with people on the way.:cool: Got sick of red light by the end of the day though. :doh: Maybe I should look for another job like that. At least it would get me out of the house.:D

BobL
7th July 2009, 10:38 AM
On the other hand, having line mgt responsibility for a hundred academics and general staff when the main work was what I called the 3 P's was no joy (Policeman, Postmaster and Paperweight). Add to that an organisational restructure about every 5 years with no clear purpose to any of them ..... :no:

Sounds very familiar except the reorg time scale is about 3 years! I see my role as the 4th P, Protect the workers as much as possible from management so that the workers can get on with their work.

rsser
7th July 2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, well, I got the gig as a reformer and while happy to protect, indeed promote, the folk doing a good job, they were in the minority. The resourcing and reward structures as well as academic culture worked to keep them in the minority by and large.

tea lady
7th July 2009, 04:20 PM
My Grumpy Old man's main problem is a tech assistant who is really a technical obstical. He seems to have the keys to all the cupboards and doesn't like people actually using anything.:doh:

rsser
7th July 2009, 04:35 PM
Ah. Yes, I've not found universities to be particularly good at performance management.

Weekend hack
10th July 2009, 08:27 PM
Post started wonderfully (as a semi grumpy younger older man type person) but dropped off with less and less grumpy old man outbursts.

We must keep focussed... how can we have more frustrating head butting competitions with half witted youngsters of to day if we don't keep focused.

We should strive to forming grumpy old man vigilante groups wondering the streets at near dusk by about 2 hours before sun down so we can still see with our partially detached retina and grumpily mumble at young passers by, if for no other reason than because we can as we are grumpy old men.

I find myself living by one main principle...

"you can't argue with an idiot"

It's not my fault every body is an idiot.:D

rsser
10th July 2009, 09:08 PM
Whadda load a tripe!

Course ya can argue with an idiot.

Just did.

So there.

Weekend hack
10th July 2009, 09:43 PM
:ontopic::welldone:

tea lady
10th July 2009, 11:37 PM
We should strive to forming grumpy old man vigilante groups wondering the streets at near dusk by about 2 hours before sun down so we can still see with our partially detached retina and grumpily mumble at young passers by, if for no other reason than because we can as we are grumpy old men.

Any later and it would be way past their bed time.:rolleyes: Got to go home and fall asleep in front of the telly.:p

TP1
11th July 2009, 02:57 AM
Any later and it would be way past their bed time.:rolleyes: Got to go home and fall asleep in front of the telly.:p

Can I get my wife to drive me there and pick me up?

Weekend hack
11th July 2009, 11:29 AM
:rofl:

pugwash
11th July 2009, 01:22 PM
Sometimes I wake up grumpy in the morning.

Sometimes I let him sleep in.

(Mrs. Pugwash)

tea lady
11th July 2009, 06:39 PM
Sometimes I wake up grumpy in the morning.

Sometimes I let him sleep in.

(Mrs. Pugwash):D :rofl:

rsser
14th July 2009, 06:11 PM
Old men aren't grumpy.

The world is just unreasonable.