PDA

View Full Version : Weird Household Chemistry.

tea lady
4th September 2008, 08:09 PM
Washing up tonight, I washed out an empty Vegemite jar and a Peanut Butter jar. Then the dish water smelt like cigarette butts. OK. Now all of you go out and smell the Vegemite and peanut butter together. Am I crazy? Or did it react in some weird way to my special mix of dirty pots.http://theblokeyshed.com/forums/images/smilies/hmm.gif:

Chipman
4th September 2008, 08:42 PM
Hi TL,

Must have been a reaction to something else in the dishwasher.... I have been known to have both of those spreads together and it never smelt/tasted like cigarette butts!

Cheers,

Chipman:)

watson
4th September 2008, 09:00 PM
Is your bloke stickin' his butts down the sink???:U :U

No matter how I typed that..it didn't come out right

snowyskiesau
4th September 2008, 11:16 PM
What is this 'washing up' of which you speak?

prozac
4th September 2008, 11:20 PM
Washing up tonight, I washed out an empty Vegemite jar and a Peanut Butter jar. Then the dish water smelt like cigarette butts. OK. :

Hmmmmmmm. Tea Lady, when was the last time you changed the washing up water?

Woodwould
4th September 2008, 11:52 PM
Pregnant? :roll:

fenderbelly
5th September 2008, 12:25 AM

possible, remember her computer was down for a while she would be at a loose end. :;

Christopha
5th September 2008, 08:05 AM
A: As any single bloke knows, Thursday is washing the damned dishes day.

B: It's not Peanut BUTTER it's Peanut PASTE!

C: Why on earth are you washing the jars anyway???

Poppa
5th September 2008, 06:02 PM
This is completely off-topic, but it really is Peanut Butter. It was called Peanut Paste in Australia because:

When margarine was introduced to this country, a regulation was created that only butter could be called 'butter', and no other substance was to be called 'butter', so that the dairy industry was protected and also to protect the consumer from buying margarine that was incorrectly named. As a consequence of this, Peanut Butter became Peanut Paste in this country, because they weren't allowed to call it 'butter'.

I'm a mine of such useless information...

tea lady
5th September 2008, 06:07 PM
A: As any single bloke knows, Thursday is washing the damned dishes day.Why do all the dished run out on Thursday?

B: It's not Peanut BUTTER it's Peanut PASTE!See below!!

C: Why on earth are you washing the jars anyway???I use the empty ones in the pottery studio for storing dry materials like glaze stain. :cool:

This is completely off-topic, but it really is Peanut Butter. It was called Peanut Paste in Australia because:

When margarine was introduced to this country, a regulation was created that only butter could be called 'butter', and no other substance was to be called 'butter', so that the dairy industry was protected and also to protect the consumer from buying margarine that was incorrectly named. As a consequence of this, Peanut Butter became Peanut Paste in this country, because they weren't allowed to call it 'butter'.

I'm a mine of such useless information...But my jar has Peanut BUTTER written on it?:hmm: Maybe they've changed the law, or put an "except on Peanut Butter" clause.:D

tea lady
5th September 2008, 06:09 PM
Why does everyone say that. And NO I'M NOT!!!!!!!:p

fenderbelly
5th September 2008, 07:01 PM
][/COLOR]I use the empty ones in the pottery studio for storing dry materials like glaze stain. :cool:

But my jar has Peanut BUTTER written on it?:hmm: Maybe they've changed the law, or put an "except on Peanut Butter" clause.:D

Lookout ebay here comes a jar of Peanut Butter

watson
5th September 2008, 08:07 PM
Just had a bit of bread/butter/and a peanut derived substance.....whilst I was cooking dinner.

Bugger me!........it was a jar of Peanut BUTTER according to the label.

2 cents please.

prozac
5th September 2008, 09:15 PM

I'm a mine of such useless information...

Hi Poppa, how old are you? I'm no spring chicken and as a kid I always called it peanut butter as that is what was written on the jar. I'm not saying you are wrong, just not my experience.

AlexS
5th September 2008, 11:23 PM
IIRC, the law applied in Queensland & maybe some other states. I don't think it ever applied in NSW, but was introduced by the Country Party Govt. to protect the dairy farmers, in the same spirit as the law that said margarine couldn't be coloured to look like butter - had to be green.

joe greiner
6th September 2008, 12:54 AM
A: As any single bloke knows, Thursday is washing the damned dishes day.

B: It's not Peanut BUTTER it's Peanut PASTE!

C: Why on earth are you washing the jars anyway???

A: No, September is washing the dishes month.
B: Whatever.
C: For storing nuts and bolts, for Heaven's sake.

During WW2 in USA, margarine was white, and the package included a squeeze-pack of yellow colouring for household conversion. IIRC, this was a legal requirement. And until around 1965-70(?), margarine, coloured or not, was forbidden in Wisconsin (America's Dairyland).

Joe

prozac
6th September 2008, 12:51 PM
And until around 1965-70(?), margarine, coloured or not, was forbidden in Wisconsin (America's Dairyland). Joe

Margarine bootlegging?

Poppa
6th September 2008, 01:16 PM
Sorry, the information I supplied wasn't quite complete. I did grow up in Qld where this law did indeed apply. Don't know if it applied in other states or not. It has long since been rescinded and no longer applies. But Queenslanders of a certain vintage grew up with this substance being called "peanut paste". The first time I heard it referred to as "peanut butter" I wondered if they'd invented some new wonderful substance that was even better than "peanut paste". Sadly, no, they were one and the same substance...

joe greiner
6th September 2008, 10:21 PM
Margarine bootlegging?

Yes, at least within a few miles of bordering states.

Joe

tea lady
6th September 2008, 11:19 PM
Just had a bit of bread/butter/and a peanut derived substance.....whilst I was cooking dinner.

Bugger me!........it was a jar of Peanut BUTTER according to the label.

2 cents please.Will you take a cheque?

IIRC, the law applied in Queensland & maybe some other states. I don't think it ever applied in NSW, but was introduced by the Country Party Govt. to protect the dairy farmers, in the same spirit as the law that said margarine couldn't be coloured to look like butter - had to be green.Maybe the peanut growers didn't want people to think there was butter in the jar. Isn't peanuts grown in qld? sounds a bit more like qld logic!!!!:D And green marg?:oo: Which green? Puce or bottle?:rolleyes:

AlexS
6th September 2008, 11:22 PM
Will you take a cheque?

:D And green marg?:oo: Which green? Puce or bottle?:rolleyes:
Bile.:D

Woodwould
6th September 2008, 11:25 PM
What's going on here? Are you all pregnant?

tea lady
6th September 2008, 11:30 PM
What's going on here? Are you all pregnant?

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!:oo:

Maybe its a full moon?:rolleyes:

watson
6th September 2008, 11:33 PM
I am............and the full moon is on the 15th.

Woodwould
6th September 2008, 11:34 PM
Maybe its a full moon?:rolleyes:

No, I remembered to put my trousers on today.

tea lady
6th September 2008, 11:45 PM
No, I remembered to put my trousers on today.

That's good!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I've run out of theories though!!!:C:D