PDA

View Full Version : Sideboard

Isaac Hunt
4th September 2008, 11:03 PM
Marri and jarrah sideboard.

Just finished

"But where are the back legs?"

All dovetail and mortise and tennon joint construction.

Beckers 30% 2 pack lacquer finish [sprayed]

Claw Hama
4th September 2008, 11:13 PM
Looks terrible, missing legs, two tone, looks out of proportion. Do you want me to stop? Nah just kidding looks fantastic keep up the good work.:wink:

timberbits
5th September 2008, 08:55 PM
Looks pretty nice.

How did you end up with a design like that?

Isaac Hunt
10th September 2008, 10:24 AM
I try to come up with designs that are crisp without being too minimalist.

I guess you can find elements of Scandanavian design and Art Deco in this piece as well as minimilism.

I made several scale models before settling on this design.The use of only front legs is unique as far as I know.I could have used four side mounted legs but think the use of only two looks better-and far more interesting.

The client wanted marri.I think a much plainer timber like WA blackbutt or Vic ash would have looked crisper.The curly marri used in the door panels is pretty special though.

Wongo
10th September 2008, 01:35 PM
Now that is cooler than cool. I quite like it. :2tsup:

The gap above the door on the left isn't even. Is it the picture or?

Sorry for being picky.:B

Chumley
10th September 2008, 02:23 PM
G'day Isaac,
Nice work - looks a million bucks - I like the offset legs.
Picture name seems to indicate it was taken on 5th May 2004?
Cheers,
Adam

Isaac Hunt
11th September 2008, 10:54 AM
Now that is cooler than cool. I quite like it. :2tsup:

The gap above the door on the left isn't even. Is it the picture or?

Sorry for being picky.:B

Yes a very slight taper there.Caused by uneven floor resulting in cabinet twist.This is normal in cabinets like this.Tall cabinets are even more prone to doors going slightly out of square.
Cabinets with plinths are less prone of course.
No sense in worrying about this until the items are installed because no floor is flat and you have to adjust for this in the final position by packing leg bottoms with slivers of cardboard or sometimes 3mm MDF.Tile floors are the worst.

Door twist is far more of a problem.
Notice I have used quarter sawn timber for the door frames.This tends to minimise the risk of twist[together with floating panels]

Chumley
11th September 2008, 11:10 AM
Door twist is far more of a problem.
Notice I have used quarter sawn timber for the door frames.This tends to minimise the risk of twist[together with floating panels]

So how would you correct a door that is twisted? Is it possible to clamp it in a position where the twist is reversed, only more so, so that when you release the clamp it springs back to approximately flat?

Curiously,
Adam

Wongo
11th September 2008, 11:10 AM
Yes a very slight taper there.Caused by uneven floor resulting in cabinet twist.This is normal in cabinets like this.Tall cabinets are even more prone to doors going slightly out of square.

Then how come the gap below the door is so even? I would have thought that the supporting beam under cabinet would eliminate the twist.

Isaac Hunt
12th September 2008, 10:36 AM
Then how come the gap below the door is so even? I would have thought that the supporting beam under cabinet would eliminate the twist.

Wongo,
The rail underneath does stop some twist but not all.If you print out the image you will see the gaps are pretty even anyway.The displayed image is a bit weird.

Are you the O.F.A. here?

O.F.A. =Official Forum ????????.It seems every forum must have one.

Wongo
12th September 2008, 05:52 PM
No, we are just talking woodwork. :U

Andy Mac
12th September 2008, 07:04 PM
I like it a lot...thinking of a word without reverting to unique or original.:rolleyes: I think its dramatic!! There is a sense of drama, of performance. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. Love the different timbers together.:2tsup:

Cheers

Fuzzie
13th September 2008, 07:50 AM
I like it to. It does remind me of the Scandinavian designs. I hope it's final home will show off the floating effect from all sides, I wouldn't want to see this one jammed in a corner against a wall.