PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection for a small shop

Rubingr
17th March 2004, 08:22 PM
I have been reading about the problems with sawdust, and other airborn contaminates. But I am a little unsure what I really need. Basically I have run across plans for a cyclone system that will run me 500+, and little dust collectors for significantly less.
I guess I am a little unsure what a cyclone system is, and why it is a better option than a dust collector. Also why won't a shop-vac with a particulate seperator work?

Remember this is a small shop, with a single work bench, and a table saw off too the side. So if i needed to I could very easily move the hose from the shop-vac.

ozwinner
17th March 2004, 08:35 PM
Hi
I would be inclined to go for something like this for a small shop.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=50-850

Cyclones are good from what I read, but I think you should get a 2 bag dust collector ( DC ) especially for just a small workshop.
Unless you want to have a play, then build a cyclone, but you still need something to drive it, like a DC.
I would leave the vacuum cleaner type dust collector alone, I started out with this type, then went to a 1HP DC, the a 2HP DC.

Cheers, Allan, to be sure to be sure

Rubingr
17th March 2004, 08:51 PM
Oh I forgot to mention, thanks to where I live, I am capable of just dumping the air outside. And I am not sure about a 30 micron filter... thats still pretty large.