PDA

View Full Version : Which Riased Panel Bit?

Slavo
17th March 2004, 10:02 PM
G'day,

I'm looking to make some raised panel doors for a kitchen reno and was wondering what peoples experiences are with the different brands of raised panel bits available. I would prefer to use a horizontal bit with a back cutter.

If you use the theory that cost is proportional to quality then CMT appears to be the holy grail, but has anyone used the generic Timbecon/Carbatec sets and how do they handle timber such as brushbox or other hardwearing timbers?

Cheers

journeyman Mick
17th March 2004, 10:40 PM
Slavo
I have a huge mongrel (mixed breed) collection of router bits. Quite a few Carbatec and on the whole I'm happy with them. When I went to buy a set of kitchen door bits (rails/stiles/raised panel) it was actually cheaper to buy the CMT. They are very nice to use and I would recommend them. I think you'll find that there's not a big price difference between CMT and the cheaper bits, at least not when buying a set. I also figured that the accuracy of the fit between the stile and rail cutters might be better with the CMT. Fits like a glove on a chickens lip!

Mick

Slavo
24th March 2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks Mick,

I think I'll get the CMT set. I was originally leaning towards it but it's good to hear what other people think before you take the plunge.

Does anyone know where I can get space balls/panalign strips to stop the panel rattling around but allowing the timber to expand and contract? I've checked with my local hardware stores with no luck.

Cheers,
Slavo

silentC
24th March 2004, 10:45 AM
Slavo,

Apparently some of the mail order companies in the US sell the balls, so it might be worth doing a search on Google. Another idea I thought of trying was to use polystyrene balls like you get in beanbags but I'm not sure how well they would work.

Ben from Vic.
24th March 2004, 05:38 PM
Slavo,

If you put a small dob of glue in the middle of your panel (top and bottom) you won't have any problems with E 'n' C, and your panel won't rattle.

As an alternative to the space balls, I used some small tubing (like the stuff used for air in fish tanks, just a bit bigger), I got it from clark rubber. Pretty cheap, because you don't need much.

Ben

Rocker
24th March 2004, 07:45 PM
I use the black plastic stuff that is used for fixing insect screen in window frames.

Rocker

silentC
25th March 2004, 08:44 AM
Rocker,

We used to call that 'flyscreen spline' when I was in the window business.

That's a good idea. You can get it in various gauges. It also comes in grey - does it have to be black? ;)