PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Mahogany Extension Table

Lignum
7th September 2008, 10:13 PM
Add something to the new big thread:) Its an Eastern Mahogany extension table. 1500 X 900 extending to 2100mm. Made (apart from thicknesser) entirely using Festools. Such a great timber to use and reasonably priced at around 26 hundred a cube.

BobL
7th September 2008, 10:16 PM
Slick work Lignum, I wouldn't have though that such tapered legs would look so good!

jefferson
7th September 2008, 10:30 PM
Nice work indeed Lignum.

So what's eastern mahogany?

Jeff

Lignum
7th September 2008, 10:39 PM
This tapered leg is my favourite (for now) and the best part it uses 25% less timber than standard legs. Instead of laminating 8 @ 100 x 50 for four legs, I laminate 6 @ 100 x 50 into two lots of 3 then cut 2 legs out of each blank. It also has a bizarre illusion from some angles, you would swear they are angleg out to the back of the table.

Jeff, thanks, the timber is an Asian Mahogany but is heavier and more dense than other Mahoganys and its a beautifull golden brown with rays and specks in it as you walk around it. I will be useing heaps more of it now as i love the stuff.

Claw Hama
7th September 2008, 10:44 PM
Yes, very nice piece Lignum, was this your own design? What finish, type of glue, track type how long did it take and what colour are your eyes? Ok, you doen't have to tell us what glue you used. Is this for yourself or a job for someone else?:D

Lignum
7th September 2008, 11:13 PM
Yes, very nice piece Lignum, was this your own design? What finish, type of glue, track type how long did it take and what colour are your eyes? Ok, you doen't have to tell us what glue you used. Is this for yourself or a job for someone else?:D

Claw:) Yep my design, and my simple but effective runner design (below) The glue is Titebond 11 (titebond 111 turns to many timbers green)

The top boards were ripped with the Festool TS 75 then domino joined. And the panels in the top were sanded Festool BS105 belt sander, i sand with the sanding frame attached and 40# belt and it quickly becomes perfectly flat, i then go straight to 120# on the Festool 150/3 orbital. Then its sprayed with 100% gloss Amaroon lacquer.

Claw Hama
8th September 2008, 12:25 AM
Is that like a tounge & groove runner system you have made? Looks very simple.

Lignum
8th September 2008, 12:56 AM
Is that like a tounge & groove runner system you have made? Looks very simple.

It is a basic tounge and groove. Its nice and snug with paraffin wax for smooth sliding. Also a strip of black melamine edging has been ironed on to the top of the grooved rail, again for smooth running.

Claw Hama
8th September 2008, 12:58 AM
I love it when you talk dirty.

prozac
8th September 2008, 02:02 AM
Nice design Lignum. Reckon the design would transfer as well to a coffee table?

Lignum
8th September 2008, 10:23 AM
Nice design Lignum. Reckon the design would transfer as well to a coffee table?

Do you mean extension coffee table? that would be interesting.

Here is a link to ATF Port Melbourne for the Eastern Mahogany

http://www.afttimbers.com/Mahogany%20Eastern.htm

Andy Mac
8th September 2008, 11:16 AM
Fantastic piece Lignum.:2tsup: The legs look chunky (at the top) when in the closed down position, but come into their own when the top is extended.

Cheers

Wongo
8th September 2008, 11:32 AM
Great work bro. The wood is beautiful and you've done well as usual.

I am not so sure about the legs but again it only means my taste is different from yours. I always taper the legs slightly on the blind sides.

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Lignum
8th September 2008, 11:59 AM
Dare to be different Wongo:wink:

And your correct Andy how it looks more ballanced when open. Thats the downside of an extension table that doesnt split in the middle rail so the legs open out with the top.

Wongo
8th September 2008, 12:45 PM
Of course Lignum.:D

Picture 2 and 3 look a bit better but doesn't picture 1 remind you of the legs of a fat lady on high heels? :D :D :D

Lignum
8th September 2008, 01:17 PM
A different perspective on the Fat lady with high heels:)

LGS
8th September 2008, 01:23 PM
Came up really well Lig,

Regards,

Rob

Tex B
9th September 2008, 01:43 PM
Lovely work Lignum. Really like that timber.

How are the breadboard ends attached?

Tex

Lignum
9th September 2008, 02:15 PM
Tex, Dominos. The middle third of the top has tight Dominos glued in, the outer two thirds have Dominos tight and glued only into the end grain and “very” sparsely glued into elongated larger Domi mortises on the rail.
Those panels move freely in the side grooves. The extreme end of the Breadboard end has a large 56x32x10 Domi glued in tight. I find that’s the easiest way for movement using the Domino.

Peter36
14th September 2008, 02:30 PM
Great Design and execution Lignum . Where do you store the extension when not in use . :)
Peter