PDA

View Full Version : Sill ANot s

colbra
18th March 2004, 07:33 PM
It is my intension to buy a 14 inch band saw. Over the past week or so I have been reading with interest the forums on band saws at the same time looking in catalogues Re: Gasweld Toolex Hare & Forbes and Carba-tec in the main. I would only be spending between $300 to $500 on this saw after studying the form I thought I might get it from Hare & Forbes, the model is BP14A. I intend to buy a bearing pack for the guides & a good quality blade I am not sure whether the motor would be big enough for general work. I also looked at the BP300. Could I get some input from fellow woodworkers on this and if I am going in the right direction with things

Regards Colbra

DarrylF
18th March 2004, 08:24 PM
I'm not up on the current models - all I can tell you is I really like my Delta, but it's discontinued now.

Try and get yourself a reasonable fence - very handy.

Also - one blade is not going to do the job. Different blades for different cut types and different materials, dimensions etc. You're also likely to snap the odd blade at the best of times, and especially when you're learning to use it. They're reasonably cheap - $15 or so from Carbatec for mine. You can probably count on say 6 blades to be reasonably well set up, including an extra of whichever of the blades you find most useful.

gold leader
18th March 2004, 09:00 PM
I have the Hafco BP14A bandsaw, and its not a bad performer for the money. Definately invest in the roller guides though, and check that the lower guide bracket accepts them. I had to buy a replacement bracket as the lower one on mine had round guides, and the roller ones are square. Not sure if thats a scam or not....
The blade is pretty ordinary, a replacement improved it plenty. The only big gripe I have is that it vibrates a bit, but Im told that replacing the drive belt with a power link belt helps this. And my books also tell me to replace the cast pulleys with machined ones....
As for the motor, I find it plenty powerful enough, but I dont cut anything seriously heavy duty with it.
Hope this helps!!

AlexS
19th March 2004, 05:08 PM
I've had a H&F el cheapo 14" bandsaw for about 10 years, and think I've probably had value for money, despite having to replace a few bits over the years. I do quite a bit of veneer cutting on hardwoods up to 6".

The motor burned out - bought a 1hp replacement from Butler & smith in Hornsby - think they sell a few of them. A couple of the ball races have thrown in the towel - replaced them with better quality. The grub screw on one of the pulleys stripped - replaced with a bigger one. The upper wheel tilt assy. collapsed. Replaced - quality of the casting looks better now.

I haven't had vibration problems - guess I was lucky. Also, have heard of the table not being flat, but mine's OK.

Take on board what the others have said about blades and guides. I put in the delrin guides, which are an improvement. Take the time to set it up properly.

Enjoy.

colbra
20th March 2004, 04:46 PM
Well I brought it
BP-300 band saw 1hp motor roller bearing on guides top and bottom large table 480x400 only 305 throat but thats ok no vibration at all everything lines up 2 speed,(not sure of speeds) Fence & Mitre guide seems quite well made and is calibrated. microswitch protection on blade guard, frame steel, table cast iron
Was $536 got it for $509 I think its made in china, spare parts available (as long as we stay friends ) what do you think?

Regards Colbra

ps nice people to do business with at Hare & Forbes:)

Bob Willson
20th March 2004, 07:04 PM
Well done Colbra, That is the same one as I bought about 2 years ago for more $ and only one speed. I especially like the 180 mm capacity in height. I haven't had a skerrick of trouble with it yet and I only have the one blade on it too. It does everything. Not too hot on small sharp turns but then again I don't expect it to be, not when I am using a 1/2" blade. :)

The only things that I really don't like about it are the fence and the mitre guide. The fence just will not stay accurate and the mitre is very sloppy in the guide.

But these are minor whinges, overall I am quite happy with it and I expect/hope that you will be too.

PS the BP-300 cannot be extended to make it cut 12" in height.

colbra
21st March 2004, 12:01 PM
Well Bob there are two people in Australia with a BP300 :)
Do you think that there would be a full range of blades as with any 14 inch band saw, I would imagine that there would be what do you think
regards colbra