PDA

View Full Version : Cypress crotch piece

rsser
8th September 2008, 04:40 PM
Kindly donated by Calm (pictured).

It's a metre wide and 70 cm high.

Someone had at it with a chainsaw and gave up but it should still yield some lumps to rock the lathe.

Cliff Rogers
8th September 2008, 04:54 PM
Blokes with crane trucks are handy to know. :D

rsser
8th September 2008, 05:08 PM
Sure are.

He's pretty good at manhandling on his pat malone as well!

tea lady
8th September 2008, 05:11 PM
A few more to practice hollowing.:2tsup::D

rsser
8th September 2008, 05:33 PM
Zaccly.

DJ’s Timber
8th September 2008, 05:59 PM
Blokes with crane trucks are handy to know. :D

If he was in the crane truck, couldn't he have delivered something more worthwhile such as something like this :q :U

rsser
8th September 2008, 06:06 PM
Drop it in DJ and I'll give you a cuppa and 10 out of 10 :D

DJ’s Timber
8th September 2008, 06:12 PM
Argh :doh: too late mate :no: it all went up in smoke in my heater :o

rsser
8th September 2008, 06:19 PM
Aaargh !!!

tea lady
8th September 2008, 06:59 PM
Nothing else would go in or out of your driveway if that was in it Rssr!:rolleyes:

rsser
8th September 2008, 09:37 PM
We must make sacrifices for our art :rolleyes:

Calm
8th September 2008, 10:10 PM
.........Someone had at it with a chainsaw and gave up but it should still yield some lumps to rock the lathe.

Ern you might be able to get a large platter off the side where the cut doesnt effect - it would be about 150mm deep x 650mm or more across wouldnt it?

Doesnt it annoy you how some people have to "outdo" you every time.:(( Will have to look for bigger bits now.:-:wink::p:D

Cheers

hughie
8th September 2008, 10:20 PM
]We must make sacrifices for our art :rolleyes:

true, but leave your ear in one piece........:U

joe greiner
8th September 2008, 11:40 PM
Looks like more than a one-hand toss.

Here's a bad boy pine I rolled up from the back yard a few days ago. 32" diameter x 32" long. I estimate about 800-900lbs (365-400kg, unless I scrambled the conversion). I kicked a rock behind it as I went, and enabled curved travel by letting it roll back onto the rock offset to the outside of the curve. I have no idea what I'll do with it, just needed the exercise. And there are more still in the back yard. My first thought was practice blanks for large bowls, but now I'm not so sure how to move much farther.

Joe

jefferson
8th September 2008, 11:43 PM
Geez, Ern

I must come down for a visit before you turn all that good wood away. Otherwise, tell the rest of us when you are visiting the snow again and we'll raid your shed.

Just spent the best part of 2 hours watching (again) the Mike Darlow DVD on turning bowls and..... more confused than ever. Apparently I need 3 different gouges for shapes A, B and C. Forget it. I've bought my last turning tool for the week. (Did I say that?)

The technical stuff is just too technical. Probably important once you are up to speed, but, frankly, it's boring.

Jeff

rsser
9th September 2008, 07:17 AM
Yeah, there's a limit to what you can get from videos and Darlow ain't everyone's cuppa anyway.

There are some bowlturning vids in webland which may give you another angle.

rsser
9th September 2008, 07:23 AM
Ern you might be able to get a large platter off the side where the cut doesnt effect it

Yep, be worth shooting for, if only for the experience of doing a metre wide platter.

tea lady
9th September 2008, 10:21 AM
Looks like more than a one-hand toss.

Here's a bad boy pine I rolled up from the back yard a few days ago. 32" diameter x 32" long. I estimate about 800-900lbs (365-400kg, unless I scrambled the conversion). I kicked a rock behind it as I went, and enabled curved travel by letting it roll back onto the rock offset to the outside of the curve. I have no idea what I'll do with it, just needed the exercise. And there are more still in the back yard. My first thought was practice blanks for large bowls, but now I'm not so sure how to move much farther.

Joe
Maybe you could move the lathe next to the woodpile instead?:D

WillBrook
9th September 2008, 12:20 PM
Doesnt it annoy you how some people have to "outdo" you every time.:((

Yeah they must be lacking in other areas

Nice piece Ern. Looking forward to seeing the results

Barry_White
9th September 2008, 01:08 PM
Nice catch Ern.

Here is a couple I've got lying around. The first couple of pics are of an old Cypress pine that died about four years ago. I counted the rings and it was about 120 years old. I.ve been cutting it up for fire wood. Have to keep warm up in the New England Tablelands.

The other one is part of the trunk about two thirds up the tree of a Yellow Box that Country Energy cut down about 20 years ago because they thought it was too close to the high voltage power lines.

There is only one problem with these I would have to cut them up into very small bits to fit in my Jet Mini.

robutacion
9th September 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty certain rsser, you will find some workable timber on that log, well it looks big enough, anyways!

Talking about big logs (heavy stuff), handle them from paddock home and afterwards, can be an absolute nightmare, if one doesn't have the strength or the mechanic/electric capabilities. I most certainly need to come up with an idea that can be used anywhere and at anytime. I'm thinking in a 2 X 3 leg round metal frame ( Indian tent type) with a lifting chain head, that rolls from one end to the other, on a steel cable connecting and anchoring the leg frame into place. I will start to transfer the pic in my head into paper, as soon as I can:).

I will have pics of those Poplar logs I cut recently, Wednesday, but in continuation to the subject of the thread (more or less), I share a couple of pics of logs that I've been handling in recent times, ouch...:doh:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

hughie
9th September 2008, 01:32 PM
I will have pics of those Poplar logs I cut recently, Wednesday, but in continuation to the subject of the thread (more or less), I share a couple of pics of logs that I've been handling in recent times, ouch...

Hmmm, thats a couple of life times worth of turning there. Maybe you can turn giant platters, it might work out, stay away from goblets though..........:U

robutacion
10th September 2008, 03:19 AM
Hmmm, thats a couple of life times worth of turning there. Maybe you can turn giant platters, it might work out, stay away from goblets though..........:U

Only if...! hughie, those pics show only about 1/5 of what I've got stored at the moment. Tomorrow, I will bring to the storage paddock another 5 cubic meters of cut Poplar logs. At home (sheds), I should have in excess of 600 blanks, mostly rounded of many timber species, together with all sorts of logs, sealed, unsealed, etc., all stored under cover and in vary drying stages, all together about 10 cubic meters or just over.:priveyes:
Visitors are welcome...!
:bbq2::drinks_wine::coffee: OR :band:

RBTCO

rsser
11th September 2008, 04:26 PM
Hmm, well my post wasn't meant to be all about me RBTCO.

Was just wanting to acknowledge Calm's kindness.

Bazza, those are some nice lumps.

If you wanted to cut some YB 4x4s I'd be interested. Add to the pieces kindly donated by DJ for the scraper experiments.

tea lady
11th September 2008, 05:10 PM

He is pretty good isn't he.:D:2tsup:

robutacion
12th September 2008, 02:18 AM
Hmm, well my post wasn't meant to be all about me RBTCO.

Bazza, those are some nice lumps.

If you wanted to cut some YB 4x4s I'd be interested. Add to the pieces kindly donated by DJ for the scraper experiments.

Sure, I never said that it wasn't...! :D
I wasn't so much referring from where the log come from (anyway, lucky you!), but more on the fact that is a fair size log to handle (cut/slab/rip, etc.), and that is something that not everyone would be willing to do. On the other hand, I like to work with large timbers and slice them into manageable pieces or workable size pieces.:)

RBTCO

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th September 2008, 04:16 AM
Ern, when are you setting up the overhead gantry like ? You'll need one now that you're getting into the deep-boring side of things. :oo:

(And don't forget to let us know when you throw both halves of the metre-wide platter onto the whoops pile, so I can snaffle 'em for pen blanks... :innocent:)

rsser
12th September 2008, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I've looked at a block and tackle but the garage was a post-war austerity job and the rafters over the lathe are double spaced and not good for much :(

A cheap engine hoist might be the go if there were space.

Or half a dozen Pacific island guest workers :wink:

hughie
12th September 2008, 01:21 PM
Or half a dozen Pacific island guest workers :wink:

Nah, just one wood do. :U

rsser
12th September 2008, 01:43 PM
heheh ... one hulking Fijian.

Skew, there'll be about a squillion pen blanks left when I've blocked the beast down. All yours!

Any case, the full-length sound bit is compromised by some flutes on the outside ... though that will still leave good size end-grain hollowing bits of about 35cm. More than enough to bend a 5/8" shaft, which as I recall we managed on a p*ssy little bowl at the last turn-fest at my place.

tea lady
12th September 2008, 02:37 PM
heheh ... one hulking Fijian.

Skew, there'll be about a squillion pen blanks left when I've blocked the beast down. All yours!

Any case, the full-length sound bit is compromised by some flutes on the outside ... though that will still leave good size end-grain hollowing bits of about 35cm. More than enough to bend a 5/8" shaft, which as I recall we managed on a p*ssy little bowl at the last turn-fest at my place.

We bent a shaft.....? ???????? ........II didn't know there was such opportunity for inuendo in woodturning.:D Crotch pieces, turn-ons, shafts, knobs, tools..............knockout bars.:rolleyes:

rsser
12th September 2008, 02:40 PM
.. sockets, headstems, set screws, friction polish ... lol, glad I don't have Net Nanny installed.

tea lady
12th September 2008, 02:43 PM
I wonder if they will finally relegate talk of crotches to the Orange room.:rolleyes::D

And what exactly do you want with a figian?:sleaze:

rsser
12th September 2008, 02:57 PM
I would want his greater power TL.

And just in case your convent upbringing meant you missed some of the eloquent allusions above I'm happy to enlighten you:

Friction polish: better result with hard pressing
Headstock: should be mounted with a delicate touch
Socket: has to suit the application so variable size is good

... just a flash or two before the mod deletes it all ;-}

Editors Note: Naughty Ern

tea lady
12th September 2008, 03:06 PM
I would want his greater power TL.

And just in case your convent upbringing meant you missed some of the eloquent allusions above I'm happy to enlighten you:

Friction polish: better result with hard pressing
Headstock: should be mounted with a delicate touch

... just a flash or two before the mod deletes it all ;-}
So you need more than one? :?

Editors Note: Tsk! Tsk!

rsser
12th September 2008, 04:19 PM
And could you make a codpiece out of your crotch piece?:rolleyes:

Might cover a Fijian ... ;-}

Calm
12th September 2008, 07:49 PM
I'm amazed at what you can get out of an old peice of Cypress. - imagine if it was yellow box or hairy oak

Ern, we'll organise a bike trip to Ballan one day and you can select some better bits for the deep hollowing.

Cheers

Editors Note: Now it reads reasonably

TTIT
12th September 2008, 11:28 PM
Might cover a Fijian ... ;-}....but not a Brazilian !!:U

Ah what the hell -- it was waiting for that:;

watson
12th September 2008, 11:43 PM
Tsk! Tsk! Tsk! people
Raise the standard a bit please

Calm
12th September 2008, 11:46 PM
Tsk! Tsk! Tsk! people

Ern & TL started it :banhim2::banned:

watson
12th September 2008, 11:48 PM
Dobber........

BobL
13th September 2008, 12:10 AM
Funny how no one said a single thing when I posted this (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=77675&d=1215863892) picture.

watson
13th September 2008, 12:16 AM
Nah Bob that's art :D

tea lady
13th September 2008, 12:47 AM
Tsk! Tsk! Tsk! people

Sorry sir.:C:D

rsser
14th September 2008, 06:27 AM
No worries.

Next time we'll aim not for double entendres but one and a halves ;-}