PDA

View Full Version : planer/thicknesser

jow104
19th March 2004, 02:43 AM
Any forum members any experience with this type of planer/thicknesser?

Interested to know if worth buying or should I go for the more weighty and more expensive type of machine.

DPB
19th March 2004, 09:05 AM
I think the answer to your question depends entirely on your intended usage.

It is definitely not suitable for commercial or heavy use.

However, if you are a weekend warrior, then it is likely this unit will serve you well. I recently purchased one of these used from a member who has moved up to two larger stand alone units.

I find the combo unit completely adequate for the usage I give it. I also have space limitations, so this meets this second need.

:)

Wild Dingo
22nd March 2004, 12:16 AM
Im in the throws of trying to decide whether to get a stand alone thicknesser and a stand alone jointer... 10inch? nope will be a damned sight smaller than that gawd what the price for one of those here would be terrifies the blazes out of me!

But presently space is a tad limited... hopefully it will improve but for now Im having trouble visualizing the table saw, the bandsaw, the thicknesser, the jointer, the router table, the dust unit, the benches, the cupboards, the canoe and all the sundry other gunk that has accumulated in that 20 x 20 space!!... I just cant see dedicated machines happening!... mmmm but then maybe with a set of wheels under them? push em to the side after use?... could work I guess.

Im going to head down to timbercon in the next week or so to check their dedicated and combined units out... I looked through their catalogue from last year and to be honest price wise theres not a heck of a lot of difference between getting the dedicated machines over a combo unit... it seems to be totally dictated by what space you have.

Suggestions??

bobz
23rd March 2004, 02:54 PM
Hello jow104,
The planer in the picture looks like a taiwanese copy of the Electra Beckum HC250 that I own. I beleive is is branded as a SIP. Yes, buy it. It`s still a good quality machine, my one is a real workhorse, I certainly won`t wear it out in my lifetime. If you shop around you could purchase the Elektra at not much more than the price for this machine. The advantage of the Elektra is that you can buy a lockbar conversion kit for the cutter block, plus a set of reshapenable planer blades. With the SIP, ( if it is this model ), you can only use disposable blades which are quite pricey to replace.

DaveInOz
23rd March 2004, 04:26 PM
Must be a generic - see this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7835)

Dean
24th March 2004, 12:30 AM
Yep its the PT-260 as badged and sold by all the aussie retailers and owned by several on these forums :)

bobz
24th March 2004, 02:39 PM
And here`s the original Elektra Beckum version.

Wurzell
10th October 2018, 07:30 AM
I can’t see the photos can anyone explain why
i looked in the FAQ but didn’t find an answer

ian
10th October 2018, 07:49 AM
I can’t see the photos can anyone explain why
i looked in the FAQ but didn’t find an answer
This thread is 14 years old.
sometime between then and about 5(?) years ago the forums had a melt down and all photos were lost.

Wurzell
12th October 2018, 06:59 AM
This thread is 14 years old.
sometime between then and about 5(?) years ago the forums had a melt down and all photos were lost.
Thanks