PDA

View Full Version : New Storer Boat Plans?

Joost
9th September 2008, 10:21 AM
Hello Mik,

Looking at your boat plans (the small open boats especially) you seem to have a good range of boats suiting a lot of people’s likings.

My personal 3 favourites: the GIS, Eureka and the Handy Punt. I seem to have been caught by the boatbuilding virus and might start looking for a new build when I have finished my GIS. Although I like the Handy Punt, motoring in the Netherlands is not much fun due to a lot of speed regulations. The Eureka looks like a nice project (and for sure a faster build than the GIS!). Also a canoe will provide access to a lot of our Dutch waterways where bigger craft can’t go. It weighs almost nothing, so it will be very easy to cartop. All in all, I might settle on this one, as it will definitely be a very nice addition to the GIS.

But, to come back to my first sentence: there seems to be a gap, size wise, between the PDR and the GIS… So the question is, and I am pretty sure it is on other people’s minds as well: are you planning on designing something good looking, nice sailing and proper rowing (along GIS’ or Eureka’s lines) in the 3.50 - 3.60 meter (about 11 ft 6 inches) range???

I know you are currently working hard on the Raid 41 design, but it might be fun discussing what kind of new Storer boat plans this audience would be interested in.

Kind regards, Joost

Joost
11th April 2009, 11:00 AM
Hello,

360 views of this particular post later, I still have this question in the back of my head: do you have any other boats in the works, and if so, also something about one and a half sheets of ply long with excellent sailing qualities?

I know there are lots of boats out there around the 11-12 foot mark, but nothing quite looking like or construction wise a GIS...

Probably asking for too much here, :D, and I don’t know much about designing boats, but I still wonder about the following:
- 11 - 12 ft long
- maybe 4 1/2 ft wide
- appr. 6 and a bit square meters of sail, balanced lug rig
- daggerboard and OZ style rudder box
- classic looks
- light weight

Kind Regards,

Joost

Boatmik
11th April 2009, 07:48 PM
One day I will do a smaller one Joost, but it is a long way off. As I am planning to move around the world a bit more ... at least countries cheaper to live in that Australia for the moment.

So next big project after the RAID is to organise for my plans to be printed into books so I don't need to be in Australia to provide plans on paper.

Michael

Joost
21st April 2009, 04:20 AM
I will keep you to your promise now! :2tsup:

And I don't mind volunteering building the prototype. :)

Joost