PDA

View Full Version : That'll teach me!!

Mark Woodward
14th February 2000, 11:40 PM
There I was thinking I was on a winner. Videos on router joinery, colouring wood and applying topcoats ordered from the USA for a steal. Only to find they wont work. They're all VHS but there's different types of VHS isn't there!! Does anyone know if I can get NTSC VHS ( the US type) converted to PAL VHS ( the Oz type)????
Take this as a warning when buying on the net, it's not always smooth sailing!!!!
Mark

DonN
15th February 2000, 07:32 PM
I think you can get a converter which sits on top of your video played, from Dick Smith stores.
I have one but I bought it second hand a long time ago and no it is not for sale. I would not be able to watch the basketball.
DonN

ubeaut
16th February 2000, 01:22 AM
G'day Mark

Yes they can be converted from NTSC to PAL but you will need to find a studio that does it. There are a few around in Vic. I suggest you get the Yellow Pages and let your fingers do the walking. Look under Video Production &/or Duplication, there should be plenty. But be warned. The conversion will probably cost almost as much as the original.

Cheers
Neil

Mark Woodward
17th February 2000, 09:31 PM
There's a few options:
I looked into it and there's someone here ( Dubbo) who'll do it for $30 a video.

I could also buy a NTSC PB machine for $250!!

The videos would have cost me $55 here to buy. I paid $16.95 US plus postage ( $70US for 3 vids and 3 books, one of which I know costs $60 here but only $19.95 US. So I still think I came out well in front.

Of all these options I think the new machines the way I'll end up going. Most new players will play NTSC. It'll depend on whether or not I end up buying more videos.
Mark.

[This message has been edited by Mark Woodward (edited 17 February 2000).]

Gary Brabham
21st February 2000, 01:28 AM
Most newish VCRs will play NTSC as well as PAL and Secam, I know ours does. Check your model with a service agent or look for a toggle switch somewhere. Otherwise find a mate with a fairly new machine.