PDA

View Full Version : Sailing boat: Registration, Licencing, Insurance?

nickpullen
10th September 2008, 03:51 PM
Hi All.

Im just worndering, Im building a PD Racer, and want to know if i have to register it? and whats the go with insurance? against accidents and such. Im in QLD btw... I just sont want to end up in hot water.

Thanks

bitingmidge
10th September 2008, 05:50 PM
Nick,

If it has a motor less than 4hp it doesn't need to be registered.

I don't insure my boats, but make sure they are covered under the car third party property policy if they fall off a trailer and hit a Benz coming the other way!

I suppose there's a risk that someone could injure themselves while playing with you and sue you for your troubles, but it's one I'm prepared to take.

In legit racing events, the clubs used to be covered by an AYF 3rd party policy I think, but I seriously ignore all that stuff and just get on with having fun!

I don't mean that irresponsibly, but the risks are incredibly slight.

cheers,

P
:)

nickpullen
10th September 2008, 08:28 PM
Ok, so what happens if you are out sailing and you run into one of these $872 240 432 boats out there? Wouldn't some sort of third party property cover be a good idea?

Boatmik
10th September 2008, 09:11 PM
Howdy,

If you are worried it generally is pretty cheap to insure things you might hit!!!

But while a $399 car can do a lot of damage to a $872 240 432 one ...
a $399 boat is unlikely to do much damage to a $872 240 432 one

Probably more risk doing damage to some small but fragile racing craft. If you go racing I would be insured for something you might hit ... just for social responsibility. If you are not racing then there is probably little that you can hit that you can damage in much of a way.

But if you think it is a good idea ... then you can get third party. If you want to protect your own boat then there are some insurance companies that still deal with wooden boats. Duckflat has found one recently (a bunch of people that left on of the big companies to focus on niches that the large companies were avoiding)
www.duckflatwoodenboats.com
08 8381 3988

MIK

MIK

grayman
11th September 2008, 12:40 AM
The problem is though it may cost you $20,000 in legal costs to discover that your not liable for damage that somebody says you caused. Your insurance covers this. If you have assets then protect them, because they will come after you if the other party thinks they can recover costs and that usually means another insurance company. You really do need the insurance.

bitingmidge
11th September 2008, 08:01 AM
Again it's a question of risk.

Try to imagine the circumstance under which the damage will occur, and the cost of repairing it.

I've seen sailing dinghies bump moored craft, but mostly because the speeds are very low and the mass and therefore inertia is not much, no or negligable damage results. That's a rare, or even extremely rare occurrence though.

I'm not advocating no insurance by the way, I just don't see that the risk in this particular case justifies the effort.

Gerry and Nicola have insured Jack of Mudjimba (the GIS) and that involved a surveyor supervising the work as it was being built.

Insurance was one of the reasons WBAQ stopped running organised outings. Now they are just informal gatherings of like minded people who get together at a prearranged time and advertise their intention in the magazine! ;)

Cheers,

P

Honorary Bloke
11th September 2008, 08:18 AM
Im in QLD btw... I just sont want to end up in hot water.

Thanks

If you live in QLD, I don't see how you can help ending up in hot water! :U

Very few boats of that size over here are insured. All are registered, as we have a personal property tax on them that requires it. But I can't see spending a packet on insurance with such a low risk. [Umph! Agreeing with Midge. I hate when that happens.] :D

damian
11th September 2008, 08:46 AM
I had my caper cat insured with suncorp (I'm in Brisbane). 3rd party was about $90 and comprehensive was about$150. On top of that I had the $60/yr trailer rego. I think those are starting prices for the premiums, ie anything under $X is going to be that. Note tehy don't cover racing, only what they call twighlight racing. I don't know what that is. Anyway it was cheap boating.

Understand that the laws on boats differ from state to state. It probably won't affect you but if you do drag it down to NSW be aware of the differences. In Qld assuming you don't put a whopper outboard on it you don't need anything. 4 hp rego, 6 hp licence. In NSW ANYTHING over 5 meters I think has to be registered and I think if it's registered you need a licence.

Have fun. Small boats are great...

Daddles
11th September 2008, 09:12 AM
What are the motor laws here in South Australia? I had an idea you had to register it if it had any sized motor fitted.

Regarding the insurance - if you want to spend the money, go for it for the reasons mentioned above. If you don't or can't, it's not a problem either and that's the route I'll be taking.

Richard

Boatmik
11th September 2008, 10:51 AM
Insurance was one of the reasons WBAQ stopped running organised outings.

Now they are just informal gatherings of like minded people who get together at a prearranged time and advertise their intention in the magazine! ;)

Cheers,

P

Once apon a time that was exactly how almost every sailing club or sailing organisation started too.

We need more of it now! More social interaction! Builders and families voting with their feet!!!

At least once the weather warms up.

I'll be going to a SA one for an hour tomorrow (Friday)

MIK

grayman
11th September 2008, 11:42 AM
In Victoria all power boats are required to be registered and a licence is required to operate them. Stupid really when a licence is not required to operate a hire boat.And some of these are very big 38ft cruisers such as is used on the Gippsland lakes. If you have a look at the Bulls Cruisers web site you will see what I mean.I agree that the insurance risks are minimal on very small boats but if you think insurance too expensive then think about this one. Insurance premiums costs are directly related to the claims paid. High claims then high premiums Graham:)

jmk89
11th September 2008, 02:24 PM
Here are the NSW vessel reistration requirements (http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/rego.html).

A sailing boat under 5.5m (or in some exempted classes - Flying Dutchman, LWT Sharpie, Tornado) does not need one nor does a non-commercial vessel with only a 5hp motor.

Boatmik
11th September 2008, 02:44 PM
hmm ...

anyone for a 5.4m long hydrofoil borne canoe that does 22 knots under a 5hp outboard?

MIK

Daddles
11th September 2008, 07:27 PM
hmm ...

anyone for a 5.4m long hydrofoil borne canoe that does 22 knots under a 5hp outboard?

MIK

Only if it's made out of balsa :wink:

Richard

b.o.a.t.
11th September 2008, 10:50 PM
hmm ...

MIK

Sounds like fun.
Just so long as you finish the SEB design first !!

AJ

soundman
12th September 2008, 12:29 PM
hmm ...

MIK

I think in NSW you would have to register it because it does over 10Kts (I think)

In QLD it used to be anything that would plane & had a motor......they just simplified it to 4 HP....I don't know if the plane but still stands.

cheers