PDA

View Full Version : Solo Sailing for Goat Island Skiff

jlbuddha
11th September 2008, 07:24 AM
Hello all this is my first post!

I am a relatively new sailor with two years of experience.

I bought my first boat last year which was a Coronado 15.

It was a decent boat but it was hard to rig properly and took a long time to rig even with two people.

I was frustrated with it so I sold it.

After perusing the internet I came across the Goat Island Skiff and was attracted to it because of its simplicity and clean design and pretty look.

I will be doing mostly solo sailing since none of my friends or family are sailors.

With such a large sail and since I am kind of a small person at only 5'6 I am wondering if I will be overpowered by the boat if I run into strong winds.

I live in San Diego and really there are rarely strong winds but it does happen on occasion.

I was wondering if I built one if it would be better for me to make the sail smaller or the boat smaller or maybe both?

Also how does is sail compared to say a Laser?

Thanks in advance.

keyhavenpotter
11th September 2008, 08:08 AM
Hi, have a look at the thread "Solo Expedition Sailboat" in the thread list below. She will be smaller than GIS and specifically designed for sailing single-handed. Brian

jlbuddha
11th September 2008, 08:25 AM
Is it ready yet?

Any specs on it?

How does it compare to the GIS?

Maximuss
11th September 2008, 08:42 AM
Hey :)

I'm also new for sailing and i do belive that GIS is the right choice, i'm in the progress of building one now. Everybody is telling me that it's easy to sail solo and if you take a look on videos and images you can see that they are right about that. One thing you can do is to put some sandbags in the middle until you learn how GIS is behaving. I know that there is some that have used that. I will also sail alone or with my 2 kids so i will properly use the sandbag too. Another solution to aid weight is to use glassfibre on the plywood (but dont say that to Mik :p) i will do it, but thats becouse of the rough on shore we have where im gonna sail.
I also know Mik (the designer) would say that you not should making the boat smallere, i dont know about making the sail smallere or how a laser rig is compared to the lug.

m2c1Iw
11th September 2008, 09:12 AM
G'day Buddha,
The lug sail has provision for a relatively deep reef point so for a bit of a breeze and solo set the reef before venturing out and Bobs your uncle. You say San Diego has predominately gentle breezes so after you have gotten used to the boat you will want the full sail area for the exitement and to blow off any nearby boaty.
My thoughts are don't mess with the sail plan the designer puts a lot of thought into size, centre of effort etc to acheive the desired performance characteristics so any modification may leave you dissappointed.

My thoughts
Mike

Boatmik
11th September 2008, 10:23 AM
Hey :)

SNIP

Another solution to aid weight is to use glassfibre on the plywood (but dont say that to Mik :p) i will do it, but thats becouse of the rough on shore we have where im gonna sail.
I also know Mik (the designer) would say that you not should making the boat smallere, i dont know about making the sail smallere or how a laser rig is compared to the lug.

Howdy Maximuss,

Don't think I won't see comments like this!!! My eyes are always watching!

The 'glass won't make enough difference to improve stability, just increase the weight you have to carry!

But for the original comments ... I always do have some small concern about recommending the GIS for singlehanders because it really is a two person boat.

However, the sail does reef easily and some have made use of a couple of 40lb sandbags under the middle seat while they are getting used to the boat.

The Solo/RAID is some way off as a plan for a first time boatbuilder. I am hoping that the basic drawings for experienced builders will proceed smoothly and not take me too long.

BTW ... never hold your breath while I am designing a boat. It does take a long time!

Best wishes
Michael

jlbuddha
11th September 2008, 11:26 AM
Michael

Which boat do you recommend for solo sailing?

arbordg
12th September 2008, 02:33 AM
Howdy Maximuss,

But for the original comments ... I always do have some small concern about recommending the GIS for singlehanders because it really is a two person boat.

However, the sail does reef easily and some have made use of a couple of 40lb sandbags under the middle seat while they are getting used to the boat.

Best wishes
Michael

This is the fourth year we've used our GIS, and the second year as a sailboat. As a sailor, I was a complete beginner when I first stepped the mast in Sisu. The first day sailing, I went out solo and did an unintentional gybe (didn't even know the term before that day) and capsized the boat. After that, I started sailing more with another body in the boat, and it made a big difference. If I was gonna go out solo, I tucked a 70# sandbag along each side of the centerboard case - or 140# total. That helped a lot too.

So, as Mik says, she's more stable with two people, but a little removable ballast can readily achieve the same result. By the end of the first year with the sandbags, I wasn't using them often. I haven't used them this year at all. It doesn't really take that long to get used to the boat enough that they aren't usually necessary - even for a beginner. However, I still have them, and would use them again if I know I was gonna be out solo on a day with stiff winds, or with strong gusts (or perhaps if I wanted to sail without ever having to set my mug of Rum down :wink:).

For the most part, I just enjoy the speed and responsiveness that the lighter weight allows. If the wind gets a little squirrely, I just try to stay a bit more nimble & alert. :U It's also nice that she'll take a third, and even a fourth body and still be fun to sail. As you add more weight, she does slow down a bit, and she gets a lot more stable, but she's still lots of fun and pretty quick.

"There is a time for adventure. There is a time for planning. I choose to plan for adventure"

jlbuddha
12th September 2008, 05:30 AM
I guess I don't want to put 70 lb bags in my boat during a learning curve.

I am looking for a boat that is simple to build, easy to rig, can be sailed solo and can go fast but not overpower me.

I would like a wooden boat since they are so pretty.

Somehow I think that a Laser radial may be the choice for me but they are kind of commonplace.

arbordg
12th September 2008, 05:46 AM

What's your objection/concern regarding sandbags?

I found them to be quite handy. The ones I got from the tire shop (used for traction in winter months) are long and skinny... fit neatly beside the daggerboard case. They stayed in place nicely - though I did consider for a while strapping them in with shock cord. They are soft against body parts. They didn't object to dampness. If the worst were to ever occur, and you tipped the boat over, they'd just slither over the side and sink. They're inexpensive - so no great loss. They're soft, so they wouldn't tear up the boat on the way out.

My only objection was carrying them from the truck to the boat. One sandbag on each shoulder makes a load, esp. when you add 3 spars (w/sail attached), outboard, gas can, etc. Of course, if you'd be willing to make multiple trips, I imagine it'd be a bit easier :p

"I have so much time and so little to do. Strike that, reverse it" -- Roald Dahl

jlbuddha
12th September 2008, 06:03 AM
Well maybe.

I doubt I would ever have 3 other people in the boat, I will be doing mostly solo or maybe one other person.

Maybe Michael will have his solo design ready when I am ready to build.

b.o.a.t.
12th September 2008, 07:44 AM
I am looking for a boat that is simple to build, easy to rig, can be sailed solo and can go fast but not overpower me.
I would like a wooden boat since they are so pretty.

Get the sail made with 2 or even 3 sets of reef points in it.
Start deep-reefed, & shake 'em out as you gain experience & confidence.

Or, as you suggest, wait for the Solo boat design.
GIS is a well-established design with many afloat & the bugs already sorted.
SEB is still early in its development, & may be a slightly more complex beastie for a 1st-time builder. (Hoping MIK remembers to leave a generous 6'4" of sleeping space in the SEB for me..)

cheers
AJ

Boatmik
12th September 2008, 09:05 AM
Hey Guys,

Thankyou VERY much for responding to Jlbuddha guys.

And hope that was helpful jl,

I was interested to see how the forum would work ... and particularly hoping that David would be along because he started off in a pretty similar situation.

I am really reluctant to say what boat of mine is the best for some purpose. Everyone is so different in the way they think, approach things and respond to them. And my main problem is I find it hard to drop into the learner's perspective.

The other reason is that a boat that is pretty suitable for learning (say the PDRacer) may not be the most suitable boat for the person a year or so down the track. Maybe it turns into mostly solo sailing like David, or suddenly the boat is being used for racing against fast boats or there are two other people you want to go cruising with.

So needs change too.

I hope there is enough firm data there to help.

A question for David ... Those are really hefty sandbags ... do you reckon (OZ for think) lighter bags would work.

I remember cruising in my racing NS14 as a teenager and remember how stable the boat became with the camping gear stowed low and central. Do you think lighter bags would work as well?

Michael

arbordg
12th September 2008, 09:36 AM
Hey Guys,

A question for David ... Those are really hefty sandbags ... do you reckon (OZ for think) lighter bags would work.

I remember cruising in my racing NS14 as a teenager and remember how stable the boat became with the camping gear stowed low and central. Do you think lighter bags would work as well?

Michael

Mik - Waddya mean Hefty? Not that heavy at all. I guess if you're 4'11" and built like a ballet dancer, you might have to go back for a second trip... but for a real man, they're no problem at all. (That's why I always have my sons do the lifting & carrying - or whine & cry about my old Professional Wrestling injuries if I'm sailing with someone else :roll:)

Seriously, I'm sure that a lesser weight, well situated, would work OK too. When my youngest was about 90#, adding him as ballast worked a treat.

"Force without wisdom falls of its own weight" -- Sophocles

jlbuddha
12th September 2008, 01:49 PM
Interesting points.

Michael what do you think if I reef the sails enough would that make it a more manageable boat for solo sailing?

Also maybe two 30-45 lb bags do you think would work?

Daddles
12th September 2008, 03:34 PM
Interesting points.

Michael what do you think if I reef the sails enough would that make it a more manageable boat for solo sailing?

Also maybe two 30-45 lb bags do you think would work?

Mate, you're over thinking it. Just build the thing and put in a few reefing points - you'll soon work out which ones you don't need and which ones you do. It's probably dead easy to add another if you discover you need it.

As for sandbags? You now know they can help but also that the boat goes quite nicely without them. They aren't built into the hull, you can decide to get some at any time. Similarly, they aren't expensive so if you get them and never use them, it doesn't matter.

The main points are - the GIS WILL work for a solo, inexperienced sailor. That learning period is probably fairly short if you get out regularly and after that, the GIS is a GREAT boat for experienced sailors. Only build a beginners boat if you're planning to build another boat or plan to stay a beginner forever (like I seem to be doing :-).

There are reasons for not building a GIS (eg, it was designed by a vegetarian leprechaun who's reluctantly given up launching new boats over live sacrifices), but suitability for you and your situation are not among them. :wink:

Richard

b.o.a.t.
12th September 2008, 08:37 PM
Seriously, I'm sure that a lesser weight, well situated, would work OK too. When my youngest was about 90#, adding him as ballast worked a treat.

How did you get him into the sand-bag, Dave? :U

Boatmik
12th September 2008, 11:10 PM
(and have you let him out yet?)

(maybe when he's 18?)

arbordg
13th September 2008, 02:06 AM
No way I'd ever get him into the bag, but I've been tempted at times. The recipe would go like this: First divide into pieces no larger than a soccer ball...

The 20 year old is grown into a fine young man. At 15, this one is even more of a trial & a worry than his brother was. Might not make it till 18 before I sell him to the cannibals... or maybe the pirates - he'd fit in well there.

"Sickness and healing are in every heart. Death and deliverance in every hand" -- Orson Scott Card

arbordg
13th September 2008, 02:46 AM
Mate, you're over thinking it. Just build the thing and put in a few reefing points - you'll soon work out which ones you don't need and which ones you do. It's probably dead easy to add another if you discover you need it.

As for sandbags? You now know they can help but also that the boat goes quite nicely without them. They aren't built into the hull, you can decide to get some at any time. Similarly, they aren't expensive so if you get them and never use them, it doesn't matter.

The main points are - the GIS WILL work for a solo, inexperienced sailor. That learning period is probably fairly short if you get out regularly and after that, the GIS is a GREAT boat for experienced sailors. Only build a beginners boat if you're planning to build another boat or plan to stay a beginner forever (like I seem to be doing :-).

There are reasons for not building a GIS (eg, it was designed by a vegetarian leprechaun who's reluctantly given up launching new boats over live sacrifices), but suitability for you and your situation are not among them. :wink:

Richard

Richard,

You're right, of course, and this is a brilliant post.

However... I can understand his caution. The buddhaman is just trying to gather information, create some context, and develop a level of comfort. I can relate. I know when I started thinking about building a boat for the first time, I felt pretty ignorant, and had no idea how to begin the process of even deciding which boat might be suitable. Since I have a bit of academic background, I shifted into research mode... and soon came up with a list of potential designs. Then I went out and solicited opinions. The buddha is simply doing his version of the same process. I'm certainly willing to help him along the way.

In the end, we chose to build the Goat Island Skiff. I've written at length about how well she fitted our expectations. My biggest disappointment is that the boat did not come with hot & cold running redheads. Actually, the redheads do appear every so often, but it's sporadic, and then the next thing you know, they are indeed running! :oo: All in all, it's just not working as I'd imagined it. :p Despite that design flaw, I've been more than pleased with the boat. Additionally, I've gotten to know Mik a bit. Certainly an unexpected bonus.

"When someone asks you, a penny for your thoughts, and you put your two cents in, what happens to the other penny?" -- George Carlin